6th times the charm. 192w cfl stealth

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by catfish cruising, Mar 15, 2015.

1. #1 catfish cruising, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
    in all honesty this is probably my 5th or 6th attempt at growing. first few times my plants were either eaten or found by people and destroyed. didn't really have a clue what I was doing in my early teens when I was trying this. then I learned all about organics, and studied horticulture at school and we covered ALOT about the plant and microbe world. also on top of this I was reading up a lot on this site about growing. now I started growing healthy plants but they all went male. then I started a small stealth cfl box with about 90w of light. plants were doing real great but I still just got males. bought some purple widow seeds offline and grew those in my cfl box and what do ya know... males..... I had a free fem seed in the mix and I said to myself.... now there is no way I can get a male this time...... vegd it for 3 weeks then flipped to 12/12... male... that year I think I got 9/9 males. crazy

the next year I grew two plants outdoors and got one male and one female. so I put the female up in the bush way away from town and few weeks later it got eaten. the next season was just a fuck up aswel because all my plants got eaten aswel. so I have had a real bad run so far. so basicly ive been trying to grow since I was 15.

im on my 5th year of growing now. boy has it taken some time to finally get some girls haha. I am the underdog. time for my comeback!

I have built a small 1.5 x 1.5 x 3ft box riged it with 8 24w cfls (not running all 8 at the moment only 6 but over the next few days il put in the other two. grew two different sort of bagseeds. one strain was some average sativa and the other, DANK indica.

two of each sort. two indica and two sativa. one sativa seemed sensitive to heat and burned abit and was not growing as well as the other sativa. and the good sativa turned male

and one indica was growing really well, so many branches, crazy growth. the other was a runt. the runt is the female and the good one was a male.

so my females are not the ideal plants but none the less they are females and I actually have buds to work with this time.

they are about 17 days into flower now and the indica is only really just showing pre flowers. it has been growing quite slowly really

ill add some photos in a few hours [​IMG]

2. #3 catfish cruising, Mar 15, 2015
    anyway here are the pics. not very good ones, I had to take them quickly.

you will see cool daylight lights in there but I only have two out of 6. the rest are warm white.

I have wired up a fan to blow air on the plants and also wired up two more lights to go in tonight or tomorrow

I have been feeding roughly every 2nd or 3rd watering with a dose of humus and sea kelp tea. I have also started adding a small amount of molasses to the feedings.

will be getting bat guano tea soon.

also as you can see I made a reflector out of an oven tray. cost 6 dollars. I will get some good pics of that when no one is home next time.

the whole cost of the grow has been very minimal. made the box out of offcuts of ply I got for free. got the paint for free and I already had all the tools. it has been quite ideal. I am making a veg box aswel and will be getting some seeds from herbies

Attached Files:

3. #4 WeedleTM, Mar 15, 2015

Nice setup, but it looks like your plants are damaged by heat stress. Are you checking the temperatures and do you have enough airflow on the canopy? 

4. #5 catfish cruising, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    definatly a bit of heat stress. I just put in a 80mm pc fan hooked up to a 5v cell phone charger. its pretty weak as its supposed to be wired up to a 12v so its just barely blowing on them.

I added two more 24w warm white bulbs. so im now pushing 192w of light. I also droped the plants 50mm below the light so hopefully less burn. I should have been more vigilant with this

the sativa always seemed more sensitive to heat than the other plants. one day two branches stretched quite abit when I was not able to tend to them and the tops were dryed up. so I pretty much toped the two branches. they have recovered alright though.

the other girl has been growing quite slow throughout the whole grow and still only has a few pistils shooting out the sides.

I really wish the other plants that went male were actually the females. one had nearly twice as many branches than these girls. none the less they are girls so I am grateful for that.

also as you can see the box is QUITE stealthy. no one comes in the room and it is completely hidden. its very quiet also
    but yeah im doing ok I guess. can anybody guess roughly what my yield might be? im hoping for ATLEAST an ounce. they were veged for 1 month

Attached Files:

5. Looks pretty comers up, how well can air get to the intake or is it all covers up?

My best ideas are created in the presence of weed 🍁

6. That oven tray might be unnecessarily increasing the heat in your grow room. It's made of aluminum. The corners of the tray are probably creating heat spots. I would ditch that reflector, cover the walls with mylar, and adjust the bulbs so they're parallel to the floor to maximize the amount of light hitting your canopy.

The ganja gods now consider you worthy of tending to the ladies. Good luck!

7. Males are typically more prolific, so I wouldn't fret about it.  Good luck on your grow.

8. #9 DJ Mem3, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    Lol six on having to get so many males in a row. Good luck on the ladies. I got 2 males then 1 female from bag seed but the female is micro grown in a pc
    I sure wish I vegged it out more the buds are just about ready to get chopped

9. yea since adding the two new lights one plant got burned a little bit

10. two tops are the casualties

11. there is a 1-2 inch gap between the box and the the dressers. I just had a few squares I cut into the ply so that was the intake. no intake fan or anything. but ive been having some smell issues so now I have one square about 2 inch square filled with carbon pellets and I also made a light proof vent and riged a pc fan upto it so its blowing nice cool air into the box. wohoo. there used to be quite a lot of light coming out of the box but now the vent and and carbon intake hole have sored that right out

yea I thought the oven tray would be a good idea. im not really sure if it makes much of a difference to be honest. I might just leave it for now, but I probably should do something about it. its just a bit of a job taking it out really that I cant be bothered doing.. and yea man ive been waiting a LONG time for some girls and now that time has come!

cool man ill be sure to check out yer grow. I was thinking about doing a pc grow myself as I didn't really have the space. but I was siting on the bed one day and I looked at that corner in my room and I could just picture it........ perfect!

