What exactly do I need to dab? Pleas read the description before answering

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Uh_Oh420, Mar 7, 2015.

1. I have dabbed before but am still a bit new to it. So I have this rig from Grav Labs that looks like a slushy or a dabbiccino. I bought mine with a bowl head instead of the rig attachments because dabs weren't common at the time. Now because I have a built in female piece which holds a 14mm do I need a male to male piece? What do I need if I were to go with glass? What would I need if I were to go with a titanium nail or a ceramic? What are the pros and cons of each. What would you personally recommend? Thanks to everyone who gives helpful information. 

2. I dont dab much but all my friends here in san diego that do when I blaze with them swear by titanium nails

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. 1.you would need a 14mm nail and if yer cup has a male joint which I think they do you would need a female(like the dome that came with yer rig?) For domeless and depending where you go with a domeless you need a carb cap

3.a reg ti nail would need a dome a domeless model would need a carb cap to get the most efficient dabs but can be used without ceramic for the most part are domeless tho there may be a few "nail" like models requiring a dome but I haven't seen em.
    4.pros of ti they are very durable and can retain heat fairly well ok on taste. . Ceramic hold heat ok depending who you ask and the flavor is better then a ti (but quartz bangers where it's really at for flavor ) they do tend to break VERY easy or stress cracks..imo they are ok but not all the hype was for
    5. I would recommend a quartz banger with a carb cap (I use my budder block but someone will chime in what works for em) I love my quartz banger...here's a pic of my setup maybe that will help sorry if I'm all over the place I'm Highly medicated pun intended

Attached Files:

4. I haven't changed my coil in like three months. Although this isn't dabbing I find it much better. I refer to it as "slabbing" rather than dabbing. The atomizer is on a 26650 mech😉 if any body wants more info I'll gladly share my wealth of knowledge.

Attached Files:

5. I definitely prefer my domeless quartz bucket. Keep in mind a quartz bucket doesn't hold a lot of heat so doing big old fat dabs on it is a bit impractical but smaller ones about the size of a drop of water it does fantastically plus it heats up in less than a minute unlike Ti or large ceramic nails. And it's better to do a series of smaller dabs than a big giant one in terms of efficiency and how much THC you absorb.

6. In theory Quartz retains heat longer than TI does.

No Quartz or TI nail should have to be heated for a minute that's quite a bit of heat.

And OP you can get a nail that fits the joint on your cup. Quarts, TI and ceramic all come in variations to fit any joint now a days.

My recommendation is if you don't want get adapters get a Quartz nail. It will save your joints life. Unless you get the infinity ;)

7. Quartz as a material may retain heat but it's the thin wall bucket design that loses heat very rapidly.

A bucket design doesn't retain heat. The small mass of the thin walls means it'll get red hot fast but cool to undabble temps in 30 seconds, and depending on how strong your torch is, a titanium nail can take upwards of a minute to heat whereas the quartz buckets can heat in 10 seconds if you're in a rush. It's also why some buckets use a swing design to swing the bucket into a heat retaining cup.

As for heating it red hot. I always heat mine red hot to ensure it's completely clean of residual heavy oils from previous dabs.

8. They aren't being swung into a "heat retaining cup" it's just the design.

But yes your right, the thin walls don't allow for great heat retention.

Unless your using a pocket lighter, it should never take longer than 30 secs to heat up a TI nail

My quave banger retains heat much better than my omni nail

9. the actual "bucket" on a normal swing and bucket (lets use an MS for example) is not for heat retention, it acts as a dome to get all ur vapor.

10. was lookin at omni nails, how do you like yours? Is it true theyre made by the people at Santa Cruz Shredder? Does the errl actually stay in the center cup? Thanks brotha

11. Thats why if you buy a banger you get a quave with its quality welds and thick cup walls

12. Omni nails are pretty dope, some people have said the tops can pop off at times but never had a problem.

To answer your question, the dab stays in the middle but it also doesn't matter if you accidentally drop it on the sides. I have the 10/14 and it retains heat well enough to take a .10 no problem

13. I can't believe you guys are still torching nails. Glass,Quartz,titanium,Chinese steel, who gives a shit. if you ain't using a battery to dab u might as well be riding a horse to work.

14. go home

15. dont waste money on one of those small butane torches either. just get a bigger propane one if you decide on a ti nail. anythign else the propane might be too hot for it....but i hate my butane torch, i mean its a great torch. a newport...just needs to be refilled all the time. pain in the ass and is slower to heat the nail

16. #16 Wattkins, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    I guess u posers don't even have jobs.... U idiots prolly shouldn't be dabbing to begin with especially who ever said I'm new to dabs(wtf) but in couple years you guys will get with times maybe? Until then torch that shit lol. Oh btw here's a newbie dab coil if anyone on the webernet wants to dab with out feeling like a cluck. image.jpg

17. Lol a pen will never compare to a rig in anyway. It doesn't taste as good and doesn't get you high. I will stick with my enail or banger and torch.

18. You're the idiot...