Psychiatry is a scam.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by well highdrated, Mar 16, 2015.

They do represent a trend.. and that trend is people want their drugs for convenience. All those kids on ADHD meds.. couldn't be on ADHD meds if their parent/guardian didn't take them to get medicated. That's just common sense that I've had to repeat like a broken record because you ignore it due to it not confirming your opinion.

Blaming psychiatrist for people being on prescription drugs is like if you were to shoot someone and then blame the gun industry for making guns.. or getting a speeding ticket and blaming the auto industry for making cars that go over the speed limit. It's a simple, should-be-common-sense fact.. they wouldn't be able to sell pills to people if.. and get this shit.. if people weren't buying pills.

I truly hope you were being sarcastic here.. cause not only did you fail to provide an example of a disease that has a permanent cure but the medical industry only provides prolonged treatments for.. you provided an over the counter heartburn medication. Meaning.. you can buy it over the counter and not have to see a single doctor for it.

Like I said, I really do hope you were joking.. cause if not.. da fuck?

just because you repeat something over and over doesn't make it come true.
    your "common sense" is not a solution to the problem that many people are faced with. 

when you say that millions of people are weak-minded and lack common sense and you are the one with the solution... you know what that makes you sound like?

and your analogy with guns .. how is that even remotely relevant?
    do you see me complaining about people buying over the counter meds and getting hooked on those? no. 

the situation is more like a "professional" gives someone a gun and says it is loaded with blanks, then the same "professional" says this gun is safe for self defense because it will only "scare" the intruder with a loud bang.  

people aren't going out on their own and "buying pills" they are getting the medications prescribed to them by "professionals" whom these people trust. everyone knows there are side effects, but typically the seriousness of the side effects is downplayed or barely mentioned.  

p.s. and just like tobacco industry is forbidden from advertising their products on tv, the same should be applied to drug commercials.
    i guess your rationale would be to look at all those tobacco-addicts dying from cancer or suffering with their addiction.. what a bunch of weak minded people who lack common sense, right? 

Just so we know.. I know there is probably nothing I can say to even get through to you. You've made it clear with:
    ..that you're only going to listen to things that agree with your personal opinion. That if a statement doesn't confirm your belief, it is going to go in one ear and out the other. So I am not really doing this for you.. I am doing this for other people. ADHD is very real and I'd hate to see someone on the fence get swayed by hack doctors who fill in their gaps of knowledge on the subject with pseudoscience quackery as you did.

Now.. I have to ask, what do you think it means if a child has ADHD? Cause your solution was to get the child enrolled into sports or some activity where they can burn off energy.. and that's not exactly how ADHD is nor is it that great of a solution. I have a feeling you have a very generalized view on what ADHD is.. and a lot of people are like that. To those who don't know any better.. ADHD means bouncing off the walls nonstop. Autism means sitting in a corner rocking to yourself while playing with numbers and puzzles and wigging out whenever someone touches you. Schizophrenia means you'll always see and hear things that don't exist.. bipolar disorder means there is a likely chance they'll be all happy with you and the next minute threaten to hurt you. Those are the typical stereotypical view points on those mental conditions and it seems like all you're working with is the stereotype to ADHD.

I only ask because when you debate against something.. it is good to actually know what it is. It's like when a Creationist argues against evolution.. but really has no education on what evolution is. I'd like to sit down and be nice and explain to you what ADHD is like.. but so far all you've shown is that you are a product of confirmation bias and that shit is annoying. You have yet to show me that you can focus on what is actually being said.

If you could focus on and then comprehend what I am saying, you'd know that I agree that it is over diagnosed. The majority of children don't need to be on ADHD meds.. having what is known as ADHD is a normal part of childhood. It is a stage where the brain is trying to find it's center, it's point of focus. It is the parent's job to get involved and find out what their child can focus on.. cause when you have ADHD, it is extremely hard to focus on things that aren't of interest. When something is of interest, it's actually really easy to focus on it til completion. That is where the parents come in.. they need to be exposing their child to a variety of things and finding what holds their attention. That isn't what is generally happening though.. cause there has been a serious breakdown in parenting. They don't want to or can't spend the time they should be with their children to find their focus point, their Zen. Instead, they'd rather take them to get medicated.. that is on the parents, not the doctors. If a parent takes their child to a psychiatrist, it is because they would rather get them medicated then to take the time needed to get involved with their child. If a parent wanted to get to the root of the issue without medication, they would take the to see a child psychologist.

