co2 generators propane

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by massive dynamic, Mar 4, 2015.

1. #1 massive dynamic, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
    I have tried a number of diy co2 generator methods but can't really be sure any of them have given me the 1500ppm advantage because I don't yet own an atmospheric co2 meter. I'm guessing that my most recent diy method (citric acid bottle A + baking soda bottle B @ 2kg/㎠ pressure) may have increased the ppm in my 4'x5'x2' grow tent by a couple hundred ppm. Maybe it mad a difference and maybe it didn't. But I want to see what I can get done with an optimized co2 ppm of 1500. So, I have read about every method of creating co2 for you atmosphere that I could find and have tried a few of them. I have used yeast bottles, myco bags, co2 buckets, green pads, and dry ice. I doubt that any of these methods have truly optimized co2 levels in my grow room. So, now it down to one of the two methods that I should have gone with from the start. CO2 tanks or propane generator. Its a little cheaper to get started with the co2 tanks but from what I have read @
    https://www.hydroponics.net/learn/co2_calculator.asp
    it looks like  a 20lb co2 tank will only last 1/3rd as long as a 5 gallon propane tank. And you can get propane at any gas station but co2 refills aren't quite as simple. But here is what I don't get about the propane generators; they are basically these wooden housings with from 2 to 8 propane burners inside them. How are they different from regular old propane burners that you can buy for $30 at walmart. Can I get the same beneficial co2 production by using a camping stove instead of an expensive co2 genny?

co2 gen compare.jpg
    <script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/bd6f03b0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"> </script>

2. Seems legit. You r just going to have open fire on your hands. Also there are modules in the burners to run 10 sec on 90 sec off, so you see some of a difference.

I use propane and I like it alot better and it's cheaper.

3. I pretty much came to the same conclusion. Your paying for the programmed start & stop. Unlike your HID lights, you can't just plug a propane burner into a 24/7 plant timer. But I still think the propane based generators are about a $100 more expensive than they should be. But I agree, propane seems to be the logical choice. One thing I have had difficulty with is finding a definitive co2 calculator which calculates exactly how much co2 flow is needed per cubic foot of grow room space. I have been to a number of co2 calc sites and they don't seem to agree on the numbers. Not huge discrepancies but enough of a difference that I think the added accessory of a co2 meter becomes necessary unless you really know your stuff.
    My setup:
    • I'm currently using a grow room which is 2'x4'x5' (40 cubic feet) Any one have any suggestions for this size room assuming duct fans off during day.
    • I'm also planning on adding a 4'x8'x7' room in the near future. Any thoughts about a routine for that sized room would be appreciated as well.

4. After over a year of organic chemistry I can tell you a whole ton of shit makes CO2 as a byproduct. My suggestion is combustion though. Cuz fire is cool

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Please for safety's sake get the generator over any kind of open flame like camp stove it only takes 1 slip up to ruin lives. We wanna hear success stories not horror. Happy growing

6. I'm sure I'll end up getting one of the 2 or 4 burner propane generators for the sake of being able to program it to a specific flow rate and on/off schedule. 

Jras-
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the propane co2 generators are "open flame" in the same way that any propane burning grill would be. The only difference, structurally speaking, is the housing that surrounds the burners on the co2 generator

7. Yea they are a open flame but controlled inside the unit as where camp stove is straight up open/exposed flame which is too dangerous. I'm only concerned with safety is all.

G

8. didn't read all, but you're gonna go with co2 generators but won't cough up the cash for a co2 meter? be warned co2 can be a big hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

At some point I'll certainly get a co2 monitor, but they are expensive. I'm looking at minimum $250 for a propane generator (please point out a cheaper one if you know of one) $50 for propane tank and fillup, $100 for co2 monitor 
    total= $400 
    or
    $100 for a 20lb co2 tank, $40 for co2 regulator, $40 to fill the tank(round here anyways) and $100 for co2 meter
    total= $280 _ but from what I have read, that 20lb co2 tank will need to be filled about 3 times as often as a 5 gallon propane tank. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this also)
    View attachment 153531

10. #10 FauxRoux, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    I have used co2 for years with a ppm climate controller. First with a burner then a tank. First off simply standing in your room and breathing will take the ppm from an ambiant 400-500ppm (depending on how polluted your area is. City vs country, etc, etc) and will raise it to 1200-1500ppm over about 15 min with no fans on.

Personally I believe that's a big part of why attentive growers do so much better then folks with equally well built but more automated systems. Time spent adds significant co2.

Second the previously mentioned fire risk is real. The other thing no one mentioned yet is the added heat from burners which in my opinion is just as big of a problem.

Some Chinese companies have been making cheap(er) co2 warning devices which are not unlike fire or monoxide detectors. These have become mandatory in many labs and commercial buildings as a safety precaution, my old lab had 1. They are not controllers but do measure ambiant ppm with a beeping alarm when they pass safe levels...( don't worry that's MUCH higher then we are shooting for...unsafe is around 2500-3000ppm if memory serves.. You would get a pretty mean headache before then)

I would go for a tank first and just do the math for your square foot space if you really want co2. But if your just using a tent or something similar I'm not sure if it will be worth the investment. My setup has used one 20lb tank for 3 rounds now. But my room is near completely sealed and I dole out co2 at specific intervals. I only push co2 hard for veg and the beginning weeks of flower when its needed most.

If in a non-sealed environment a co2 ppm controller might be worse then simply doing the math and adding co2 manually as the controller will continue pumping to reach pre set levels while the co2 simply bleeds out through the gaps in tents/ under doors etc,etc,....I've seen tanks empty over night that way...pricey

11. dont go big...get a few puny torches and set them in the factory stand. if they fall over( they will cause its the factory stand) they go out. if they fall over the air fuel mix is wrong and they go out...theres a lot more risk driving to fill up a c02 tank

12. #12 smokeymcdoodles, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
    wait did anyone ask the only experienced person here y he switched from burners to tanks
    o ye the heat I ran into that problem also some time ago....back then I ran the co2 with the lights off Smokey is my name lol