In life there is always 2

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ColoradoToking, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Aztec philosophy is based on this duality of life, in which life is a narrow and crumbly path one must walk through till the end, balancing from side to side of this path in order to not fall off. This "side to side" is good/evil, life/death, mind/body

2. Basic binary. Upgrade your brain to quadratic understanding. And, pineapples 😯

3. 2 fingers if you're chuckie from from sons of anarchy

4. #24 Deleted member 281310, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    2 girls

but only 1 cup

5. Counting the hits and ignoring the misses. In life, there often isn't two. You are counting the examples that seem to support your claim and ignoring the examples that don't. 

6. Living your life from this viewpoint is dangerous and allows your brain to create opposites that don't even exist.

Unless you're Mormon.

8. One of my more crackpot (and by that I mean not really reasoned in anything other than anecdotes) theories is that the most fundamental questions end in dichotomy.

9. I think I might agree, would you expound on what you mean though?

Like, existence... it's either non existence or existence. (Life vs Death)
    Universe was created or existed
    God exists are doesn't exist
    Good vs Evil

There's a number more that I can't pull out off the top of my head, but it's something I've noticed over the years.

11. Interesting, i would certainly agree. Its my philosophical belief that existence is the seperation of dichotomies. Furthermore, dichotomies are 'contained' in what i call undifferentiated potential, a state of contradictions.

12. #34 Dryice, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015

What happens when you differentiate with respect to potential? Also, if you integrate the differentiated potential do you return back to undifferentiated potential? [​IMG]

I think by the nature of dichotomies one tends to contradict the other (particularly in discussions like these), but I don't think that's always the case (maybe it is, idk).

13. When you differentiate the potential you have actualized, thus seperating the non-existence and existence of X.

I always use the analogy of a wave, it seems quite befitting and useful to conceptualize.

Take a 100hz sine wave, you can hear it because its differentiated (actualized). Take another 100hz sine wave of opposite polarity and you have two opposites, which together, returns to undifferentiated potential. Take any one of the waves away and you automatically actualize the other.
    Here is a visual

Attached Files:

14. #36 Dryice, May 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2015

So destructive interference to you = 'actualizing' something. The problem I have with that is it's just called destructive interference and doesn't need to be called anything else. Unless I'm missing your point.

edit: removed edit: you had it right all along, thought you said sine and cosine.

So for the case of constructive interference what is that to you in your jargon? Hyper actualization? :laughing: :p

15. No the opposite i think. Destructive interference (never heard that term) takes two opposing actualized things and combines them to create nothing, or rather unactualize them, returning them to potential.

So anything that exists is actual. Your car exists because its opposition doesnt at the same place at the same time. When you drive you are actualizing the potential for your car to exist in the direction of travel. Just make sure you dont actualize the potential for your car to exist in the ditch ;-)

16. I will go read what constructive interference specifically means and let ya know! Im not claiming what i am claiming is absolute or even encompassing, just a tentative exploration of metaphysics ideas i suppose.

17. Lol i wouldnt call it hyper actualization. Just an amplification of what is already actual.

Is there something that doesn't have an opposite?