Issues with first grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Knockoutplanting, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Hello, I started my first grow with seeds I have acquired over time a couple months ago. I have had some issues here and there but have been able to manage this far. I started with 10 seeds of varying strains and got around seven seedlings. I am down to 4 plants as of now but these for have all been alive since the beginning. My plants are getting large and I am to the point where if I want them to survive I will need some assistance and advice. If anyone would be able to provide some assistance it would be much appreciated. I can post picture and hopefully answer any questions you may have. I am pretty sure the plants have some form of nute deficiency and on one plant almost all of the leaves have fallen off and all that remains is the main stem and pistols that look to have been burnt and I do not know if the plant is able to be saved. Please get back to me if you think you may be able to help, I will provide as much information as I can.It would be much appreciated as I really do not want them to die.

2. Why don't you post some pics?  And tell us exactly your problem.  Without that you probably wont get any responses.

3. COPY/PASTE: into your post.
    Answer these simple questions the best you can.
    If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA
    Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
    System type?
    PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
    What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
    Indoor or Outdoor
    Light system, size?
    Temps; Day, Night
    Humidity; Day, Night
    Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
    AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
    Co2; Yes, No
    Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you [​IMG]

4. Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA : Seeds from bags; varying unknown strains
    Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? Happy Frog Potting Soil
    System type? NA
    PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? My pH levels stay in between 6 and 7
    What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
    Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor
    Light system, size? I have cfls on the plants currently, I have a 150 HPS light that looked to be burning the plats so I got scared and discontinued usage for the moment
    Temps; Day, Night: My room is on 24 hours of light with a temperature constantly around 80 degrees 
    Humidity; Day, Night
    Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: I have two fans in the room but it is not being vented out anywhere
    AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, : I have been using towels to increase my humidity 
    Co2; Yes, No: No
    \nI will work on posting some picture here shortly. Thank you for help.

5. Here are some picture of the plants and what the issues are. The plant broken in the middle was one of the best until it got damaged. I do not know if it able top be saved or what I should do. The other plant lost most of its leaves and I am also not sure if it can be turned around. One the largest plants I have not seen any signs on gender and I am not sure why as it is the largest. They all seem to have nutrient problems and I have done research but can not tell as to what specifically, and I can not figure out what I can do as a solution to my lighting as I think they need more light but I don't want them to continue to get more damaged. Any advice would be much appreciated. This is my first run and I want to know what I can improve upon for the future.

Attached Files:

6. Are the leaves dying from the bottom up. If so, theyre probably root bound.

Check the pots drain holes, see roots?

Lemme know
    ~ poke

7. Flush the plants. 3-5x pot size. So 3 gallon gets 9-15 gallons.

How are you checking ph? Runoff tells you nothing. You need to rake a dry soil sample, submerge it in 7.0 nuetral distilled water and test that.

Test multiple samples per plant.

Next let them dry.

Go to home depot and buy some chicken manure for 3 bucks for a 1.5 cu foot sized bag. Go to the grocery store, get some black strap molasses.

Put them in a bucket.

Get another 5 gallon bucket, add an airstone to it and let it bubble for two hours, then, pour that water (now dechlorinated) into the bucket with chicken manure and molasses, 1 cup of chicken manure should do it.

Let it brew 48 hours. Feed it to your plants when theyre dry enough.

Next buy corn kernals for popcorn on the stove, soak it for twelve hours, rinse it well, let it sit out for twelve hours.

Repeat this process til your corn has toots 1 inch long.

Blend the corn, strain it into a 5 gallon bucket (seed sprout tea)

Next time you are ready to water your planta, give them this corn water. Repeat every 10 days. :)

Watch your friends and family marvel at your godlike ability to grow plants.

~ poke

8. They seem to be dying from the top down on the plants that look to be wilting. I checked the holes and saw no roots.

9. I can definitely try that. I did test my pH from the soil though, with a capsule tester. Will those solutions fix my current problems or is that future advise.

10. The plants also seem to not be drying out very quickly. It has been a few days and the soil is still very moist.

11. The method i showed you will provide better results than any bottle nutes you can buy.

If you can get ahold of worm castings and put them in place of chicken manure even better.

And yes, it should absolutely correct your issue.

Are you spraying the plants from the top?

