First timer waiting on my nirvana order.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Juicy100, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Hey guys I've been doing a lot of researching the past month trying to compile tips and techniques. I did grow a single plant in the past but I wanted to be more professional this time around. I'm using fluorescent tubes and CFLs right now, trying to keep it cheap and upgrade as needed. I was going to do a 24 hour cycle for veg but I was wondering if it would be ok to use sunlight in the day and lights at night? Also while I was waiting on the seeds I tried to germinate some bagseed I found and 0 out of 12 popped. The seeds were on the smaller side they all floated in water and were a light tan color. I used the paper towel method on most and jiffy pellets on the others. A few seeds turned towards a green color some turned black inside and one became a better looking brown color with lines. I'm wondering if these seeds were just premature, (they didn't crush though) or if I messed something up? I used bounty paper towels and tap water reading 7.1 ph. I was actually surprised to find these bagseeds cause I haven't found seeds in a sack for a few years and it wasn't bad bud either. I'm hoping that I have better luck with the seeds I ordered. I was also wondering what other people's wait times were from nirvana to the west coast, order shipped on March 4th? I should be getting 30 seeds would that come in the mail or to my door? I will try and keep an update on my progress and if anyone has any amazing tips or advise let me know. I would also love to read other people's stories when they were starting out. Thank you in advance for any help!

2. I wouldn't use sun light then switch to cfls because it would switch the light spectrum up way to much and confuse your plant maybe even stress it I went with a 16/8 for seedling to veg and my babies are doing just fine. and as far as the bagseed that's what im growing now lol but most of those seed are not reliable. from what you said you did everything right its just those seeds may have been defective in a way the eye couldn't see. and as far as advice on nirvana and shipping spend im not much help never ordered from them before.

good luck and happy gardening!

3. Sounding good, i also use T8s and CFLs at 650 total watts. Growing 2 Northern light autos and one pink diesel x amnesia.. The NL is gigantic man and going to yield alot. So far better then my previous grows.

Are you going to train your plants? also what soil? how many watts?

4. #4 Juicy100, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
    My lighting is the same as you Ebcrew haha, does it work good for your setup? Also did you order seeds or use clones? Also I might try to scrog but I might wait till I take clones.

odered seeds from the vault. northern lights are from sensi seeds. my setup is working great so far. My NL auto is bigger then my past photos

6. How long till you got the seeds? And I wanted to get some autos on my next order so that's good to hear.

7. I got my seeds from Nirvana in less than 10 days. I have, however, been waiting on seeds from Herbies for 15 days now.

8. nice I'm in the southwest and I think today is the 10th day so I hope I get them soon. I can't wait, did it come to your door or your mailbox?

9. got mine from the vault in less then a week delivered to my doorstep

10. They were in my mailbox when I got home from work one day. Now I read somewhere else that they've been taking seeds from the UK. That makes me a little nervous cuz I think mine should be here already. Had no problem with the Netherlands. Not so sure about the UK though.

11. Soak your seeds for 3 hours and stick them in a well-soaked Root Riot cube or something similar.  I don't know how peat cubes compare.  The ph of peat moss is not neutral.  I've never used those and prefer Root Riot cubes.

I soak the seeds and Root Riot cubes in the same bottled water poured into a bowl.

Nirvanashop seeds always germinate, but they may sell you feminized seeds that turn out to be male.  Due to their poor quality control and the people they have packaging them.

And I would recommend ordering fewer seeds at a time in case your order is confiscated at US customs.  The supplier is more likely to reship a smaller order than a bigger order in that event.  Maybe get your 30 seeds spread across 6 orders.

13. If you end up ordering autos, I think you will be pleased. Germinated mine in less than 48 hours and their tails were close to an inch long. Now I hope they grow nicely!

14. Amazing. They were put into cups yesterday and one has popped the soil today. You will definitely be pleased, especially if you know what you are doing (I don't, lol).

15. I agree root riot cubes are the best i have success every time. And if you really wanna give them a boost add 1 ML of root stimulater. You can also add it into youre feeding for the first few weeks for some crazy growth. Remember, bigger the roots, bigger the plant, and the faster the roots grow, the faster the plant will grow

16. Where do you guys get your root stimulator and root riot cubes? Also what size pot are you using, I have a decent amount of space and I'm wondering the best way to set up my space while getting the most out of a few plants. I have like another 500 to spend, wondering where it would be spent best. I only have fluorescent lights at the moment and a few 2 gal pots and some nutes and soil. Thinking of maybe getting a led or hps with the money. Also going to make a wood frame and tarp it up and wondering what my dimensions should be to be most efficient?