12. How's everything going with them? Temps in there? How's your carbon filter going?

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. #14 catfish cruising, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    Day 24 flower 

day 24 from switch to 12/12 probably day 10-15 or so since pistils started showing

not sure on the temps, don't have any sort of gauge. alls I knows is when the plants start getting burnt its time to do something about it. but yeah I haven't had any problems lately, carbon filters going good. no smell most of  the time.

the girls are 4 days away from being 1 month into flowering. one is going very slow and is a hermie. on one node there was about 2 or 3 balls hangin out. if I take pollen from this hermie and put it on another plant the seeds will be feminised correct? also does anybody know if my buds will be alright sized considering its a hermie?

the seed that bared the hermie was more white than brown and smaller than the other seeds or the same variety and since day 1 of sprouting it grew slower than the other plants. normally I would have thrown out such a rubbish seed but it was my last of this variety and I didn't want to waste it. and at each node instead of two brances either side of the new node only 1 branch grew per node except for one node. however though it did start reeking only 2 weeks into veg and still reeks now, but it is growing quite slowly . no real buds yet and its nearly been 1 month into flower [​IMG]  I have run out of seeds for this variety but I am getting some more today so this strain is all I will be growing next time instead of getting seeds off herbies, i only wanted to grow from the best seeds i could get and i would say this stuff is up there with what herbies would have given me, I really look forward to growing this stuff next round.

how do you guys think the bigger plant is doing. keep in mind im 4 days away from it being 1 month of flower. i think it definatly could look better, but this plant has had the odd problem with heat stress so i think it is looking alright considering.

They are getting fed every 3 days which is the only time they get watered  with recommended doses of concentrated bat guano,  concentrated blood and bone, concentrated sea kelp and humus. and they also get molasses every 3rd feeding. im not over doing it am I? seems to be working alright so far

Attached Files:

14. couple attempts at some close up macros. my camera is shit so shit photots sorry :/  got a good one lying around somewhere.

first macro is of the hermie and the two photos after that are of the hermie.

I wasn't really happy with my plants, although now I think about it they are doing alright for day 24 of the switch to 12/12

Attached Files:

15. #16 catfish cruising, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
    Day 25 flower

Ok I said to myself I wouldn't post any more pictures for a week but god dammit I couldn't help myself...

Starting to notice trichs on some calyxes and abit of frosting with my 40x microscope.

The bigger plant was just a bagseed I got from a few ounces and the stuff smelled like gingerbread so im calling the biger girl, Gingerbread girl. the strain is now herby named Gingerbread

The smaller plant which is a hermie was named Speedy González. it is not that speedy but she/he is starting to pick up and I can tell it is going to be some dank shit. The guy I got the seeds from said the bud he got the seeds from was just covered in frost and left loads of resin on the inside of the bag so I have scored myself a sweet strain. and seeing as the strain is unknown I get to name it. I have no ideas yet.

the plants are only watered with fresh river water also. they have never had tap water or anything similar. just pure river water.

Today I will start feeding more than the recommended dosage of bat guano and blood and bone but just regular of the sea kelp and humus

also from when they were a young age I have been adding used coffee grounds to the top of the soil and broken up egg shells just to add a bit of extra organic shit to the roots when they get watered. they are getting quite the concoction but they don't look like they are complaining!

So yeah this grow is about 99% organic. the lights and the environment, and being in pots rather than the ground is the 1% inorganic. but the rest is ole natural

I cant keep away from the box for long I have to keep checking on them, and adjusting branches for best light penetration, I am obsessed!

but anyways enjoy these pics [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Just keep in mind, coffee grounds are usually loaded with nitrogen. For flowering you want less nitrogen and more potassium. Everything is looking good though! 

17. Oh ok, didn't know that about the coffee grounds. I have actually scraped them of the soil the other day because I keep getting mould grow on the surface of the soil so I end up having to scrape it off atleast once a week. I really donot want mould issues but its under control at the moment. I think the mould came from some wild pigeon manure I used. the manure worked wonders as I only veged for about a month but the plants exploded.

So ill stop adding coffee grounds for now.

Im currently building my new veg box where I will be starting my seeds, same variety that the hermie is. I will start about 5 or 6 plants and take clones off the best plants, then the best best clones that root and survive will be made into bonsai mothers. then the one that provides the most and best cuttings will remain the mother and the other mother will go into flower with the clones and reject mothers.

but the new variety of seed I have is seriously bomb. I was plucking the little tiny shoots from below the canopy and the little premature buds that I plucked are tiny but are very skunky and I can see the potential. so I am very excited to pick up the seeds today so I can begin my perpetual grow and take over the world!!! MUWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

18. Looking pretty good man but I believe blood meal is also for nitrogen which you want to keep as low as possible for flowering. Subbed. I'm close to where you are

19. Also look into autoflower and feminized seeds