Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed in Freezing Temperatures

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by BakedSnarf, Mar 6, 2015.

1. So last night I left a half O (14g) in my car in below 0 temperatures (-20C/-4F). I'm just looking for any information on whether or not this has damaged the weed, particularly if I'm looking to make edibles with this batch. 

Upon getting the weed from my car this morning I realized it was very crunchy and cold (obviously), so I've since put it in a dark box in a room temperature setting. 

2. it'll be fine.. just dried out some.

3. Your bud will be more "kiefy" when you break it up I'm sure those tempatures caused a lot of the Chrystal's to be super brittle or have already fallen off, cheers!

-Appreciate what you got cause one day it can all be gone-

4. It is common practice to freeze weed before shaking the kief off. Like what was said you'll be fine as long as it's thawed out and importantly redried. Condensed moisture might cause mold if sealed up.

5. i leave weed in my car all the time at work....it is annoying though cause of the keif lol...i treat it like a bomb, i sooo carefully open my bag, unravel it, carefully try to grab the small stem on that juicy bud you want to smoke. but grab it gently so you dont lose your kief....then just JAM IT IN the bowl. best thing about frozen weed besides the tedious part is that no need to break it up, it basicly shatters into dust when you push it in the bowl.....then you power hit that shit with 3 hits, go back to work. 

6. The weed will be fine if you follow what the other members said. Freezing temperatures will cause trichomes to fall off or burst, which can effectively lower the potency of your weed. Just be careful with it so not too many trichomes fall off.

It won't matter at all if all you are doing is making edibles. Don't store your weed in below freezing temperatures if it can be avoided. Mason jar in a cool, dark area ftw.

7. If you are cooking with it then that's a good thing you left it in the car, it will make it easier to break the bud up

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I remember how when I first obtained a decent amount of good bud/shrooms I too was all about how do I store it, reading stories and opinions how air/temperature/time will destroy the potency etc etc. These days not having any real bud or hash I'm getting high of the black residue from the pipe that I kept on my balcony for 4-5 years with temps ranging 35c in summer to -30c in winter. And it still gets me high as fuck. Now I only smoke once a week max so my tolerance is low still all this experience led me to conclude thc is not that easily destroyed.

9. Your smoking resin/tar bro, tempatures won't effect that, The trichs them selves are effect by tempature and break easily especially when cold. Cheers

Well the trich can break but does that mean thc is gone? If you mean trich will break and shed of the bud then a ball of hash will surely do better.

11. No i mean it falls off the bud, and hash is just a concentration of tric heads. Cheers

So the thc itself won't be destroyed then, and the fallen trichs you can make into hash anyway

13. Correct, water hash is extracted via Ice freezing off the trichromes. Also people dry sift with cold bud on a screen. Cheers

14. Since you're making edibles anyway, I'd run it through a kief catcher first and just use the ground up flower for eddies and smoke the kief

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

You know what's funny to me is when you first replied to me I thought this was part of your reply - I actually thought you were making a comment on how you may one day find yourself without a bud having to resort to smoking a resin like my sorry ass :D  Only later seeing it appear in your other posts I realized it's your sig