I recommend finding a local hydroponics store for nutrients and hydo media.

I think your money would be best spent on a nice HPS fixture, bulb, and ballast.  And a nice blower if it's one of those ventilated fixtures.  I would only use an LED light if heat and/or power usage is a concern.

You said you want to use a tarp.  You might want to consider a nice grow tent.  The "dented" mylar on all the sides makes lights a little more efficient.  I'm familiar with Secret Jardin tents.

I do fine with 600 watts of HPS light in a ventilated/sealed fixture in a 4x4 foot tent.  Air is sucked through a carbon filter that is hung from the ceiling of the tent.  That goes through a blower (external to the tent, sitting on a high shelf on the wall - same as the ballast) and back through the light to then be ventilated into the attic.  Might be able to do 1000 watts of light with this setup, but it's not been tried.  Seems like too much light for a small, enclosed space.  Even if the heat can be ventilated.

There is a single plant in the tent at a time.  Using the SCROG method.  The local hydro store sells this 164 foot roll of soft twist tie with a built in cutter.  A good thing to have when tying down a lot of branches.

The plant is in a 5 gallon bucket with a basket lid on top (6 inch basket).  The bucket is used for DWC.  The airstone tube runs through one of the holes in the basket down to the bottom of the bucket.  Hydroton is the medium used in the basket lid.  The nutrient solution is about 2 inches below the bottom of the basket lid.  Outside the tent is a reservoir with a float valve that regulates the depth of the nutrient solution.  That float valve is connected to a higher reservoir that contains fresh water.  The system keeps itself topped off as the plant uses water.

There are airstones in each external reservoir.  They run for 15 minutes every 3 hours.  Get the heavy airstones that sink to the bottom.

GH 3-part nutes are used.  With MagiCal added because the city tap water is too soft and causes calcium deficiencies right off the bat.

So I would go 4x4 with your tarp and two plants.  But you need something bigger than 2 gallon pots.

18. Is your hydro b
    Is your hydro bucket homemade also what would be a good size tent to run clones and mothers and then a seperate flower section? And thanks for the info:)

Hydro setup is homemade from one 5 gal bucket, one 3 gal bucket, and a rubbermade tub (large fresh water reservoir).  The buckets are solid black and block light.  Float valve, grommets, hose, and couplings.  Use one of these to drill your holes.  Don't use a spade bit, or you may get leaks.  I found that dipping the hoses in hot water before slipping it on the coupling made things a lot easier.

I don't do the simultaneous veg and flowering.  Don't require that much volume.  I know they make tents for this purpose (link).  You could do two regular tents, but a lot of light will leak through the vents at the bottom.  May not be best to have them in the same room.
    I think tents are good for situations where you have limited space to devote to the hobby.  Situations where you want to keep the light and climate-controlled space confined to a small area.  They are not good for producing heavy volume.  I think they're meant more for the hobbyist that just makes enough for personal use.

I've thought about maintaining a mother.  In addition to what I described above for the main grow tent, the hypothetical mother tent would be a 1x1 foot tent with a small LED light.  The smallest that would keep it alive.  Passive ventilation with a low-powered inline duct fan.  And basically the same hydo reservoir system (maybe smaller containers).  The idea would be to minimize maintenance costs for the mother.  There are probably other hydro methods than DWC that would be much cheaper to run and maintain.  I would have to look into those.

Like qbit said, HPS and ventilation. You can get a 600w dimmable Lumatek ballast ($180), Hydrofarm vented hood ($85), generic bulb ($20), 6" CAN lite filter ($120), and 6" vortex fan ($150) for $550 ...yea this shit's expensive but generic ballasts fail, generic filters let odor through, and my cheapo ventech inline is on it's way out after 3 years of use (it's gotten loud as fuck), but I guess that's not bad for a cheap fan. It would be nice if the $100 ballasts and $50 filters worked well, but they don't. Bulbs you change every 6 months anyway, once you start generating harvests the cost of a good bulb is a drop in the bucket.

When I have to prioritize a limited budget, the enclosure comes dead last. It's nice to have, but it doesn't increase yield or keep your plants healthy, and light leaks are overrated. Mid-summer I leave my tent flaps unzipped like curtains, no hermies. Better off with a quality ballast and shitty enclosure than going mediocre on both.

Learning where to cut costs and where to focus your resources is an expensive lesson, take it from somebody who has wasted thousands over the years trying to cut corners with cheap equipment.

Cheers!! [​IMG]