South African Sun - Natural Grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Chocolate Log, Mar 9, 2015.

1. The only nutes I have are Seagrow and the aforementioned stale rose food. It has some Potassium in it which I thought might encourage further swelling of the calyxes. So far so good.[​IMG]

I can't wait to see how your little seedlings turn out to be.[​IMG]
    Thanks for stopping by Kyg. Guerilla growers unite![​IMG]

2. hell ya bro GG Unite!! its really helpful that i started getting on these fourms to chat with other guerillas. i have picked up a ton of new things to add in my grows since 2012. it makes us a better grower by not making the same mistakes that other guerillas before us made. just think back in the early to mid 90s there was no internet and the guerillas had to do trial and error once a year to pick up things we can learn at the click of button [​IMG]  ah that food is better then nothing for sure. it will help it along since its flowering. still got a ways to go on it but it will contiune to swell and swell.

3. Haha ok well technically my grow isn't exactly guerilla because it's in my garden, but it's pretty damn guerilla in other respects.

You're right about the Internet though. We're quite privileged to have such a wealth of information at our disposal. The ability to learn from our mistakes and others' is just one of the many things that makes us human.

Keep on keeping on.[​IMG]

4. #44 PlaidBeeSmokin', Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015

That strain was the 20YKS.  There will be 2 of them in the cab in 3-4 weeks!  

I answered you trichrome question in pm, but here it is again

did someone say calyxes?
    View attachment 155073

Hope it helps!!

Plaid

5. I'll be watching that 20YKS. It looks awesome.

Haha now you're just showing off [​IMG]. Thanks for the PMs man. REALLY helpful.

Take care, Sensei.

6. #46 PlaidBeeSmokin', Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
    Glad to be of help.=)  

post some pics, please.  I'd love to see some close-ups to see the trichromes, and whole bud shots.  those babies have gotta be sparklin' now hey?  those ones you took in the dark were cool.

If you start to see damage from the temps then it's time.  how cool will it get in the week to come?

Take care

Plaid

7. #47 Chocolate Log, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
    Hey man. Sorry it's been a while, I've been a little busy.[​IMG]

In the interest of stealth, I've decided to bend her over so she in amongst the aloes. My motivation in doing this was fear of the neighbours seeing her, as she was getting rather lanky and we only have a fence dividing our properties. I slung some cat's claw creeper around her for added camouflage.

I've taken plenty of pictures, so prepare yourself.

See if you can spot her.[​IMG]
    20150419_164805.jpg
    20150419_162719.jpg

20150419_164730.jpg
    20150419_164726.jpg
    20150419_164722.jpg
    20150419_164646.jpg
    20150419_164640.jpg
    20150419_164634.jpg
    20150419_164447.jpg
    20150419_164436.jpg
    20150419_164146.jpg
    20150419_163820.jpg
    20150419_163816.jpg
    20150419_163641.jpg

And now for Junior (can't forget Junior)
    20150419_164819.jpg
    20150419_164834.jpg
    20150419_165428.jpg
    20150419_165450.jpg
    20150419_165814.jpg

Day time temps are still fairly moderate, it's just the nights that are starting to get a bit nippy. Pistils are almost all brown now, but the calyxes are still increasing in size. It's a good thing I didn't cut her (them) down.

Keep well Plaid.
    Hit me up when you get a chance.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. #48 PlaidBeeSmokin', Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015

WOW!  That's a stunning Land-racey Sativa man.  I'm sooo glad you didn't chop her down as well.  If the calyxes are getting bigger than keep her in there.  The Trichromes are looking like they're gonna burst!  It's pretty close now hey?  Like 2 weeks at the very earliest maybe.  It's so hard to say.   Those calyxes could get quite large.  

For warmth at night you could put 3 stakes in a triangle around the plant and place a plastic bag over the stakes.  It' is VERY important that no part of the plastic bag is touching the plant and there should be a few inches at the bottom is open to let the plant breath.  It doesn't look like it's stressed by the cold though so It might be good.  Maybe plastic bag below 5 C.  Unless it's humid.  Then no plastic bag.  

