No one could see the color blue until modern times

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by garrison68, Feb 28, 2015.

2. what color was the sky in ancient times?

3. "There aren't blue animals, blue eyes are rare, and blue flowers are mostly human creations."
    I guess Blue Jays used to be green or some shit huh. 

when were blueberries invented?
    must be a modern fruit..

5. #6 Deleted member 629842, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Look at the beautiful white and gold morpho butterfly 

6. Apparently the ancients didn't see it the way that we do, but the Egyptians apparently were getting there, according to the hypothesis in the article.    

The article is more asking a question than making a statement. It's a question as old as "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around..".. does the mind create color or does color exist outside the mind? It's a philosophical question.. and even if one were to show someone how color vision works, how a blue object reflects back a specific wavelength and that wavelength can only pass through blue pigments inside your blue cone, someone can just say "well, how do you know I don't see red and you see green but we've both been conditioned to call it blue? You can't know.. so therefore I will hold on to my belief that color is only created by the mind.."

It comes down to our cone receptors. If blue cones didn't evolve until more recent times, then there is a good chance they literally couldn't see blue. If they did, then they were able to see blue. The ancient Egyptians did use blue.. so did the Greeks and Romans. Ishtar Gate has a ton of blue in it and is an ancient structure. We were making blue stained glass for over 5,000 years. Thing is.. we used to be limited on words. We reused words with different meaning when used in a different context. The Greeks and Romans had a few different words for blue, that often meant green or black as well.. just depends on the context used. The Romans were aware of the color blue too cause they wrote about how it was the color of Barbarians, who painted their faces blue. Just won't find many (if any) blue objects made by man before the Egyptians because blue pigment wasn't invented until then.

8. #11 Deleted member 629842, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    What about sapphires, did they not have a color?  :hide:

9. They don't know.   The hypothesis is they could not recognize the color blue, it looked like something different.  I think it may be possible that the human brain did not process blue as we do, and saw it as another more familiar color, or just as something that was not categorized with a name. 

10. The confusion here stems from the fact that humans put too much weight into words. Words are nothing, they are but signs you attach. Whether ancient humans were partially colorblind or in case they weren't how come they didn't create a sign with the same significance as 'blue' is an interesting question however it's entirely separate from a metaphysical part of this article.

You either have the experience that you refer to as 'seeing a blue' or you're not. If you do it's completely irrelevant if you have a sign in your mind to attach to it. Whether I saw an Eifel Tower or not is a matter of a factual interest. You can and probably should make an entire article digging up evidence of me ever going to Paris and if I have what are the chnces of me setting a sight on a building etc etc.

However if I did see it but haven't been aware of the name 'Eifel Tower' then if you say - yes you saw it but at the same time you didn't - then you're entering whole other dimension of thought. First if you simultaneously affirm and deny the exact same thing then to me it's just a reflection of a metal confusion you're going through, what you're trying to signify doesn't signify anything. 

Yet with my Eifel Tower example saying 'you saw but at the same time you didn't' might make sense because even though you affirm and deny the same word you may attach a different meaning to it. If by 'seeing an Eifel Tower' you mean simply seeing the thing, which will be a common understanding, then anyone who saw the building, regardless of whether they ever heard a name 'Eifel Tower' or know anything about it's history, will fall under this meaning. However to somebody who have an inseparable association between the building, the name and maybe a rich history surronding it, to such a guy 'seeing an Eifel Tower' will mean not simply seeing a building but seeing it with a mental context which will include a name and perhaps some history too.

Such a guy may say 'yes you saw a building but at the same time you didn't cause you just didn't know WHAT you were looking at' which simply means there's a name, it's history or something else about this building that this guy puts a huge emphasis on. At which point you may say 'just fuck off sir and let me enjoy the sight' and then later you will perhaps inquire about some facts because who knows maybe an asshole was onto something interesting. If however you're mentally weak then saying to you 'you saw it but you don't know what you were seeing' will immediately put you into a confused misery - something major, indeed the only important thing there was, you entirely missed. So it's all about how your mind works not about reality.

It's up to every single human being to decide what's important and what's not in this world. Just cause anicents, if they were seeing colors including blue, never bothered to attach signs to them it doesn't mean 'they didn't know they were seeing them'. If anything they had a superior experience cause while color is beautiful, the signs that will pop in your modern mind immediately upon seeing it are not neccesarily so. Neither the written graphics 'blue' nor the sound resembling a vomiting is really something that gives you an edge over those dumbasses who didn't know shit about seeing a blue. :smoke:

11. I actually learned this in Japanese class.

The use the same word for blue and green.

The only thing that changed was language. We always saw blue

-yuri

12. Ah but they didnt have tbat dress back then lok

13. They just didn't have a word for it for those places they looked into.......Celts had woading and the Mayans smeared themselves and entire parts of their cities in blue dye...

14. ancient artwork makes it pretty clear we could always distinguish blue.

Idk why we didn't have a word for it but I don't think its because we couldn't see it

-yuri

15. It's possible that before their eyes could filter t observe blue, they might of seen a dull grey.

I think I've read that crows love blue colored objects.

16. The color blue has been around for a very very long time. It just was the lack of the ability to make it accurately, well or in volume that was lacking. Had nothing to do with our receptors or brains. Every day virtually on the entire planet most of the week when you look at the sky you see blue.

A brief google search on it shows more then 3000 years ago blue gems were mined in Afghanistan. Blue stones were used in funeral masks, the Egyptian's used blue.

2500BC glass that was blue was being manufactured. The Babylonians glazed blue bricks.

Today humans take everything we have for granted. Nearly everything is disposable and we never think about how its made but many things took big leaps in science, resources, manufacturing to develop. Once the process is done its second nature it ever existed.

A good example are the clothes you wear today. 500 years ago unless you were nobility your clothes were simple you wore them every day..the same set or until they wore out. Now go check your closet and see how many clothes you own. You are literally dressed like the rich of old and do not even realize it.

17. What kind of colored balls did they have in ancient times when man got erection and couldn't release?