Residency Requirements for Retail/Medical Cultivation Applications?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by violentpigeons, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Hello all you beautiful people.  :smoke:

Like many looking to turn their hobby into a professional career with the new laws coming into effect, I am planning to relocate from Florida to a state where recreational use has already been legalized. Now from what I understand Oregon and Alaska being the newest on the frontier, are not accepting applications until 2016. And from what I have heard [note I am saying "heard" and "understand" so if I am wrong about this feel free to correct me] Alaska requires all applicants to have been residents for a year up until their application. And for colorado apparently they up that requirement to two years. And from what I understand, it seems Oregon does not have a residency requirement. 

That being said I feel like most of the "Green Rush" is going to be straight for oregon if that is the case…at least the growers without previous licenses or businesses.  

If anyone on this board has had experience maneuvering through these very sticky laws some insight would be greatly appreciated. For a market that has been practically non existent [at least on the books that is] the exact approach to getting on the books is a bit confusing. 

Any thoughts would be a world of help.  

Sincerely, 
    A floridian who would rather work under the law than against it.  :wave:

2. In Colorado you have to have been a resident for 2 years prior to filing any applications for opening a cultivation facility or retail dispensary.  You also have to go through an extensive background check and be approved by the state licencing authority.  I think the requirements for this are the same as if you wanted to get a "Key" Occupational badge and work in the industry, meaning a background check which will disqualify you if you've had any felonies or drug charges or any kind including possession misdemeanors.

The hardest part about starting a commercial grow facility in Colorado right now is real estate availability and cost, there are relatively few areas that grant licences for cultivation facilities right now, and most of those are densely populated metro areas where you'll have to pay either $1million + for a warehouse or rent one for tens of thousands a month.  There are very few areas that you can have one of these facilities because of zoning so now it is near impossible to find somewhere to grow.

After all that it is still relatively expensive to get your business license here in Colorado in order to start growing legally, it will probably end up costing about $20,000-$50,000 just in fees to the state and much more in legal fees for all the paperwork.

If you just want to grow legally for yourself, then you can do that in your own house with no problems except having to watch your plant counts.

3. #3 FloridaHomeGrown, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
    What area of Florida are you in?I'm from Tampa bay area and there are some big political names pushing hard for legalization here.as you probably know the vote last year was only 2% lower than needed to pass.the same law groups are putting Millions up again for next election and being presidential there will be bigger voter turn out.basically it's expected to pass by most analysts opinion.what I'm getting at is maybe holding of on the big move because you may be able to have your dream here and already have residency and more money you saved from not moving.once it's pass here you can be in on ground level and at the start giving you a better chance at success.

4. #millions not Mullins
    Sorry lol

5. Yeah I had figured with Colorado there would be a lot more demand from buisness owners for cultivation space, with Colorado basically being the homefront for legalalization... I was looking at alaska mainly because the industry over there has been virtually untouched (at least legally but thats anywhere[​IMG] )

I'm in south florida, basically where all the republicans that voted it down reside at.People come here to retire and reinstate their 50 year old taboos on the rest of us. I was thinking about of waiting for the next vote to come around, but if we lost the vote again thats more time wasted, and more time doing nothing but waiting for laws to change. And if property value down here matches warehouse value than I'd also say opening one in florida would be a bit more $$$.

And as far as medical down here goes, from what I understand its limited to only 5 establishments so that leaves virtually no room to get in the industry unless you already knew someone when the vote passed. [​IMG]