First Hydro Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by MozeysBuds, Mar 18, 2015.

1. So i just pulled open my cubes and these seeds were all bad, or maybe i just didnt do something right... ill soak my cubes a little better this time RESET!

Ill let you guys know my new seeds asap :D 1427143881605-1379913240.jpg

2. So ive decided to grow 3 of these seeds i got from a buddy a while back, theyre LABLED "K.C. Brains - KC45" so im expecting an autoflowering variety. This has become.a.mystery grow, anyone heard of this strain? Im not quite sure what to expect. Thanks! 1427145115624818427895.jpg

3. It looks like there was the beginning of a taproot on all 3 of those seeds? I don't know, I'm on my first grow as well and I used the paper towel method to germ my 2 beans

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. [SUB]To bad Mozey, bummer.  I think I see the taproots too, or white ooze-mold that took over.  I think they popped out, but then couldn't make it, maybe because of to little air flow, or too much moisture.  The fresh air is key too. The second they pop, I'd take the domes off.  I never even use covers myself.[/SUB]

[SUB]I rem T12s being 40w usually.  I forget what T5s are.  I was just wondering.[/SUB]

[SUB]With CFLs, T5s etc., I would literally have that fixture almost touching the wool cubes.  I mean it, like 1-2".  And you could keep it that distance the entire life of the plant, unless you raise it, just to spread the light out more for coverage.[/SUB]

[SUB]The simplified way I look at the 12/12 from seed method, is like your not adding any "bonus" height, or spread.  Where as roughly 1 week veg would give you and extra 6" spread, 2 weeks a foot, and so forth.  12/12 from seed is like +0.  it will be fine, everything will be right about it, it will just be as compact as possible, but still have a full life. after some tuning, and maybe an HID, lol,  you can pull 40-60, or more, dry, from a 12/12 from seed.  And 1 of those would max out your space.  I know this, because I have almost the same exact space as you, lol.  I know there are a few other big 12/12 fans on this forum.[/SUB]

5. I've been checking out herbies so much, I think I did actually see that name, at least the K.C. Brains part.  That would be the Co. I think?  I was wondering what light sched you are going to use with them.  I've never done autos.  I've heard you can go full 24 till the end, but I feel like at least a few hours of dark a day must be beneficial.

yeah that white wasn't taproot, idk what it was, looked a little like mold but idk. i didnt presoak the rockwool just washed it down, which was a mistake, i got too excited i think :p ive done the paper towel in the dark under a dome for  few days so that's what im doing with these. 

im like 90% sure they're autoflowers so ill switch out my blueish t5s for my redish t5's when i see preflower start happening. but im definitely starting with an 18hr light cycle, just doesn't make sense to do much more (maybe id try 20) it just seems like overkill :p

yeah im gonna get that light like RIGHT over them, im thinking with the autoflowers i wont be able to do much of a ScrOG, so i think im going to experiment a little bit with some LST if these guys pop out. 

7. yeah you can see what the little bag says the seeds came in in that pic a few posts back. 

just gonna go 18/6 all the way through, keep it consistent with my energy bill i guess :D

9. I butchered the quote on that last post..lmao  I'm sure you know where your quote ends though..[​IMG]

10. #30 MozeysBuds, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    haha yeah i figured it out :p

That brings me to another question, theyre popped today, they can last maybe another day in the papertowel and it wont do any harm, but im unsure how to go about putting the little taproots into the rockwool? Just sorta drop em in the rockwool and cover them And put them straight in the bucket? Or should i keep them dark Till they pop From the rockwool then put them in the bucket?

11. im not sure about rockwhool as ive been using rapid rooters here recently or just put them straight in the bucket. But i leave the lights off until i see signs of life. I also just keep my rooter moist untill i see roots then in the pots they go

Rapid rooter plugs are my favorite; pop the seeds in, keep the plug moist, and you're good to go in just a day or two!

[​IMG]

13. I think at this point in it's life, it's just trying to get light

At this point in it's life, it's just trying to get to the light.  Toss it in the wool, toss the wool in the cup, toss the cup in the bucket, rock n roll.

14. Just the diagram i needed haha

Yeah im gonna put them in the rockwool now, probably keep the lights off till they show me something above the rockwool.

Im also a little scared about using my nutes :p full strength right off the bat? It seems like a pretty legit nute system. (Using "recipe for success") this is my first time using hydro and ive already had a rough go so far haha, just weary.

15. have you soaked the rockwool in 5.8 ph'd water for 12-24hrs? I do know that rockwool has a high ph level. And with the nutes i wouldnt start off with full strength. Its always recommended to start off with 1/8-1/4 strength and wait for a drop in ppm/ec then raise it a little, repeat.

16. Yeah i soaked my rockwool cubes for abut +/-10 hours id say, while i was working, in around 6.0 ph''d water (im working with the little drops at the moment haha) and popped my little guys in there in the dark For now. 1427434254296-1408451177.jpg

So overnight tonight ill let them just chillin the buckets (each holds 3 gallons) with just straight 6.0 ph'd water. Tomorrow morning its an early riser, ill be mixing up the nutes. Any opinions are gladly appreciated on the nutes :)

Lower strength is what most of the things ive read have said about the first stages Of development for the plants.

Why keep the light off? that's what it's trying to get to..

18. I forget if you mentioned it, do you have an EC/TDS pen?  On most feeding instructions, it will just tell you to put in about 1/5th less of the nute your using, for the seed week.  Then it goes up a little, then back down, till you have the flush at the end.  For seedling, I go 1500 micro Siemens(EC).  which, if my math is correct, would be about a 960 on the TDS pen?  Then on the main drag, if I land between 1800-2000 (EC) on the first mix, I'm happy.  Don't forget, in DWC, accidental over feeding won't last more than a day or two, because your topping it off and diluting it with pure water every day till the big weekly water/nute dump and refill.

19. have fun dumping and refilling all 3 of those buckets once a week, when the girls get big, lol.  I thought it was a pain when I had just one in a small space.  You CAN do it! lol