South African Sun - Natural Grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Chocolate Log, Mar 9, 2015.

1. #21 Chocolate Log, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    Thanks for your input Pork.

The buds are pretty small but she's gaining speed now. I suspect the damaged stem is slowing things down slightly, but it is what it is I suppose. The stigmas are slowly turning brown so I don't think I can leave it for too much longer.

As long as I get some sort of yield I will be happy, as this is my first actual grow.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I appreciate your advice Poke.

I realise that this plant is severely undernourished. At this late stage,however, I think it would be a bit of a lost cause to try and supplement it with worm castings. I live in an extremely small town and trying to find redworms here would be very difficult (if not impossible). I am going to try locate some nearby though. Next year I will hopefully be better equipped, with your pearls of wisdom embedded in my mind.

I'm not sure if earthworms would be of any use? I know there's quite a few of those wriggling around in the garden.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Plaid! I knew you would say something.[​IMG]

I agree with you there. These buds are very Sativa-like, and they run all along the length of the stem.

The odour that is plant is giving off is something truly unique. The closest thing that I can compare it to is the smell of one's armpits after a heavy workout. It's an extremely earthy aroma with slight hints of soil. There really isn't much which it can be likened to.

I will keep you all updated as she approaches the end of her enchanting existence.

2. Earthworms wouldnt hurt if you brought some to the site, but dont try using them for composting.

3. #24 kygiacomo, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
    lol i paid alot more then that for my seeds this year but the way i look at it is 1 plant will get all the money back. really when u think about it each seed is really worth about 2,000$ each [​IMG]  i use to grow nothing but bagseed and never knew what i was gonna get male or female. now i have cut my plant #'s down to 20 bc i can get 20 females out of 20 seeds instead of wasteing time,money and a plot space on a male. by the looks of the plant i would say u are at least 3-4 weeks away if u want to get good weed. sure u can pull it early if u need to but it wont be much more then a slight head change. i had to pull a couple early last year like 2.5 weeks early due to bud rot and once they dried up i didnt have no more then a few grams and on top of it it was extremely weak and i was pissed at myself for not doing prevention sprays with greencure and other organic fungicides so i could have let them finish. i learned my lesson on that though i would rather lose 50% to mold and get finished buds then to chop early and get 100% of the plant with a very weak high. earthworm castings would do that plant so well u would be surprised at what they could do to that plant at this stage..gl

Hey!  How's things?  You should post some pics of her.  I'd really like to see the progress.  

BTW-  my plants are @ day 28 today!!!

I gotta run but I'll pop in later to see you.

Have an awesome day

Plaid

Plaid

5. I think I'm going to try that.[​IMG]

I suppose if you look at it that way then it would probably be worth it. Right now,though, I'm too broke for that. I seem to be having pretty good luck with my bag seed anyway, and I'm not planning on selling or distributing.

I'm sorry to hear about your bud rot though, that must totally suck balls.[​IMG] I'm hoping that doesn't happen to my little plot. 

So far I've been using expired rose food with fairly good results. I know it's not nearly enough, but I'm trying to do things on the cheap[​IMG].

Thanks for dropping by man. Good luck with your endeavors.

6. i know what u mean bro we can only do what our budget will alow. bud rot sucks ass for sure! i have did alot of research on it since last years grow and picked up alot of info that i was doing wrong. i got a journal going on in my sig if u want to check it out. im doing a bunch of differnt strains this year to try and find a few other strains that will go along well with delahaze so i have a nice variety. roll on croptober!! tomato food is what i used when i was on low budget and it worked pretty well. i'll follow along here and see how this one turns out for u though. 
     all the best

7. Thanks man. I'm holding thumbs. I'll be keeping track of your grow too.[​IMG]

8. Pictures you say? Coming right up!

04 April 2015

1.jpg

20150404_181203.jpg

20150404_181229.jpg

20150404_181314.jpg

20150404_181329.jpg

20150404_181422.jpg

And then, of course, I can't forget about junior. My little one-foot wonder:

20150404_181405.jpg

20150404_181125.jpg

Lastly. Probably the smallest flowering plant you have ever seen. Just so happens to be female too.:

20150404_181139.jpg

20150404_181151.jpg

I don't even really know how it's possible. It barely has 5 sets of leaves.

