First time hydro

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by davinci123, Mar 5, 2015.

1. That's not true. This here is 4 weeks old under 3 17w flouros.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1426016460.245054.jpg

2. This is my plant now since I posted the first still very small but I can say it has gotten a little bigger jus wish I could get it to a way better size

Attached Files:

3. I want to change everything to make it bro better the only thing I won't be able to change is the cup and stones I have it in because of how the roots are intwined with the wick but I bought a air pump how do I know if I have to much nutrients or pH what is ph?

4. I hate to say it, but the items you can't change are the problem.

Get some 2'' net cups, starter plugs, and and some clay pebbles for next time and you'll do just fine. The styrofoam cups will limit how the roots can grow, and those stones aren't allowing for enough space for roots to make their way through the spaces between them.

This was grown in a small bubble bucket with a 13w desk lamp above it:

[​IMG]
    Less light than you are using, but the growing container and medium are appropriate. Once you get your immediate problem solved, upping your wattage will help you produce a viable harvest.

5. I bought some perlite would that be OK also I can't find any net pots at and home depot or Lowes or Walmart where's a good place to get them

6. Also when I using net pots will I still have to provide a wick? I don't have a spray system just an air stone

7. #27 100781, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  8. So after changing my plant from rocks to perlite i can say its has done so much better jus over night still not really sure what pH is I'm thinking of leaving it like this till my next go not sure yet wat would u do?

Attached Files:

9. I would read the Bubble Bucket method tutorial sticky at the top of this forum. That styrofoam cup isn't going to do you any good.

10. So really my main problem is my cup its planted in? Should I jus cut down and re grow when I get net pots and clay pellets?

11. If I was in your shoes this is what I would do. I would transplant it into a larger container 1-3 gallon with some type of organic soil. Solid black or any other color thats doesnt allow light through. If you want to stick with hydro you'll need a couple hundred dollarsto invest into equipment. Also a good couple days of your time to properly research how to properly run a hydro system. Soil is simple. I would stick with it for now.

12. I just bought these three items they are on their way as I type ha I'm gna cut down and restart the day they get here I'm very thankful for all the advice I'm not gna use a wick all the tutorials I see have the net pot in the water so let me know if u think is wrong

Attached Files:

13. I aslo don't have a water pump only air will that be OK

14. #34 lordbuttcrack, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
    you dont need a water pump for dwc. Is that air pump in the pic the one u have? If so ur gonna need one abit stronger. since ull be starting from seed you will have two or 3 weeks maybe before the roots reach the water so ull have to hand water for now. Also make sure by that time u have ur nutrients, a ppm pen and also stronger lights. But most of all keep doing more research. That little air pump will do for now but definately get one stronger. you can never have too much air.

What you need for DWC...

Water proof and light proof container with lid.
    Net pot.
    Clay balls.
    Air pump that puts out 1 litre per minute of air for every 2 litres of nutrient solution.
    Air stones and air lines to match your pumps output.
    Proper hydro nutrients.
    Ph down.
    Ph up.
    EC or ppm meter (£5 Chinese ones are perfectly fine) 
    Ph meter (same as above) 

16. What are some good nutrients??

17. Do u think with the equipment I'm waiting for I will at least be able to start? And is it bad to fully submerge the seeds in the water with the net pots and the air pump?

18. Im also on my first grow so i cant give that much advise on nutrients, i use the general hydroponics flora series though. Ull be able to germinate ur seed and and plant it ull have till ur seedling develops proper roots until u need ur nuTrients. once u have proper roots u need everything goldgrower listed.

19. How much are ppm meters?

20. I use a 15 dollar hm ppm meter, it works fine for me.