Again, psychiatry is medication for a mental condition.. psychology is talking and getting to the root of the mental condition. It's like "OMG! Parents are taking their child to doctors whose job it is is to write out prescriptions.. and lo and behold, their child got put on medication!" and it's like.. no shit. If those millions of children who are on ADHD meds were taken to see a psychologist.. they would not be on ADHD meds. Instead, the parents went the convenient route and took them to a psychiatrist.

It is easy to search the internet and find some information that confirms your beliefs.  What is more challenging is examining the evidence on both sides and making a decision based on what you find.  What is more plausible a few results you turned up with a google search or thousands of peer reviewed scientific papers that discuss causes, diagnosis, and treatments for ADHD
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=adhd

It is not a matter of energy but how the brain functions.  Try looking at some of the scientific literature instead of catchy titles on a google result.  Do I condone medication?  Only when its the best solution.

5. Cortisol is a stress hormone
    Hormones are chemicals
    Therefore Cortisol is a stress chemical
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

6. The amount of people involved in a hide the cure conspiracy would be ridiculously large from the board room to down to clinicians, scientists, and even patients.  Someone would have to talk eventually and not just some ridiculous internet rant.  Imagine the bad press that you would get for hiding a cure, you would quickly find yourself on the wrong side of a congressional hearing, lawsuits, and the red side of the stock market.  Contrast that to the good press and money that a patented cure would garner.  Any scientist that stumbled upon a real cure would shout it out to the world anyway.  Think of the fame that finding the cure would bring an individual, a lab, or a corporation.  Like polio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine
    Be careful when thinking about corporate greed.  Certainly there are small board room conspiracies, but do not let them lead you into the trap of conspiratorial thinking.  
    Yes, big pharma does some shitty things, but the pros and cons of hiding the cure seems to steer one away from a conspiracy of that nature.

you think that somehow your opinion is correct because you are the one thinking it?

talk about lack of focus... what else are we going to cover here? you already compared over-prescription of medications to gun control. then you dragged creationism in here... but why even bother, regardless of what situation is, it's the people's fault for being over-medicated. you've already made it clear in your other posts.

"psychiatry is medication for a mental condition"... i agree i said that in my OP.

and the "no shit" situation happens exactly as described here:

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/childhood-adhd/features/6-parenting-tips-for-raising-kids-with-adhd

this is a 5 year old that "experts" put on medication. and this happens all the time because of the very thing you've just said. 

kids that young should not be on heavy drugs.. that's insane and criminal. 

you clearly missed the point
    (but thanks for the link... just curious what does the very first few words there say? oh ... "Cortisol is a steroid hormone").. 

nobody in the medical field calls cortisol a chemical..  especially someone who claims to have formal education in psychology. 

i need to fill up my car with energy chemicals, so we'll continue this later. 

9. #49 well highdrated, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015

thank you for teaching me how to use the internet. although you couldn't link me to a specific study, just search results. what was your point with that. we can search for adhd on pubmed? cool.

now put your skills to the test and find out what the difference between ADD and ADHD is... 

a matter of "energy" comes into play when kids get misdiagnosed only because they are "hyperactive"... the H in ADHD. a "hyperactive" 5 year old.. can you imagine that?
    since it seems that you know very well how adhd works, maybe you can explain how is that possible that over the last 6 years the rate of diagnoses jumped by over 15%.

millions of kids on very heavy medication does not seems like the "best solution" to me. actually it doesn't seem like a solution at all.

again, ADHD is just one example of where psychiatry is once again fucking people over with their unnecessary meds.  

10. that's not how it works.

Its not even a conspiracy really.

Its more a general mindset that drilled into us throughout our schooling.

Why do you think prilosec is otc nnow?

-yuri

Look.. using examples to clarify a point is one of the best ways to get a point across. That is, if the other person has an imagination and actually uses it. If you did, you wouldn't get stuck on the gun thing. It could be ANY product out there.. just because someone makes a product doesn't mean you have to use it. Use your imagination son.. could use junk food. Someone decided to live off of junk food and the next thing you know.. they're fat, have heart issues, and set their body up for failure.. just to end up blaming junk food companies for it all when they are the ones who willingly ate the shit.

Now, the quote you pulled about the 5 year old being put on ADHD meds.. you're right, it described the "no shit" situation perfectly along with describing weak parenting perfectly. Even if it is an example that is over 20 years old, it is exactly what I am talking about when it comes to parenting. If you are pretty sure that your child doesn't need ADHD meds, then here is a good idea.. DON'T FUCKING PUT THEM ON ADHD MEDS! The guy says that they were in denial for almost 2 years, yet they continued with the medication? How fucking retarded is that?

