After 12/12 when do I HAVE to switch to hps?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Kush Monkey, Mar 3, 2015.

1. #1 Kush Monkey, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
    I have 4 ladies 9 days into 12/12. Under a split lighted 4X4 tent. I have a 4 tube 4' flourescent and 1 little 175 watt MH. How long can I milk my lighting till I have to switch it over to my 600 watt HPS? On my last grow I switched the light and the timers at the same time. Now I'm trying to save alittle before I turn on the big light.

2. I would have switched when u put them into 12/12. I'm sure u know the HPS has red spectrum, which is beneficial to flowering, whereas fluorescent and MH emit more blue, which is more for veg growth. I've seen people use a MH near the very end of flower as a "finishing bulb"....but I really don't have any personal experience with that. Really, u COULD even use all 3....if u aren't getting enough coverage with just the HPS. However, if u do this, make sure ur rotating ur plants around so they can each get access to the different bulbs' spectrums.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Good info I appreciate all responses. I have switched out the lights. Hopefully by end of april/first of may I'll have good reports!

4. I wait around a week when they actually start flower to help minimize stretch

5. Made this mistake with different lighting. Was using a t5 ho system. Then when i switched to flower added a pretty powerful led. This made it stretch a lot.

Let's Smoke About It.....
    - Adam Demamp

Organic Grow Journal
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1357687-Sade's-Solar-Adventures

6. #6 Kush Monkey, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    I noticed more stretch with my HO flourescent than I have with 600 watt HPS. My energy savings was more about my wife saying stuff about electric bill. As we all know if momma ain't happy nobody is happy!

7. #7 TinTizzy, Mar 5, 2015
    I use a 600w mh so that might make a difference

8. #8 Kush Monkey, Mar 5, 2015
    Definitely less stretch with a 600 watt MH. I think my HO is putting out 54watts per bulb so that's like 216 watts. I'm thinking on my next grow I'm going to leave the big boy in the tent and do the same. I have a dimmable ballist so not sure what watt I'll go with. But its def better output and also the stronger light will penetrait thru more foliage. With the idea of doing 24 or 18/6 on/off I really like the flourescent though.