First Hydro Grow

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by MozeysBuds, Mar 18, 2015.

1. #1 MozeysBuds, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    whats up guys this is my first hydro grow I have some experience growing in soil but I thought I would make a Journal this time around so that I can get some feedback and let's face it -- not kill my babies.

Important specs:

3x hydro buckets (3 gallons with rez up to the net pots)
    3x net pots
    Hydroton
    Rockwool starter cubes
    Ph up and down and ph test equip.
    Ulrtagrow t5 flourescent 2ft light (4 bulbs)
    Something called "activeaqua" airstones, they look like a big airstone coin sorta
    Recipe For Success Technaflora Starter kit
    Now, i know many growers dont recommend this, but i like to keep my small grow diverse so im doing 3 seperate strains, all from seed, one of which is an autoflower: (company/strain)

Dutch Passion - Think Different (autoflower)
    Delicious - Cotton Candy
    Royal Queen - Critical

this will be a DWC grow and i plan to use the ScrOG or a similar technique in this grow, but i do have a few questions:

1. has anyone used this set of nutes? should i use full strength the whole time? the products seem to be really well planned out so im hesitant to deviate from the recommendations.

2. i plan on having the auto in the same room as my other girls, so other than the obvious slight yield drop from the lighting change, will my auto suffer from any adverse effects being with the "normal" plants or vice versa?

ANY and ALL advice/pointers/questions would be appreciated :D

(Dont mind the mint plant in the pic lol)

Attached Files:

2. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Subbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum
    I'm curious, what are you growing in? Like what kind of enclosure?

4. Today is Day 4 since the seeds have been placed directly in rockwool, im gonna be honest ive never gone directly in rockwool. I usually start them out in paper towls that hang in a lit room till they germinate then go directly into my medium.

My Question today is this: does rockwool take a longer time than other "starter" meduims? Should i be worried when its been about 4 days woth no signs of life? If not, when should i start worrying? 20150319_130300.jpg dont mind the 4th rockwool cube, its ripped :p
    1426788286221-1379913240.jpg i also lowered the lights pretty low, gonna try and keep the sprouts as short as i can Due to the small space

steelcity420 - im growing in a closet, about 2ftx3.5ft Maybe iTs tucked in the back of my apartment haha

5. No one really uses this forum huh :p

6. Looking good so far man...looks like your all set to go. How long will you be vegging for and what will you size light will you be flowering under

7. I havent really decided on the vegging its hard to say with that autoflower in there, with a hydro ive seen a lot of people go really short with their veg id like to take it maybe 3-4 weeks if i can but its a small space

Idk if that estimate is attainable since im only firmiliar with soil first hand.

Ill be switching out my blueish spectrum 2ft T5s to a flower spectrum t5 using the same lamp, electricity savings, and trying to keep it lowkey as my state isnt the best for this :p

8. i hear you there. My states number 1 crop was hemp but still wont legalize the cultivation of medical cannabis.
    When your vegging to be honwst with you you may want to wait till the auto is done. Putting it on a 12/12 cycle will greatly hurt it. In the mean time you could top and train the others to get a miximum yeild.
    You will love hydro.its really easy. Im sure if youve got soil down, dwc will be a breeze.

9. Has either of you ever used a flower spectrum t5? I'm just curious because I'm completely new at growing in any medium and I'm trying to learn as much as possible!

10. sorry man. I've only used cfl and hid.

11. I'm using a 270 UFO LED for my first grow ever, right now and it's kicking ass ✊

12. #12 MozeysBuds, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015
    Yeah ive used t5s in all my soil grows, its good cause i only grow for personal so i dont mind the slight loss of yeild, its super nice for spread out, even lighting and the T5s come in all different lumens and colors, so theyre versatile. im using the UltraGrow series of fixtures.

