Are old trucks reliable

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Bill Dauterive, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Work truck? Or recreation?

2. #22 Bill Dauterive, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
    Well im looking At a 77 ford 100 and the guys says it needs a new carb.But it looks great

Or a 88 ford 150 lariat things are gas guzzlers though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Multi-purpose, daily driver type for me.

4. Ah fun fun.
    Mine will be dd too, mostly work, but plan to hit some trails

5. #25 RedganjaDown, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
    Oh hell yes.. $7.600 about 35 minutes ago.
    Picked up a 2002  Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5 Prerunner with 175,000 miles on it.  A FL truck so it should be okay. Has a camping style cover shell on the back too.
    Now to decide whether to fly there or take Greyhound and drive it home 1,400 miles or have it shipped for $1200. I could probably stay pretty blazed on Greyhound.

Attached Files:

6. 7600!
    175k!
    Dam those things must hold their value!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. #27 RedganjaDown, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
    ^^^^ No kidding. I've been stalking them on the net for awhile. kbb says at fair value it's worth $9,000. Talked to the eBay seller this A.M. He couldn't believe it either.

8. #28 Bill Dauterive, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    Just bought an 88 ford xlt lariat with 125,000 miles on it with the camper top for 1700, runs great. Interior looks like it just came out of the factory.

9. Usually everything around 30 years or older is very reliable. The parts made back then were the most durable. Parts can be really cheap depending on the rarity of the vehicle, but also last a lot longer. Plus older vehicles are simple and easy to work on. I have a 1976 Ford Maverick with the Ford inline 6 250, that has 400k miles on it and it still runs.

10. You bought a car without actually sitting in it first?
    It is toyota, but I'd still need a test drive.

11. #32 RedganjaDown, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
    I've bought  2 cars, 2 trucks and a motorcycle off eBay. Yep, it's hard to sit in them 1,300 miles a way. Just got to go with seller feedback and gut feeling. This one was based on the kbb price resale and reviews on it I read. Finally had an auto transport company signed up to carry it for me. Should be here the 28th. Real excited.

12. Well, it's a nice truck for sure!

I'm on the fence, tacoma 4runner or rubicon.

13. i had a 2000 4x4 ext cab and I loved the hell out of it. Just traded it in last year. 90k miles and never did anything to it except new tires, 3 batteries and oils changes. I did the front brakes last year even though they didn't need it. Bullet freaking proof. Ran like a champ. Poor gas mileage though 16 in the city or highway with a 5 speed manual and a 6 cylinder engine. Not a great ride either. Not terrible just ok.

14. Used to own a 87 bronco 2 lifted. That was a great truck.

15. #36 Bill Dauterive, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
    so have you ever gotten burned. I couldn't buy a car without atleadt cranking the engine up first. Dude could strip all types of parts off the truck before he ships it out. I just couldn't fork over that kinda cash online.

16. #37 RedganjaDown, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    I've never been burned. The thing is you have to check their seller feedback and total sales. I'd never buy a vehicle from a seller w/less than a 500+ sales and a 98% or better seller rating. The vehicle I got was from an established used car dealer with good online reviews. I still can't believe I won it with that price. Check out 2002 Tacoma Double Cabs on eBay and you won't either.

17. This truck will be more work and play than my main car. We got a 2011 Camry for that.

18. I got an old 83 chevy s-10 with about 135k miles on it (don't really know for sure, the odometer only reads 35k)

Anyone know anything about these? I was thinkin about putting a small block v8 in it

19. I would not travel with any smoke...

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20000409busstop2.asp

BREEZEWOOD, Pa. -- Luzetta Zilch knows the drill as well as any of the other Greyhound Bus drivers.
    She wheels her bus in for a half-hour layover at the Post House Cafeteria, a rest stop at this turnpike interchange made of rest stops. After passengers file off, plainclothes state troopers appear, asking if their drug dog can sniff the luggage in the bus cargo bay.
    She agrees. Every time it's happened to Zilch, the drug dog comes up empty, the search goes no further, the passengers trickle back and the bus wheels back out of the parking lot.
    "Most people don't seem to get bothered by it," she said as she talked shop with a few other drivers and finished a quick lunch at the Post House last week. "But a few of the passengers, people from Europe, get a little upset, though.
    "They think it's strange that people in a free country would be doing this."

http://www.copblock.org/20963/memphis-greyhound-terminal/

“Am I being detained?”​
    Powerful words. I was on a Greyhound the morning of September 12, 2012 after a 12 hour trip and was really looking forward to getting off the bus. As we pulled up to the terminal in Memphis, TN, my final destination, I saw a couple of uniformed figures headed toward the bus. The driver announced we should all keep our seats. One guy in some kind of security service uniform and a city cop climbed on and said that in an effort to curb drugs and money smuggling they wanted us to get off one by one, set down our carry-ons and step away while they let a dog sniff it.
    Then, they asked if there were any questions. I was seated 6 or so rows back and I asked, “Are we were being detained?” No response at all. They started their little operation, and it was slow. When I finally reached the bottom of the steps I saw the guy in front of me had just put down his bags and was stepping well away as ordered. I stopped and held up my bags shoulder high and again asked, “Am I being detained?” I looked directly at the officers as I said it. Again no response, so I said, “Well I guess I'm free to go.” I stepped off the bus and noticed all the people who had already been sniffed were all standing there instead of going into the terminal.

I stopped and said, “You know we don't have to put up with this, right?” At that point, I went ahead and headed for the door. A moment later I heard the local cop yell for me to come back. I saw him coming so I just stopped and let him approach. He then tried a little escalation technique telling me to shut up or I'd be charged with disorderly conduct. He called me a “fucker” or something similar and stalked off. I yelled after him, “Who's being disorderly now?” – Then I went on about my business. I hope everyone who witnessed the event learned something. If you don't exercise your freedoms, you don't have any freedom.