First time hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by davinci123, Mar 5, 2015.

I recommend you buy everything you need and get it up and running before starting any seeds

Direct from China about £5 including delivery, but buying locally will be a few bucks on top.

2. Yes, but the successful noobs buy a book or two and read before jumping into the deep end

You might check out the Hydro forum here. I put up a DIY Mini-Me F & D several months ago

I have grown with a simple bubble bucket as well, but it's hard to know when to add more water/nutes, or clean, or dump and replace with fresh nutes

3. I would have bought a book but I think by experience teaches better besides you and everyone else helping me out is all the same stuff the book would have told me so I'll jus take all ur guy's advice and save my money for the rest of what I need to get started

4. #44 zeroshawdow, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    I cannot read a book I just simply can't, I need to do it myself and learn in the process , however what is being said in the thread is completely accurate. before you complicate yourself with nutrients and stuff make sure that you have good exhaust, because if you don't keep to temperature on the rez or bucket at the proper range, doesn't matter how much money you put into your setup is bound to fail

As far as nutrients, all the companies mention in these forums they work as advertised they will do the job at the end of the day will be a matter of choice, why? because I can recommend you what I've been using for the past 4 years but you will go with whatever catch your attention, it could be the label, the name, etc.

As far as ph, it's true those meters will save your life plants. However, I stop using mine while ago. I used nutrients with ph already balanced.

5. I think that's wat I'm gna do only I need nutrients I have these miracle grow spikes that I was putting in water letting nutrients poor out then cleaning the water with coffee filter but I definitely want to do it right so I'm gna get some proper nutrients u say u been using yours for four years I think I will have to try them wat are they?

6. The company its called Advanced Nutrients. It's one of the most hated companies in the scene, most people here are going to tell you that there just a hype and full of it. However I've been using their product for 4 years non stop.

Their nutrients are already PH ready. No need to adjust.

This is what I have use with success: Sensi Bloom a&B, Bud Candy, Big Bud and Overdrive.

In addition I use:

Cal-Max from Grotek
    Technaflora Seaweed
    Pro-Tek from DynaGrow
    Hydro guard from Botanicare

How's your exhaust and temperature?

7. Never heard of exhaust? and I my temp is like 75 ish I don't have any thermometer in my box but plz let me know every little thing helps I basically started rebuilding my box since the day I started so I'm bout to look up those nutrients now can I see ur plant? I'd like to see what a proper setup can accomplish with everything in order

8. Exhaust, where your hot air will be out. You need to let cold air in and hot air out. As far as pictures, I don't post pictures anymore due to a Ex-wife. Security reasons with her.

I do have previous journals from previous grow in here. Search under my profile.

Please do not use the spikes if your going Hydro.

Get yourself a thermometer to monitor the temp of your Rez. That would my first priority, specially if this is your first Hydro. Hydro could be brutal to a grower feelings and morale. Lol, took my quite a while to understand the basics

9. What's a good wat to get my air to flow through my box?

10. #50 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
    pressure, they preach negative pressure because the heat moves better when the walls of your tent are slightly sucked in. When i downsized my passive intake the air had to move faster through the small hole. VELOCITY is the key to cool anything. 

hydro mistake 1. overfilling the rez. dont let the roots touch the water UNTIL THEY GROW INTO IT. There qill be plenty of splashing going on in there for the existing roots

mistake 2. putting a whole frozen water bottle in there...only use 1/2 bottle water
    mistake 3. starting soil then dropping a confused plant into the water
    mistake 4. using really poor nutes
    mistake 5. not having a decent PPM meter ( i just guess)
    mistake 6. using too much light LOL ( get same growth 3/4 light )
     i can post a pic of my easy bake oven

heres a drawwwing, do one yourself and post it here that tells me u understand the process

drysemi wet area.jpg

11. I changed my grow container and medium its the clay pellets but i put perlite on the top to reflect more light I used the spike nutrients and filtered then set my pH... Only gna grow one at a time till I get everything else I need but for now this should do...

Attached Files:

12. #52 CodeName47, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    Man, you changed some stuff but you're still going to have some serious issues if those plants even make it very long. Honestly there is so much wrong here that it makes me question how much research you really have done. That airline for one is clear and is going to let light down into your reservoir subsequently growing yourself a nice brew of algae. 

My best bit of advice is if you're going to do something, do it right. I'm sure everyone wants to see a fellow grower succeed but you need to do a lot of reading, and a lot of planning.

It couldn't hurt to shell out a little bit of cash to get some proper gear. I would lose the perlite if nothing else, perlite is very good at retaining water and you could get humidity problems at the least (you don't need to retain water in the netcup the bubbles from airpump is enough). Next time drill holes in the side of your res instead of cutting the top for your airline.  Also is that aluminum foil on your walls? You're better off getting a cheap can of flat white paint than foil. 

If you only have a really limited space and can't get more space to grow in you should look up some stealth micro grows and PC case grows some of those guys are accomplishing some great things. 

13. Yea really the main thing i wanna do is get nutrients and like u said some wall paint I know aluminum foil isn't good at all but at the moment I honestly don't have the money but I wanna get wall paint my air line if anything I'll cover with black electrical tape to keep the light out not really a big deal right now I'm mostly just worried bout my nutrients also I'm gna get rid of the perlite like u recommend do u think white paper will be better till I get paint??

14. #54 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 16, 2015
    wait is that a new seed? or old plant buried deep in there

killer man, u just came out of left field. LOWER the water level its irrelevent right now. you have no roots because of all the transplanting but you can still save if you follow this very closely. get an eye dropper bottle or syringe and GIVE IT 5 drops TWICE A DAY, thats it NO NUTES. Do that for a week and some roots may poke out the bottom.

For the next seed. germinate in a jiffy pot then drop it in the rocks. the jiffy will eventually disolve and ur left with happier plant

15. Foil absorbs heat thats why i recommend changing; Paper absorbs light so it's not going to be better and it only reflects certain color of the light spectrum.

I hear ya on the cash thing I saved up for my grow for quite a while before jumpin in. I agree with the other posts about growing in soil if you are strapped for cash, it would be lighter on the wallet. You could grow small plants in soil given your space confinements.

16. So I should put pH water with no nutes? And its about a week old but it has always been in hydro never soil to hydro

17. #57 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 16, 2015
    is this plant the same plant from earlier?

and yes always ph DOWN tap water..6.0-6.5 is fine for right now

If you dont have a pH ( i just got one like 2 days ago) meter follow the directions on the pH down precisly..

I.E. Measure a gallon.....only put 1/4 teaspoon per 0.5 decrease. In your case u have like a half gallon maybe less so put in 1/2 teaspoon of pH down.

18. Oh no I sadly destroyed and restarted with a seedling I had growing while my net pots and pH adjuster kit and clay pellets were on their way from amazon

19. #59 smokeymcdoodles, Mar 16, 2015
    AWESOME good job, just start over its ok. still i recomend giving her the drops but add a few nutes. what kind of nutrients do you have 

If you dont have nutes i have a way out. 

20. hey and dont worry about the airline...I think he means when you run water through the clear tubing or white tubing will it start to grow algae...iv never heard of light traveling into the rez....my rezs have been clear LOL

Did you drop the water level?