I wish I could start with LEDs, ive always been interested but the prices seemed too much

EDIT: For flowering wih T5s you should use more red spectrum bulbs for veg more blue spectrum bulbs

13. Man its gonna make my femmed girls so strong if i do that, maybe that will give me time to really work on a scrog... ive never done that before either :p could be an extended grow, ive heard different things on how long my think different strain will take so its hard to plan

14. I bought my LED from eBay from a company called galaxy hydro. I originally bought one because my space is very limited and any of the traditional lights are just too hot for me to use. I didn't really know very much about it but I did a little research and ended up buying that one for a total of $93 with shipping and everything. It works better than I even hoped it would and has next to no heat or amperage draw. If you're looking to try one for a cheap price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend giving that one a chance

15. Im gonna have to check it out. If it has anywhere mear the same output or If i can find a similar one ill probably get it for next go around haha. I just bought this t5 rig for the same price, oh well even if i do go LED next time ill have a clone light haha

16. [SUB]<span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-size:18px;"><span style="font-size:14px;">Thought I'd just jump in here for the fun of it.  I don't have much exp.  I've went through the CFL Bonanza when I first started, but was repeatedly disappointed, no matter how many I stacked up, lol.  T5s are really the same thing as CFLs, just bigger, giving it better light distribution.  I've never had an LED unit, the large ones look like they have good coverage.  Although, the very second that I switched to HID...It was like BANG.. gee, I'm never using anything else again!  All of the sudden, every leaf on your plant is at a perfect flat 180 degree angle or higher, soaking up the light.  300w of mixed CFLs or 1 LED array, wouldn't even compare to a 250w HID combo.  for $110, why not go HID?  250s really aren't to crazy with the heat.  They're all pain for the 2 months of peak summer, but that's when you whip out theT5s, CFLs, lol.</span></span></span></span>[/SUB]

17. Yeah one was reccommended to Me by my local grow shop, im looking at a couple different options for flowering stage including the leds and a few other things. At the moment there is so much out there i dont even know what to do :p

But seriously im kinda freaking out i started on the 16th (put my seeds in the rockwool) and i have seen nothing so far is that normal? Im gonna wait a full 10-15 days before i reset the grow of course, but ive never germed in rockwool so am i just being a noob?

18. [SUB]I tend to simplify things.  But what I've done so far, In my basic DWC, is set up the 3" cup with rocks, and the rockwool in it, pre rinse the whole thing, put it in the bucket, drop the seed in, and pull little bits of the wet rockwool over the hole, just a little.  [/SUB]

[SUB]I have had a handful of "dead" seeds, but not many.  In rockwool cubes, you can sometimes see the seed had to much white stuff oozing out, and no taproot, after 7 days.  7 days is also about the longest one has gone, and still sprouted for me, too.  I think when a seed is extra dry, or dry from being old, you have to add a few extra days to let it re-saturate.[/SUB]

[SUB]I'd give it 9 days, lol.  If you don't see, at very least, a taproot poking out by then.. especially in hydro, I'd call it a day, lol.[/SUB]

19. What's the wattage and lumens on that setup, with those bulbs?
    I saw 2x3ft, but how high is the space you have to work with?

I haven't done a scrog yet, but just from trying some basic LST, on a 1 bucket setup, in a similar size space, 45 day veg, I think you will get crowded horizontally, before you know it.  And tons leaves mashing up against each other, isn't a good thing, even though you see pics of a lot of overloaded tents.  You have good top coverage with your tubes, but limited penetration.  Few will agree with me on this, but unless you have a ton of room and light, I'd keep it 12/12 from seed, forget the scrog.. get em' in, n get em' out asap.  Before they get to tall or dense to get the light everywhere.  This is NOT soil..lol  They still get huge.  and with your t5s at point blank range, a 12/12 from start would be sweet, perfect size and exposure.

But I'm sure a scrog WILL ultimately work here.  Got to try your ideas, you never know when you'll discover something new.

20. I honestly.cant find the info on wattage and lumens but the box gives a stat of 6500K lamps so.. :p

1427142203319-1408451177.jpg
    Id say that i have more room Vertically for sure maybe like 3-4 feet, the gold knob in the pic is about my waist level. And i can step into the cloest to work (although i am a slender guy)

I dont see anything yet :( 1427142478557634118820.jpg
    I started on the 16th all 3 of them

Ive done a lot of research on 12/12 from day one grows and it seems practical in theory but im of the opinion that the more you give the more you get, so a short veg stage will probably be beneficial and the first thing i try. In the past ive judged my plants as being done with the veg stage when they reach about 1/3-1/2 of the size i want them to be then flip them because i noticed they tend to double and sometimes triple in size with sativa heavy strains, so if they get that big that fast then fantastic :D

I also picked this up for my screen, should i decide to use it :p

1427143175785-424676254.jpg