That's great.  I think that will help with the temp. as well.  It's now among other plants will keep her warmer.  Just like people, you huddle together in the cold to keep warm, lol.  

Keep up the good work.  Things are great!!

Plaid 

9. #49 Chocolate Log, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    Thanks for the plastic bag tip dude. It's not quite 5 centigrade but I will definitely keep that in mind.

Now, you mentioned to me that I should wait for the leaves to change shade but I just don't see this happening with my Sativa. Maybe not all Sativas present this trait. So what I have to look at now as my indicator of ripeness is the trichomes. I've got basically 90% expired pistil coverage and from what I can see, almost all of the trichomes are cloudy (thought it's hard to make it out). I took some nice shots, with my trusty old laser lens, for you to examine:

20150425_161924.jpg
    20150425_163315.jpg
    20150425_163342.jpg
    20150425_163456.jpg
    20150425_163500.jpg
    20150425_163639.jpg
    20150425_163700.jpg
    20150425_163747.jpg
    20150425_164119.jpg

I also have one more thing to add. I've noticed one or two seeds peeking out of some calyxes, yet there are no males around. I'm not really sure how this is possible?

I look forward to hearing from you Plaid.

Keep well man.

10. Lovin the look of that sativa man. Super sexy plant :)

11. There's either a male somewhere in your vicinity or its a hermie,look for tiny pollen sacks in the middle of a bud cluster. Will look like a banana.

Landrace sativas are notorious for being hermie in the wild.

I've never grown a landrace African sativa that didn't hermie. That said, I've grown only one, but research has showed me the commonality.
    ~ poke
    Fwiw, I don't see any seeds.

12. looking great c-log.  That stuff wil have you doing the Pata Pata

13. Haven't heard from you in a while Poke. What a pleasant surprise.[​IMG]

I actually looked hard for nanners and can't see any, unless they're really hiding from me. My only explanation would be that a bee (or some other insect) pollinated it from another male nearby. Either way, I'll be keeping the seeds for next year. There's literally only two seeds that I can see for now so it's not out of control or anything.

I think she's nearing the end of her journey now. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for stopping by man, it's always a treat. You take care now.

14. Thanks Pork. I'm not quite sure what the Pata Pata is, but I'm sure I'll be doing it when this stuff is through with me.[​IMG] My yield won't be fantastic but I'm positive it will be some really sticky icky.

It's great to hear from you again, I'm glad you approve. Stay safe.[​IMG]

15. Pata Pata!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87S_wbCsNbQ

16. #56 PlaidBeeSmokin', Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
    Things look great!  WOw!

I'd surley listen to poke when it comes to landrace sativas.  The man knows his stuff and has first hand experience.  In terms of the adivce he gave you, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Really, that's what I would have told you.  You're very close.  But the last thing to happen on a plant at the very end of it's flowering cycle, is suck up all of the stored sugar and nutrients that it's stored in it's leaves for months.  It doesn't take long, maybe two-three weeks from green to Multi-colored joy!    If you still have the odd white stigma poppin' out, it's not done quite yet.

You may see some yellowing or purpling on the calyxes, =)

Stick with it, and I'm sure you'll be glad you did a month from now when your smoking a crazy psychedelic spliff! [​IMG]  

Good luck!

PLaid

17. If it is at the end of its journey it very well be rodelization after all, which means it's got a very good chance of being female.
    http://www.hightimes.com/read/rodelization-somas-way-female-seeds
    If a bee pollinated that, how bloody special! Nature and cannabis have been limited from each other by man!

Yes it's been too long! I am a busy man! My sincerest apologies!
    ~ poke

18. Hello there mister plaidbee!
    :wave:
    ~ poke

19. looks awesome to me. never seen this type of sativa before. for just throwing a seed out your windoyou gotta be pumped. all the  setbacks and injury to the plant has to make that much better. when you finally cut her down and are able to puff your high should be even more pleasant  just knowing everything she went through to get there. you gotta post some pickies of thos sweet nugz when their all cured.  [​IMG][​IMG]

20. OldPork is banned??? Say it isn't so.[​IMG]