If you switched from an hps back to cfl they probably need more light. Id put that 150w hps back. I can say that theyr are almost certainly underlit.
    ~ poke

12. I haven't sprayed my plants with anything. If I put the hps back on how do I keep them from burning up like what happened to the plant where all the leaves died and the pistols are burnt. I do think you are definitely right about them being under lit though. And can the plant where all the leaves dyed and the plant that is broken in the middle be saved at all? Also, is there a reason two plants have shown no signs of gender while the other two have pistols all over? Thank you so much for the help thus far, you're a life saver.

13. #13 rain dancer, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    To keep the plants from burning move the light away. It should be 6 inches or more away. Wind should be moving across the canopy on low.

Cfls almost have to touch the plant to provide light. Lumen wise, 276w of cfl is equal to 150w hps (16000 lumens)

Happy Frog is a fox farm product. Fox farm soils are notorious for bugs, specifically fungus gnats, which eat root hairs and kill the plants with brown blotches all over leaves.

The broken branch can be saved if you fused the broke branch with duct tape almost immediately, within 5 minutes and by fused i mean it should look like a plate with a crack in it.

Otherwise, it will survive and the scar tissue will be woody. The crack will stay and dry. As long as the stem wasnt decapitated it will survive even split completely in half. Ive done this on purpose for test purposes.

Two that didnt show gender can do so for a number of reasons, from being autoflowers to stress, to not being mature enough.

Light schedule is everything.

If youre not on 12/12 they shouldnt throw preflowers til maturity.

Id keep them on 18/6, as a dark period is beneficial to cannabis imho.
    ~ poke

14. I can switch that light back on I was just concerned. It was like a foot and a half above the plants when they burned previously. Is there more I can do to prevent this? Should I be spraying my plants with anything? I will also switch my light cycle starting the next day. Should I be concerned with the soil I'm using? I haven't seen any bugs, do my plants seem to show signs of them in the picture. 

15. Its hard to tell.

Your ph looks outta wack. Because of this you have multiple deficiencies.

Some of your plants are flowering which is impossible nder 24 hours of light unless theyre autoflowers.

Some of the damage looks like fungus gnat damage but its hard to tell due to improper ph.

What and when are you feeding? How old are your plants? They all look different ages.
    150w hps shouldnt be burning plants that far up. They dont look light burned or heat stressed at all. Perhaps you misdiagnosed the light issue.
    ~ poke

16. #16 Knockoutplanting, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    The pH was on exactly on all the plants every-time I tested from the soil. The pH has never been different from 6-7. All plants are the same age (a few months, unfortunately I don't remember the date) and have all had the exact same conditions. The only difference is the largest plant was topped twice and the others were not at all. I have been using fish fert at 3/4 strength every two weeks. I very well could have misdiagnosed but at the time that seemed to be what was causing the issues. I will turn the light back on and see what happens. Do I need to post more picture to give a better idea? 

17. As i said before, youve gotta be running autoflowers. They wont bud like they have otherwise.

Fish ferts? Not alaska fish ferts which contain mercury? Because if so that get retained by the plants and youll smoke mercury in your bud, not much, but enough that you should tell people before they smoke that.

My moneys on those fish ferts throwin ph outta wack. Id flush them very well and use another fertilizer.
    Also, if youre not testing with distilled water and dry samples then you dont know what your ph is, it doesnt matter what runoff says.

18. Since the two are autoflowers what should I do? Every time I have tested pH it has been a dry soil sample with distilled water. I didn't test it from the run off, I'm sorry if i was unclear. So I should flush completely and starting using the fertilizer that you recommended?

19. Well if you have autflowers the photos wont flower under 24/0 or 18/6 they need 12/12

But the autos need 18/6 - 24/0

If youre comfortable still smoking the cannabis knowing it possibly contains toxic metals then yes, the methods ive told you about will fix them right up.

Theyve never failed me.

The ssts will boost the acts.

Ssts for enzymes, hormones, etc.

Acts for microbes (fungi, bacteria) as well as feeding.

Invest in kelp meal. Its the best amendment on earth imho.
    ~ poke

20. But can I continue to grow the auto-flowers or since they are like that do I need to start flowering them under 12/12 sooner than later? The fertilizer I used is just labeled as organic fish fertilizer, does it have a high amount of mercury? I started fertilizing pretty late in their lives, if i discontinue using it and switch to your method will the amount of mercury be toxic? I can try switching to your methods as early as tomorrow so hopefully I can get them started on a better track. I can also look into kelp meal. What is "acts" I'm sorry, I still don't know a lot of stuff.