Growace 270w Led kit Hydro DWC Tent Stealth Check it out

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stroomz, Mar 13, 2015.

1. So trying to get back on the indoor growing grind as I haven't done anything indoors in a few years now so i decided to go out all out and buy a full Led kit from Growace.com. Along with buckets and hydro supplies from HTGsupply.com. I went with the 270 watt advanced spectrum led they offer which had great reviews. It will hang in a 48"x24"x60" tent with 4" inline fan and carbon filter. Hopefully this set up is quiet and smell proof as this will need to be as stealth as possible. I will update with pics when the boxes of goodies arrive. 

I am attempting hydro for the first time and felt DWC was the simplest to begin with. I do not want to deal with transplanting and dumping dirt water out every couple days so I purchased 4, 3.5 gal buckets with 6" net pots, 2 double outlet air pumps and each bucket will have a 2" air stone. I still need to order a Ppm meter so if anyone has any recommendations on a cheap one that is very simple to use please post a link.

Here are the seeds i will hopefully germinate
    Diesel Berry
    G13 Labs Pinapple Express 
    TH seeds Auto original Bubblegum
    DinaFem seeds Blue Kush
    I also have a CR+ but it cracked open so i am not sure if it will germ =(
    All these should be Feminized. 

Everything should be here by next week and
    Here is the kit that was purchased,
    http://growace.com/grow-packages/advance-spectrum-270w-led-grow-package.html

If space permits i will also throw in some basil and maybe a tomato plant

2. Ordered 5x white widow feminized last night, one of these will replace the pineapple express since Ive grown that recently and want something new or I'll do 3 white widow and the blue kush to try and keep things leveled

3. Update: I just ordered Ionic Grow and Ionic Bloom from HTGsupply as well as two 6" clip on fans to blast my future canopy. I am so excited for all this shit to arrive!  [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Thinking of starting a hydro grow soon, I'm gonna follow your post.

5. Alright so a few shipments have arrived over the last two days and here are pictures of the equipment! As well as I set up the seed starting dome with my two Autos to test everything. 1x Diesel Berry and 1x Bubblegum in rockwool which will then be placed in the clay pellets pictured. Still awaiting the main stuff which will be here tomorrow so stay tuned for my tent, carbon filter, fans, bigger led and other goodies.

Some details of the photos:
    The blue meter is the Hanna PPM meter, $20 of Htgsupply
    The LED is the Mars Hydro 300watt, made sure with smokesara that it was legit (got off ebay for $82 shipped)
    That light is BRIGHT, couldnt even look at it, you will definitely need some sunglasses to work around this.

Also i am pretty upset with how loud the air pumps are, they will be heard easily from a distance which isnt great news.

Attached Files:

6. #6 GoldGrower, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
    When flowering you could do with another one of those lights in your 4'x2' tent. 2 of those lights would be a nice fit in there. I have a couple of them and they couldnt light up a 4 foot wide area decent enough to flower in really.

Try hanging the air pumps with paracord or a bungee from the ceiling of the tent. I find that really keeps the noise down. I also have my reservoirs on top of an inch thick sheet of polystyrene, that helps too. Hang the pumps so they are a little higher than the waterline. That way if there is a fault the air lines won't siphon all the water out of your res.

Be careful with those rotwool starter cubes, I find it much better to germinate in lightly dampened paper towels and then put the seedlets directly in to the clay balls.

How many litres per minute do those pumps put out? I always recommend using about 1 litre of air per minute for every 2 litres of nutrient solution

Edit......
    you mention another LED, will you be running two in the tent then? 

7. I will follow along. Love hydro and LED now days. I got a kick ass set up but love to watch people start fresh with hydro.

You are in for a real treat. :D

Good luck..

8. Well I have that 300watt mars pictured as well as a 270watt coming tomorrow. Both are rectangle and will fit nicely in the 2x4, is that what you meant?

For the air pumps I was thinking of wrapping them in towels to dampen the sound but do you think that would heat them up? Also I'm not sure what the pump rate is off the top of my head I'll check the box tomorrow when I go back.

And I got the rotwool because I saw a few people on here use with success they germinated in the cube then after grown a little they slide rite into the clay...I usually do it the way you said with paper towels but trying something new :/

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. #9 GoldGrower, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015

Yeah those two lights will work nicely I'm sure. 

I would say wrapping the pumps is a bad idea, but I guess you could try it for an hour and check, then a few hours and check again. My pumps do get pretty warm so if you insulated them they would heat up the air more and that would heat up your reservoir so I wouldnt advice it myself.

