Been Watching Cosmos..

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Browne, Mar 16, 2015.

1. No. That would be an assumption on your part. I TRUST that the scientists who have measured the relative age of ths Earth using radio metric dating techniques to be pretty accurate. I have never made such a measurement myself directly. And I believe that the competition between scientific colleagues to get the age correct would fuel the drive towards accuracy.

The Bible is a mix of true wisdom combined with state sponsored propaganda so when you read it make sure you read it with discernment.

------

2. Do I have to quote the bible or can you not just go and read it for yourself? I don't need to prove anything to you. I just have to give you a bible to read. It's the ignorant who won't understand what it teaches.

Ephesians 4:17-19 - This I say therefor, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind. Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Hosea 4:6 - My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

3. State sponsored propaganda?
    How the hell did you come up with that?

I'd like to see the evidence for the bible being a state sponsored book. They persecuted and killed Jesus for going against the state. As well as all of his apostles and followers of that time. So how could it have been state sponsored?

Now your just spewing shit

4. #44 Deleted member 839659, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

Oh I made a mistake. I thought I was quoting Browne and tht post was intended for him.

But whatever. I wasn't asking anyone to prove anything. I was quoting. So you can calm yourself.

5. They have seen stars form many times? Can you give me a link to where I can find this information?

6. I
    I'm pretty calm man. I don't see where I got excited or upset, or even how you got that notion.

If that's what your personal evidence tells you, go for it. I'm not going to get into a huge debate over this.. we are in the religion section and science isn't really welcome round these parts.

Only labels man.. meant to be able to better describe something. I am an evolution realist.. and I look at humans and what they do as part of nature. I'd actually think that the majority of atheists know humans and human behavior is part of nature.. because they don't have any supernatural beliefs telling them humans are something else, unless they believe aliens made us or something. The labels are only there to get a better idea of whats what and where it came from.

8. I dont know if the Bible is state sponsored per se, but is one weapon in the arsenal so-called authorities use to subdue the people. If people are convinced the Bible the true word of God, they have only to manipulate how it is interpretted to influence the followers. Like Romans 13 for instance. Yes Jesus went against the state but Romans seems to say God has appointed the 'authorities'.

\tFirst Council of Nicaea 

The First Council of Nicaea (/<span><span>n</span><span>aɪ</span><span>ˈ</span><span>s</span><span>iː</span><span>É™</span>/</span>GreekΝίκαια [ˈni:kaɪja]) was a council of Christian bishops convened in Nicaea in Bithynia by the Roman EmperorConstantine I in AD 325. This first ecumenical council was the first effort to attain consensus in the church through an assembly representing all of Christendom.<sup>[5]</sup> It was presided by Hosius of Corduba, a bishop from the West and probably a Papal delegate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Council_of_Nicaea

------

10. #50 Browne, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    So the Emperor is going to oversee a committee of Bishops' and the process of their assembly of a book which will more or less be presented to the masses as an "instruction manual for life"?

What could possibly go wrong?

*cough*

You ever play that game "Telephone"?

Where one person whispers something in your ear and you pass the same message on to the next person and that by the time that the message gets back to the original source it's so perverted from the original message?

Well, Christianity has been playing that game now for nearly 2 millennia.

The question here is, what was the event (message) that DID occur which caused the need for government officials to become the editors of what really happened?

Hmmm....

------

11. Browne - If i wasnt me i would almost think you were me

Idk if i can say i agree with everything you say but many times you say shit that i have said or would say. Saves me the hassle of typing ;-)

Like I said earlier it's a long process. They've analyzed stars in different stages so they can paint a picture of how the process goes.

A few years ago they found what is believed to be the "youngest" star (i.e. in it's early forming stage) out of Hawaii. The star is located within our galaxy.

This ^

13. #53 Browne, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    And if the Bible is the only source you're going to go by in terms of figuring out what your "World" is, then have you done your due dilligence and read the Greek version? You know that the Bible wasn't originally written in English, right?

Translations needed to be made.

You've heard of the term "lost in translation".

What happens when the Greek word for "a" is translated into English as "the"?

What is the difference between saying "I am a Son of God" and saying "I am the Son of God"

Hundreds of years of confusion, fighting, and just bad behavior towards one another. That is the difference.

Christians tend to idolize Jesus.

Jesus was supposedly a humble man.

Do humble people enjoy/want to be idolized?

http://youtu.be/alRNbesfXXw

------

14. Hey, it's always nice to meet like minded people on the information highway. Don't be bashful. I'm sure you have a lot to offer.

------

15. This proves nothing. Constantine was the one who called on the first council of Nicaea, who was the first general council of the Christian church, because he feared of the disputes in the church at the time would cause disorder in the empire.

It was never state propaganda. What was it used for if so? Because all you did was give me a link explaining what the council was. Not how the bible was state propaganda. If Constantine used the bible for evil then that's his problem. You seem to twist it's words as well. Does that mean your using it for propaganda? It's like you saying we need to get rid of guns cus they're killing people.

16. Government.

"Govern" means to control

"ment" is derived from Latin - "Mente" which means mind.

That's what Governments job is. To control minds.

------

17. Just watched the first episode on Netflix and wow. My mind has been blown.

18. Oh, it's not personal evidence. It's very teachable. I'm thinking of making a thread this year on this forum. Here's the thread title I have in mind...

Hey Neil Tyson! I've Got Your Cosmos Right Here! Welcome to the Consciousness Factory. It's Not Even a Debate Amymore.

So check it out when you see it and give me your feedback! It's a thread that will show what reality looks like when you get the Scientist that lives in your left brain hemisphere to be friends with the Artist who lives in your right brain hemisphere. The division you mentioned needs to go.

That's cool man.

You can mark me down in the group labeled "human".

------

19. I liked the visual presentations and I've been watching it with my 9 year old son because I think it's a good way to introduce such concepts about the universe visually to children.

I can't wait until the episode where Neil talks about consciousness and its role within "Cosmos".

He does cover that, right? : )

------

20. That's not what the "governments" job is. It's been twisted. Just like the father of lies twists everything else, even the bible. Government is a man made word. It says we should honor the ruler because he was set there by God. Since there are wicked men, they will do what they please to get into power to control. Obviously they're not good people and have been manipulated at some point. You judge people by the fruits of their labor it says in the bible.

Deut. 16: 18-19
    18 Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, throughout thy tribes: and they shall judge the people with just judgment.
    19 Thou shalt not wrest judgment; thou shalt not respect persons, neither take a gift: for a gift doth blind the eyes of the wise, and pervert the words of the righteous.