Cheap alternative to bong/pipe cleaner

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by HalfLeaf, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Hey GC!

I want to suggest something while at the same time asking if you guys think it's a good idea.

For the past year or so I've been using discount nail polish remover to clean my glass pieces and so far it's worked great! The only thing it doesn't remove is built up limescale, but it cuts through resin/built up tar like a hot knife through butter!

Best part is it's really cheap and it works very well, if my downstem is dirty instead of having to soak it I just put some nail polish remover on a tissue and wipe it off! Rinse with water and you're done.

What has me wondering though is the chemicals. There's two varieties available here, with and without acetone. When I cleaned my piece and rinsed it with water plenty of times, the slightest chemical smell remains in the piece, but I have the same with bong cleaner...

So all in all, do you think this could cause any harmful side effects? If not, perhaps give this a try! I know how expensive bong cleaner is when compared to these cheap nail removal products, and from experience I found out that they actually work BETTER, so if it can save you some money to spend on danker bud, why not :p

2. #2 unitz, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    buy some iso and mortons salt and that'll do it

3. Yup isopropyl alcohol and normal table salt gets the job done every time

4. Maybe I should have mentioned that I know of the salt and alcohol method but I found that (where I live at least) it's cheaper to get the nail product AND it's faster. 

I used to clean my piece the old fashioned way as suggested, filling them up with alcohol and salt, then shake like a crazy bastard, but with the polish remover it's 10 times faster, it also contains alcohol which I think works together with the other chemicals in order to dissolve the tar really fast.

Usually I give my pieces another rinse with alcohol AFTER the nail polish remover (to make sure all chemicals are gone), but I ran out of alcohol and the most accessible way to get pure ISO around here is to buy those small bottles to disinfect wounds with, which becomes expensive for cleaning my big piece.. And they're not even that pure (maybe that's why this technique is not that effective for me)

5. for those pieces that look like a gas station bathroom...CLR, i shit you not.  :metal:

6. Like they say, get isopropyl alcohol (90% or greater) and some salt (any will do) and you'll have clean glass.

7. I've never used acetone myself. Too much of the smell grosses me out, using it in pieces just sounds unappealing. I wouldn't imagine it would have any toxic effects though. Just make sure you rinse very well. I've always had good luck with Simple Green, or trusty old salt and isopropanol. But yeah, store bought bong cleaning products are going to be overpriced as fuck. Many of them are just salt and iso anyhow.