The Meaning of Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by LabanNatin, Mar 9, 2015.

1. [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txFxqzHEvqM[/media]

2. The meaning of life isn't egotism.

3. Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Meaning of life is to not die...

It is for some people.

6. The meaning of life is to find a meaning in life, IMO.

7. life advances into its own purpose; the experience of its own existence

8. To experience trial and error as this creative life force in order to seek out what best advances itself as it becomes consciously aware of itself, by itself, as itself.... the remembering. 

I personally disagree. I believe in the idea that the meaning of life is unique to the individual. However, unique doesn't necessitate every possibility; I think egotism will always be a byproduct of something closer to the individual's meaning of life. Because egotism doesn't seem to me able to exist without an incorrect perception of the self. I think it may be part of the path to various meanings of life, but not the metaphorical 'end goal'.

I guess I don't believe that because the end goal is always death, and if the meaning to life isn't an end goal, then it's always continuous. Then again, what better to help one understand the meaning of something, than its end?

10. The meaning of life-the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

Well maybe that's the definition, but also the meaning.  

If you mean the point and purpose of life, it's different for everyone, but for me it is to live one day at a time and enjoy myself.  To do everything of opposites simultaneously.  I.E. to strive and not strive at all at the same time.  The yin and the yang.  And it also goes back to the "definition".  To experience growth, functional activity and continual change before I die....maybe even reproduction.  Man life.

11. The meaning of life, is to give life a meaning

A wise man once told me

12. “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
        says the Teacher.
    “Utterly meaningless!
        Everything is meaningless.”

from the bible

13. #13 BRZBoy, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015

Yet you will and most likely sooner then you think. You might live another 50 years or tomorrow hit by someone who runs a red light. Your only real purpose in terms of nature is to procreate thats about it. Everything else is filler.

We would like to think differently but alas it is true and the time you have spent on this planet will most likely be unremarkable, and when you pass like all the people except for a handful  you will be forgotten.

If you can somehow keep yourself going 5 billion years from now our Sun will run out of our hydrogen and Nova wasting everything in the Solar System but long before that it will incinerate the surface clean as it grows in size. Then not a singular example of any of our existences will be around. Except for the probes we sent which more likely will be used as target practice like in Star Trek.

Our 'real purpose in terms of nature' is to procreate.

According to you, that purpose has survived a massive population growth; one that humans have yet to reasonably accomodate. So our purpose, according to these 'terms' that 'nature' has set, is to grow? Do these terms disregard humanity's own capability to take care of their own? Or is humanity just too stupid to do it?

Idk, it seems to me you're saying the meaning of life depends on the 'natural order' of things, and that procreation, because it's fundamental to continuing perception, is the 'natural order'.

Why would this alleged nature allow a species to create so much that it doesn't know how to properly handle and distribute its contributions? If the 'meaning of life', was to create more life, why are we squandering so much potential?

Evolution comes to mind, but that typically weeds out the 'worst' methods. So if our current methods of sustaining life aren't the worst.. then I say, fuck the true meaning of life.

Then again.. I don't know how you define what you speak of, and only go off of what I observe. Sorry if I'm floating in some netherworld :)

Everyone's reality is different and people say that live in Africa live a life that a EUer or North American can not imagine or fathom.

Nature creates many things that get out of control..then they end up being wiped out by whatever. Literally the only thing that nature requires out of you as a species is to procreate to continue the species, exchange DNA, slowly advance that species. Thats about it.

My job, my things, my political beliefs...those are all artificial that I/we created that will long be forgotten in the eons to come. What will still be there is the species we created from breeding.

One of the reasons for explosive population growth is the requirement for manual labor by 3rd world nations. Imbalances are people induced like in China. In some parts men in China can go many miles without seeing a female. Why?...that one child policy and modern technology allows the family to know that a female baby is on its way. One child being a female means no one to help the farm..and contrary to popular belief most of China still is subsistence farming...that means you want a male. So in China many families willingly abort a female for a male. A huge imbalance created by human policy not nature.

On the flip side go to Japan. There one of the first industrilized nations to experience negative population growth. Why..a little hidden secret in Japan that they rarely report on is that in Japan if you have a child you are expected to leave the work force forever to take care of that child and your family. Women who do not are off the book punished for it...termination, no promotions etc. So as a result many many women in Japan do not even have sex. They have a actual industry that has sprouted up to teach adults if you can imagine about sex. Anyhow there culture has created a imbalance...not nature.

16. yeah way to over think a joke...if you die, then life is over, so the meaning of life is to not die...no one said anything about the length of life...

17. #17 forty winks, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015

I wonder if meaning can exist without finitude?

Edit -

Oh shit, maybe you cracked a joke.

18. yeah since its been taken seriously a few times, i'll just say it was a george carlin joke...

“I wanna live. I don't wanna die. That's the whole meaning of life: Not dying! I figured that shit out by myself in the third grade”

19. The people in this video-except for maybe that one at the end....acted like they had never even thought of this concept before....lol...

My personal feeling about the meaning to life is to live, love, and laugh.... keep it SIMPLE. It's not fucking rocket science!

Peace bitches, that's RIGHT

20. Hi

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum