NEED HELP FINDING A LED GROW LIGHT

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DrOctogonaPussy, Mar 1, 2015.

1. #1 DrOctogonaPussy, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    So i've spent endless hours attempting to educate myself on the topic in order to make a decision on lighting and can't seem to solve my problem. My hope is that someone out there has the knowledge and experience to help me find what I'm looking for!

I'm starting a PC grow this summer. It's going to be my 2nd grow; I used CFL's for my first grow. It's more for fun than for getting big yields, but I still want to be growing the highest quality bud i can afford to grow. Since it's a PC grow I have decided on using LED's for the dense and quality buds that they tend to produce while keeping space and heat to a minimum.

Here are my conditions to meet:

Dimensions of PC Case: 18"(H)x18"(W)x8"(D)

Price Limit: $150     If it is absolutely necessary, I can maybe add up to an extra $100 to that, but really prefer staying under $150.

Plants: I have not decided on the amount of plants to use. I'm thinking that I would rather use extensive LST on one high-yielding plant rather than putting a simple 90 degree bend in the main stem of 2 smaller sized plants. Any tips or opinions on this is much appreciated! I'm still new to all this and have a ton to learn!

Questions that I have not been able to solve on my own:

A. What amounts of each color should I look for if I plan to use the same light(s) for the entire grow?

B. How many watts/K/wavelength should I look for my specific grow?

C. What is the best LED light setup I can afford with $150? $250??

D. Will LED's burn leaves in such a small setup? 

Thanks in advance for ANY help, it is EXTREMELY appreciated!! 

2. Most led grow lights won't fit inside a pc box

3. Why limit yourself?

Pick a corner of your closet and do a 2 x 2 x whatever height is available

LED options open up in > 2 x 2

4. Most will not, but there are many that will.

5. I'll be living in an apartment. It's not so much about maxing out my yield. Just want to get back into growing for the fun of it and a making a PC grow box setup is a project i've been itching to do for a while. Its safe, small, easy to transport if ever needed, and will all in all be a fun and entertaining project. 

6. Look up mars-hydro or smokesara on here under lighting.

7. #7 Peflora, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015

By the time you add the grow pot and plant stem, there is so little height left to produce any appreciable bud, but if you are determined...

Consider DIY, getting 1-2-3 20w COBs. run them at half power (30w will be a lot in that small space) cut hole in top of case to mount, so heat sinks are external

3 would be best putting a ~ 5000K in the center, flanked by the 2 3000K

edit: Do not attempt to grow sats in short spaces

8. There is a sales rep for a LED company over in china she usually likes and comments on the organic forums but from what I have read shes a dwn to earth chick trying to hook peeps from GC with some LED's on the discount,

9. I am with Peflora on this one. I would just section out a corner in your closet. It's going to bring you more bud, and you're going to have a lot more options as far as lights. Case22 is a badass at making small grow boxes. He just pulled 5 oz from his 2x2 in his closet. 

Here's his link:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-grow-journals/1341415-cases-corner.html

10. #10 bsless, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Any ubiquitous 100x3w from a reputable factory like Cidly, Evergrow, GEHL, LG(Mars) will run u ~$99-129, depending how good of an internet shopper you are.  This will give you ~720-760umol@12", which will get you the density you're looking for but it don't expect it to on par with the premium panels.  Density is directly related to intensity and spectrum so the more intensity, the denser the buds.  The dimensions is ~16 x 9 x 3", well within your requirement. 

I agree with Pet and IH on the 2 x 2, because it will open more lighting options for you.  If you can also double your lighting budget, there's a lot of much better lighting options available, including ones that will fit that box and give u HID density.

You get what you pay for means a lot in this business.

Good luck!  

11. 18" height is just not enough. A 1 gallon pot will shave off 6-7 inches of that, leaving you with 12" for growth and the light. The UFO will maybe shave off another 2-3", leaving you with less 1 ft for growth. And it's going to get crowded in there, even with one plant. With $150, you can get a 300W Mars Hydro Reflector which can fill up a 2'x2' space fairly easily during veg. Or you can get 2 of the original 300W Mars Hydro panels (they run between 80-90 dollars on the bay) for more light intensity for the space. 

If you must grow in a box, I would seriously consider getting a bit more height in there. Also, do consider the electricity costs of growing. I understand you're just in it for the fun of it, but why not maximize that monthly extra in the electric bill too? 

12. #12 HalfAnimal, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015