Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Apartment neighbors smell weed through the vent

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by drawesome, Mar 7, 2015.

1. hey,

the room above me says the smell of weed is coming out their vent. they also told me the smell goes to the front of the building.

I can't open my window when I toke bc it's freezing outside and I have this insulation for it.

I keep a fan going & burn incense sometimes. I want to do something to the vent to try to prevent the smell from spreading. what would help?

Also, is there anything I can do to the door to keep it from spreading?

any other tips that would help me keep the smell to my room would be greatly appreciated!

2. You can't. That's how buildings work. If it's not going outside, its' getting into vents, nooks and crannies in the building. I've lived in apartments where whenever anyone cooked something with  a strong smell it would smell in my place too. I had a downstairs neighbor that would go smoke in his bathroom and my apartment wouldn't get smoke but the whole place would smell like skunk. You need to man up and step outside into the shivery, cold weather.

3. Close all your vents. Smoke and febreeze like a Mofo after each toke. Keep the candle/ strong incense just in case. I have the same problem in my house, if I leave my bowl partially burnt out as soon as you walk in it smells like a grow op haha. Cheers

-Appreciate what you got cause one day it can all be gone-

4. If you dont care about a super chemically kinda dryer sheet smell check out ozium spray or you could look into ona odor block people use it instead of carbon filters for small 1-2 plant grows but if you have it next to you tokin you might have solved your problem... unfortunatly theres not really any way to judge if the neibors can smell anything. i suppose you could potentially create a smoke room in your house carbon filter over the vents seal the door and create a carbon filter fan setup to blow into another room... good luck :smoking:

5. #5 The real spliff shady, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    I disagree just get a smoke buddy and if you want to know how to use it perfectly check chubs' review on it on marijuana boot camp. It's only 20 bucks. I would also get incense oils my dealer used to use those in his apartment and he used to smoke and had pounds upon pounds of the dankiest dank in ontario. When I would come over and he didn't have incense going I would get soo happy as soon as I get in the hall of his level lol the whole hall would smell like fresh unburnt weed and he kept his weed in those air tight food storage bag too haha that shyt was dank. I'm medical now so I lost his number, but he was the best he would even use the air tight food sealer machine when chopping me half o's n o's he was really just doing me a favour as a friend even Chopin that shyt to me. He used to chop tens of pounds at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Really depends on how you're smoking. Might have to put the joints out and the bong/pipe away and invest in a little vaporizer if you don't have one. My boyfriend has a magic flight box and it is super convienent, gets you much higher, simple, and most importantly, doesn't smell anything like mary jane. There are some really cheap vape pens too just ask your heady shop for something that you can put tobacco or "solids" in. You can take all these precautions/work your ass off to make sure the smell is enclosed in your apt. But it's just going to be stressful every time you light up if you're hitting a pipe and smoking up the whole place. minimizing the smoke to an absolute minimum is the epitome of smoking on the sly.

7. #7 invinciblejets, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    My neighbor has learned to just fucking live with it lol

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Grasscity Forum..💨⛽️

8. Vaporizer and smoke buddy I got through college without my roommate noticing except once cause he came into my room at night to get something. It won't even smell that much in your house like u won't notice it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. 1. don't smoke joints or blunts anything that has runoff idle smoke
    2. after you inhale your hit exhale into a sploof.
    3. spray ozium afterwards or if any smoke comes from the bong bowl or what have you spray, where it goes.

you're golden it is that simple.

Sent from my intergalactic spaceship

10. Attempting to eliminate the smell is always more effective than attempting to cover up the smell. Even good smelling incense still attaches smoke particles to everything. Also, people that don't have a lot of experience often associate the smell of incense with the smell of weed. Have you considered a good table top vaporizer? They are extremely discreet. 

11. That sad part is people actually pay $20 for something they could create whilst shitting.. effortless and free

12. Smoke buddy is much more effective than a homemade sploof..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. That seems a little inaccurate. Isn't the smoke buddy simply a few carbon filters? You can buy activated carbon for cheap and create a sploof that does EXACTLY the same thing. A smoke buddy is about $20 bucks. You know how much activated carbon you can get for $20 bucks. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but what makes the smoke buddy better?

14. He said it as if a properly working sploof required no effort, and was free. As you said you need to go by activated carbon to make one that works.
    The smoke buddy releases no smoke whatsoever, or smell, if you blow your whole hit into it.
    $20 well spent in my opinion.

15. Who cares about having to buy activated carbon? You have to go buy a smoke buddy too. I'm thrifty though. I think that's were we disagree. Even though I have $20 to spend, I feel like someone is getting one over on me if I can make the same thing many times over for a cheaper price. I see your point though. Different strokes. 

16. Yeah I see your point as well. I could make my own and save a few bucks probably. Not worth it imo.
    I make my own things if I'm saving more than a few dollars though.

17. see one thing I never understand about ventilation is that when people say they exhaling weed smoke into a bathroom exhaust fan and it spread to the rest of the house...so your exhaust fan spreads the smell of shit throughout the house too?

also I live in an apartment/dorm complex with connected vents and I use incense and smoke all the time, smell has never leaked into other rooms or other apartments, but when my roomie makes bacon I can smell that shit clear as day in my bedroom

btw don't be naïve, vapes do still produce a distinct weed smell, not like combustion but still smells like weed, people don't realize it cause they are sitting where they are smoking so it appears to be no smell, only person ik who got popped in college smoke was using an mflb without spraying or sploofing

if you only do 4 hits a session like myself, a sploof and ozium/incense is all you need, also never do papers inside

18. I say save your money and get the desktop vaporizer. I use the Vapir Rise and it is fantastic if anything you smell pine and citrus more than the charachteristic skunk smell.

In fact last night I got so baked I just fell asleep in my clothes and woke up and rolled into work. Everyone knows I smoke and no one in the company cares, but when I tell them that I smoked so much, about 250 mg's of dabs and an 1/8 of bud in a vaporizer, that I got knocked out they were more interested in how my clothes can still smell so fresh.

I tell them vaping and dabbing and you don't have to worry about smell. All I do is light a scented candle to just make it smell a little more pleasant.

19. In a home, exhaust fans are typically vented outdoors in the same manner that a dryer would be vented. For instance, in my home the fans are vented through the attic and out of the house. Also, in my opinion, vapes produce more of a burnt popcorn smell. What do I care though? I don't have to hide shit!  :hello:

20. Put a few odor eaters in the vent (like the ones you clip in your car) maybe cover the vent with laundry sheets.