People do have success with rockwool but I see too often people struggling with it. Not so much with germination but with the first couple of weeks when the rockwool is staying too wet and doesn't allow enough oxygen to the roots for decent growth. I have never known anyone to have any issues when they put their seedlets of a  few inches straight in to clay balls. Growth takes off pretty well straight away. 

When watering rockwool try saturating it and then using a pipette suck back out about 1 or 2ml and that should induce enough air in there 

10. So that led is legit on eBay?

11. So i got more stuffff today but Growace Fxcked up and forgot 5 different items. I will not bash them just yet until i call tomorrow and see what happened and what there going to do to fix the issue. I am particularly angry though because i started germination yesterday with expectations of planting into the tent i did not receive this weekend. I am also just mind boggled as to how the shipper (he signed his name Chris) forgot the tent, the largest piece in the entire shipment..lmao but an angry lmao...
    Items i did not receive were the Timer, the Tent, Light Hangers, Base Nutrient, and 3 gallon pvc grow bags. Just upsetting considering i wanted to plant my seeds this weekend and i am not sure what to do now to keep them alive in just  a tiny rockwool until this is figured out..

Heres photos..

Attached Files:

12. What's the red LED looking lights on the side for? It's strange how there's no grill on the exhaust vents 

13. Not sure haha I noticed them when I turned it on, looks cool?

Spoke with growace today and they said that when I placed my order it was rite when they were updating product information so those items got left out of the packing list but idk about that. They shipped everything today though but wouldn't do overnight shipping like I requested they just did fedex ground so in another week I'll be able to start building my stealth tent. Since I am already germing I'll have to leave them under the fluorescent and add some cfls this week

14. So i am trying to figure out PPm and nutrients and all that and i am pretty confused...my Hanna meter read about 150 yesterday in tap water but what is that? PPM, EC, TDS? And when should i add my first nutrients, as soon as i transfer to the bubble bucket? And does the water level go rite up to the bottom of the roots and then as it grows i make sure it stays just at the bottom of the roots? Please help

15. #15 snoopdog6502, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015

by three weeks if they are launching the need fed, Follow the instructions and go light over heavy, use syringes to measure your shit out.

Subtract your plain tap number from the solution number so if your tap is 150,take that off.
    So a soup thats 450 will be thought of as 300PPM

babies 300PPM
    mid grow 600+
    finish full grown plants 900+ PPM

Sneak up on PH remember the PH scale is logarithmic not linear.

If you fuck up you can make new soup in 5 minutes so its super forgiving, good old plain water can bring an over nute down where in soil you flush and drown a plant.

I feed 300ppm to start.

Now to start you may want the water up at least one rock deep on the net pot, once the root shoot out have the water below the pot and force the roots to get big and work for it, get some happy roots and on top you will have a happy plant.
    You can always spray water with a hand sprayer to wet the rocks as they get started in the first week.
    Dont buy any root grower snake oil chemicals, buy a good ass air pump instead.

I hope you grow a kick ass crop of fine home grown herb. [​IMG]

Good luck.

16. #16 GoldGrower, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2015

Have a look here  http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-growing/1198022-how-determine-what-your-plants-preferred-nutrient-strength.html  for a very easy and simple system to keep the nutrient strength exactly where the plants will prefer it 

17. #17 Stroomz, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks goldgrower but I actually read and saved that to my phone last week it's very very helpful...

Question: do I take the silver lining off the outside of the rockwool or leave it?

Went to a fresh water spring today to get some water. Last two successful grows I used this water and it's my secret weapon. Didn't know why it worked so well but the plants love it and I tested it's ph today and it looks spot on. See pic below.

Temps under the lights are 70 degrees Fahrenheit

Day 1

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427001917.754003.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427001935.369788.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427001960.927111.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427001977.173112.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427001989.425595.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427001999.824983.jpg

Yeah when the rockwool cube is in the system you should remove the wrapper.

Keep the waterline just touching the bottom of the pot. If you have it any higher it will waterlogue the rockwool. That stuff will suffocate your roots and kill the plant in no time

19. #19 GoldGrower, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015

That will be ppm. That's about 0.3 EC. 
    I use plain tap water for the first week and then after that bump the ppm up to about 200. Then the week after about 300ppm. 

I keep my waterline halfway up the net pot, but I don't use rockwool so don't need to worry about the roots suffocating. Once roots come out of the net pot you can fill it right up if you want. Top up before the waterline drops more than 4-5" otherwise the roots can dry out and turn to stem

20. I went ahead and carefully dissected the baby sprouts from the rock wool and placed them directly into the rocks. I felt as though the rockwool was soaking wet and hasn't dried in a few days so I didn't want to suffocate them like yall said above.