Owning a car is a fucking headache

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Bill Dauterive, Mar 17, 2015.

just like you could probably figure out a basic input/output program in C++ after some research
    tbh man just depends how much time you want to invest to make sure you don't mess it up.

that's up to you; i hear your dilemma though

2. Not owning a car is an even bigger headache. 

I just broke a caliper on my car the other week, fucking cost me $700 along w/ new brake pads and rotors on the rear of my whip. And I put all new tires on all the way around in August w/ an alignment and synthetic oil change + new fuel/air filter - cost me $800. Having a car isn't cheap but not having one makes you look cheap! 

Hot girls want a dude with a sleek ride, not someone who's riding the bus and bumming rides everywhere :p 

3. #43 Bill Dauterive, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    Dd

4. Ya man, I just took a look at the truck.  No offense to your tastes but that thing is beat up.  I live in a dry part of my state where people love trucks and mine looked like it drove here right out of 1976 other than some rust above the rear wheel wells (common rust spot).  It drove great and didn't have a single dent, paint was excellent, was a supercab w/ longbed, towed my boat with it, drove great on freeway...and I ended up having to sell it for $500.  Hell, it even smelled good.  I'll bet you'll be lucky to get $500 if you sell it 10 days after you buy it.

I highly, HIGHLY, recommend you pass on this one.  You can do much better.

5. Yeah that truck is gorgeous. Maybe I need to do more looking around.

6. I got a 1100 quote for new struts, control arms, sway bar links, ect..looked up the exact part numbers on amazon and total was 310 so said fuck ill fix it myself

7. Lots o' fish in the sea my man.  I know the feeling, when you get excited about a vehicle you can justify anything to get it.  It's worth stepping outside your head to look at things critically and take your time.

8. #48 A guy, Mar 20, 2015
    BTW, I sold the 4 wheeler for like $1500-$2000.  Can't remember which.

9. #49 Bill Dauterive, Mar 20, 2015
    Man you got more out for the quad than you did your truck.

10. Just wrecked mine so I have no car

11. I know the pain brother.

12. I am so confused. 

This. Seriously. Mine has just under 300k miles and works as well as when I just got it.

I SERIOUSLY recommend going with a Tacoma.

14. Honestly you wont save money in the long run on a old vehicle, so many parts are wear and teared anything could go wrong, dont get me wrong i like older cars better than newer cars any day of the week, that being said though if you arnt a car freak or dont have the funds to fix problems in the future go with a new car saves you in longrun. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427118859.911393.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. #55 s A t I v A, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015

they do blow, thou...

16. Take a look at the previous posts.

17. maintenance is no joke

18. Did ya buy the truck or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Actually, unless you're working specifically on a "hobby" truck, I wouldn't suggest experimenting on the truck you need for your job. I've seen plenty of backyard mechanic projects devolve into clusterfucks because the guy knew how to take the thing apart but not put it back together. Or you end up with a part that's corroded and becomes useless the minute you remove it.

In principle I agree that it's better to gain firsthand knowledge about mechanics, but in reality it takes years to build up the knowledge base to competently DIY.