Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hey Parent tokers,

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by zigzagsundew5, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Got 15 and 12 yr old here and we have talked about pot being legal in some places not in others, used for mmj at the same time can make u laugh been though the Dare program telling them pot kills which they know doesn't ,grams just had cancer so that was option they were aware of for her, but I am still going to be like a deer in headlights when they see me smoking..I don't feel the need to hide don't want smoke in the house so I am in the garage etc...I know someone knows the situation..how did it play out? From parent or kids point of view..we are in non legal state of texas, wilco the land of really stupid old cops..the kid gonna get life for brownies..lives within 20 mins of me.

2. I remember when I caught my parents smoking when I was about your kids' age. It didn't scar me or leave me physiologically disturbed, just confused at the time

Be a good parents and don't let your kids see your glass

3. #3 wafdof, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    My daughter is 17 and she came home talking about how bad pot is for you among other things.  We have been pretty open that my wife uses for Medical reasons and I plan to use recreationally the day I retire and on. LOL   We don't keep any secrets from our kids once they get old enough to understand.  Too open?  The conversation goes both ways and it is honest.  We discussed the gateway drug "issue" and how old the data is about marijuana.  We discussed the  real issue on how it could negatively affect developing brains and that is our primary reason we prefer her to not smoke until she got older.  

Not talking about these things is how kids die from the real threat like "Spice" and other garbage that is being marketed as synthetic pot.  Many times kids equate legal (or legal in terms of not for human consumption) as being ok while illegal is worse.  Mixed up thinking?  Well, that is why we are the parents and are suppose to talk to our kids and coach them though life.

4. Just be honest

5. I think with kids that age you have to be careful they don't think it's okay to use marijuana just because their parents do. Keep your stash locked away where they can't get it.

6. Yup^ fine line

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

7. Its locked away when they home,the daytimeits stashedin the laundry room, trust me teens do not go there at all by choice and all the fabric smells cover anything!

8. I would suggest investing in a portable vape like a pax or something. Not only is it healthier to the user but if your kids do find you smoking some time it's much more likely that you can cover it up rather than the whole place smelling like dankness lol

Personally I wouldn't want my kids to know that I smoke until at least 16 cause I would be more likely to smoke I I knew my parents smoked and I definitely don't want my kids smoking younger than 16

9. I have a friend with a two year old and he smokes around him all the time. Id never do that but i wont critique his parenting to him. Another lady i know does the same with her almost two year old.

10. There is no license to have kids and these are the type of morons that raise.....other morons.  No worse than getting totally drunk and belligerent in front of your kids.  

11. Wait until they're in high school to tell them unless they are already accepting of if. Coming from a kids point of view who

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. #12 foxforcefive, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    My dad used to smoke pretty much every night. I remember being 8 years-old and my dad would go to the garage with his friend. I was always like, "What the hell are they doing in there?" Being a curious kid, I would go into the basement (it was connected to the garage) and the basement REEKED like weed. Of course at the time I didn't know what weed smelled like, I just smelled a smoky smell, so I assumed they were smoking cigarettes. Which actually made me cry because my dad always told us how cigarettes are terrible for you, and I thought he was such a hypocrite. But I never said anything.

Then when I was 12 I walked in on my older sister smoking weed in her room. I smelled it and I was like, "This is what dad smells like every night! Holy shit!" 

So for my entire teenage life I knew my dad smoked weed. I actually used to steal some of his weed, so he obviously knew that I knew and that I smoked as well. He never said anything, and neither did I.

As for you, however you want to raise your kids is obviously your call. If I had kids, I'd be more open with it when they got around 16-17 years old. Honestly, I think the smartest thing a parent could do is smoke with their 16-17 year old. My friend's mom smoked with him when he was 15, and he says the experience was so awkward that it actually kept him from smoking again until college, which is probably a good thing.

If your kids find out that you smoke, treat it like alcohol and say, "This is for adults, and you're not an adult." Period. End of discussion.

13. it never bothered me at all that my father smoked. but then again look at me now

Skate.

14. My mom didn't like me Toking too much but rather me toke in the house than go out and get in trouble, I smoked many of bowls and bong rips with my madre, honestly some of the funniest times to see her baked and make her face light up when I hand her a grilled cheese. I will always remember those moments. Cheers

-Appreciate what you got cause one day it can all be gone-

15. #15 5cooby Doo, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015

This also creates a Catch22 type scenario, where on one had it is positive to have your meds. locked in a safe place, but on the other hand invites the world of imagination and curiosity in child. (What's inside that case. Why does it have to be locked). Just as important is the physical (lock down part), the knowledge must also be understood and learnt. (Yes these are mommy's meds., she needs to do deal with .....)[​IMG].

16. Simple rule.  We only smoke when they are sleeping over at a friend's house.  Helps make it more special.

17. I didn't start smoking until I was forty-one, and I only told my older son (19) because he smelled it and knew what it was. Now I vape. My young daughter (8) thinks the grinder is for grinding tea leaves...that's how much I hide smoking from her.

18. #19 Tea_H_Sea, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
    Be open and honest with your kids about cannabis.  We told our teen years ago that if he is going to use something that we would rather he use cannabis vs alcohol.  Last summer he admitted that he smokes pot.  We told him that while we wish he would have waited until he's 25, after his brain is fully developed, we are glad that he is honest about it.  He makes excellent grades in school, he is a hard worker, he's honest, what more could a parent ask for?  We allow it because we know that he will do it anyway if we say he isn't allowed to.  That's just how kids are.  They are going to make choices whether you like it or not.  Educate them on the pros and cons, medical benefits, possible damage it can cause to a developing brain, etc. 

My 7 year old has seen my stash but he doesn't know what it is other than what I told him. (I told him it was medicine)  I haven't talked to him about it but I will in a few years.  He didn't have any questions after I told him it was medicine. (I would have answered them had he asked any)

19. When I was in high school I found my dads stash in his closet while I was getting a towel (that's where they kept the towels).  Anyway It was a few joints, a grinder, a bag with two nugs and a lighter.  I didn't smoke at the time and I didn't really care one way or the other.  I put it back and went about my business.  

A month or two later he calls me downstairs and says he can't breathe and shit, smelling like pot lmao.  Anyway instead of scaring me off, this got me curious and I started smoking with my older brother.  

Fast forward to the first time I got caught after about a year, he comes in early from work and catches me and my brother smoking a blunt outside.  He tells us that he didn't mind if we smoked as long as school came first, responsibilities taken care of etc.  

Needless to say we were stoked we could smoke as long as we did good, which we were doing already.  I started smoking around the end of my junior year, requested to be put into accelerated graduation the next year and graduated within two months of school starting getting blazed every day before school.  

My advice as a son, make ABSOLUTELY SURE your kids know that responsibilities/priorities come before getting high.