It's funny.. cause this article isn't trying to say ADHD isn't a real condition. In fact, it is explaining to you as to what to do if you're a parent with a child with ADHD.. because it is real and children get it. Even funnier when you learn that the father from the quote you pulled, started an organization to help parents and children with ADHD.. because it is a very real condition. You can find that here: http://www.addrc.org/harold-meyer/ Even more funnier when you look into their stance on medications.. well, not really stance.. but you can tell they are not completely against medication.
    http://www.addrc.org/psychopharmacologic-management-of-addadhd/
    http://www.addrc.org/adhd-drugs-have-no-long-term-growth-effects-study/
    http://www.addrc.org/what-medications-can-and-cant-do/
    http://www.addrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/ParentGuide20-20English.pdf
    Last one was the funniest.. a guide supported by that father's organization that details what to do, how to do it, and various other aspects of putting your child on ADHD medication.

If anything.. I hope this inspires you to look into an article for more than just a few lines that confirm your bias.

If you go to the store and look at all the meds, pretty much the only med that has always has OTC status is Aspirin. Even ibuprofen was prescription only til the mid 80's and appears to be prescription only in Australia still.

This is how it works.. a new drug is developed and NOT released as OTC. In the beginning, it is prescription only. When it comes to a new drug, we need time to test it to discover it's side effects. Once a drug is shown to be effective, have a handle on it's side effects, and low chance of being abused.. it can be made OTC.

That is what happened to Prilosec.. and virtually every other drug you can buy OTC. It is used to treat a common condition.. heartburn. Since heartburn is so common these days and since Prilosec has been shown to be relatively safe.. it was made OTC. You buy it when you suffer from heartburn.. and if you read the instructions, it clearly states to not take it for more than 14 days.. even on the front page of their website it says that. If the problem persists, then you are to see a doctor to find out what the actual problem is and to have it corrected if it can be. Chances are the "cure" for heartburn is.. just not eating shitty food! Tell that to some fat person who loves eating food..

"Hey man, I know your favorite food gives you heartburn.. and I know you don't want heartburn.. so how about not eating that food?"
    deep breath 'No.. fu' deep breath 'ck that' deep breath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3XtH_M6EXg

If you want an asshole answer.. it was probably made OTC because of all the fat people in America who don't care enough to not eat shitty food and be fat who probably annoyed doctors by coming to them all the time for heartburn medication.. while the doctors told them "hey.. don't eat the shit" yet they continued to do so and continued to annoy doctors so they said fuck it and put it in their hands.

12. If I had only one regret from stepping in this thread.. it'd have been Googling Jon Rappoport. Cause now my Google partnered YouTube is recommending his videos for me to watch.. and I watched one :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9EtKC1GUJU

This was just so retarded that it was hilarious.. and I couldn't not watch another one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMqqZutClj4

Starts off as diagnosing her son with ADHD.. then a plot twist and she is actually against those meds and was only pretending to be an uneducated, guppy parent and really wanted to confront the doctor on how their meds are what caused Columbine and the Batman shooting in CO.. then how her and other mothers on her side will lie and say that the doctor had sex with them and will tell his wife if he doesn't stop practicing psychiatry.

I just don't understand how anyone can think this dude is a real doctor.. a real doctor isn't going to waste his time making fucking retarded animated videos. It's like he was born with a tinfoil hat on and he simply put a wig over it so he can sell his snake oil to the uneducated..

13. Snake oil? I didn't click the links. Is he really selling snake oil?:lol:

-yuri

14. you yourself just said you have seen one. there fore, test conducted! i don't need to smash a brick in your face to know that it will fuck you up. some things go with out saying. and yes, i am on topic. 

You crack me up sometimes.. lol, but no.. not really selling snake oil. Even those who do sell snake oil.. it typically has nothing to do with snakes. Back in the day, they would just mix ingredients into mineral oil and make people think it came from snakes to cure this and that, then leave town before they found out they've been duped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

That's what that doctor is.. a quack. A sham of a doctor who should have the parts of his brain carved out that consider himself to be a doctor..

16. I like how OP stopped responding to my messages

17. #57 Uncle_Meat420, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015

What about schizophrenia? Should those people just wander around in the streets talking to themselves and/or get violent for imagined reasons because medication is evil?

You don't think behavioral problems are something that warrants some type of attention from a professional that has worked with those type of people?

"test conducted!"... you sound like a psychiatrist. 

big difference between schizophrenia and general anxiety disorder.
    the treatment with chemicals for GAD is likely to be more harmful than the "disorder" itself.

i think behavioral therapy is fantastic and can be very helpful... this has nothing to do with over-prescription of medications. 

20. How do you know there is over prescription happening?