Enjoy.[​IMG]

9. #31 Chocolate Log, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015

Thank you[​IMG]. It could be better.

To be honest the buds mainly consist of just pistils with a few calyxes popping up here and there, and LOADS of sugar leaves. Though, being predominantly Sativa, they're probably supposed to look like that.

It's not going to be the strongest smoke in the world, but I'm on a T-break at the moment so I suppose it will probably get me pretty baked anyway.[​IMG]

Your buds look like fire and they're only 28 days old. But I suppose you reap what you sew hey?

10. #32 PlaidBeeSmokin', Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015

Well I think you're comparing apples and oranges.  Indica buds to sativa.  I think they look great btw.  The buds in those other pics are Indica dominant strains/buds.  They almost always look nicer, grow denser, and grow really quickly, like 6-8 weeks.  Sativa's on the other hand is characterized by scraggly, airy flowers and take much much longer to flower.  10-22 weeks.  So they are supposed to be like that.  

If you look at the flowers on the 2 Haze Plants in the cab, they're much less developed than the indica buds, and it's a week ahead.  Sometimes it's just not accurate to refer to a sativas "buds", lol.  Sativa flowers seems better, to me, lol.  

Haze Extreme flowers at 40 days.  
    View attachment 154740
    View attachment 154738

Indica flowers at 31 days
    View attachment 154737
    View attachment 154741

Take care

Plaid

11. I think they look amazing choco

12. .ģģģ

13. #35 PlaidBeeSmokin', Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015

See?  They look great.  It's just the structure of sativa flowers.  I've heard people say that they don't enjoy growing them because they think they are ugly.  I think these people are crazy.  They are just as beautiful as an indica flower.  After harvest it's a different story.  I'm having really really enjoying having something different in the cab.  I think lots of indica buds(on different strains) look very similar until the last 3 weeks of flowering so it's nice to have something else to enjoy.  Plus This is my first time growing out a very sativa dominant strain.  Can't grow them up here, season is way too short.  You could in a greenhouse but we don't get enough red spectrum light after the end of september to make that worth them effort.  

Keep it up!

Plaid

You're right, I shouldn't really be comparing. I think I've done pretty well considering the lack of nutes.

I have a feeling she's coming into the home stretch now because some of the lower fan leaves are starting to wilt up. It could also be the cold, I'm not too sure.:

20150408_172858.jpg
    20150408_173415.jpg
    20150408_173551.jpg
    20150408_173314.jpg
    20150408_173338.jpg
    20150408_173539.jpg

Also, just a small update on the little one:

20150408_173200.jpg
    20150408_173507.jpg
    20150408_173759.jpg

And the very little, almost Indica-looking, one:

20150408_173445.jpg
    20150408_173457.jpg

I gave them all some Seagro yesterday. It's an organic fish/sea plant emulsion. Just to perk them up a little[​IMG].

Anyway, thanks for you continued encouragement and guidance. I've learnt quite a bit from you.
    BTW, that Haze Extreme of yours is looking mighty tasty[​IMG]. It's nice to see you throwing a Sativa into the mix.

Keep well man. 

15. I appreciate that dude. Thank you for your interest.[​IMG]

16. Wow!  They're all nice but that first one is gonna be unreal! You are really gonna have something nice to chop in a couple few weeks!

And the leaves on the bottom is normal in late flowering.  Those babies should begin pulling all of their stored nutrients that they spent their whole life collecting, out of the leaves and into the flowers.  The leaves should begin to change color and texture.  They turn yellow, red, orange, purple, and take on a much drier texture.  I can't remember what it's called but it's the plant knowing that it's life is coming to an end so it will put everything it has into it's flowers.  It's really pretty, at least I think so.  

These are some examples from my garden(past grow)

View attachment 149607
    View attachment 149829
    View attachment 149827

Have a great day!

Plaid

17. I see what you mean. That is indeed a gorgeous specimen. The colour of those stigmas is captivating. Mind if I ask what strain that was? 

Also, I need to ask. Do you wait for your trichomes to turn amber or do you harvest when they're cloudy/milky?

18. they are looking really good to have no nutes at all bro. i bet if u had of gave that one some good nutes it would be a monster..i only grow sativas or hybrids. the indicas always get bud rot here in my climate. i love the sativa buzz though over a indica anyday of the week.