Carbon filter advice needed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Greenstarter55, Feb 28, 2015.

1. My grow tent is 2x4x5 and I'm running 400 and a 600 hps. My question is what kind of cfm should I look for ? Is 190 to little?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 killset, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    Are they enclosed hoods or cool tubes? Are they dimmable? I have a 600 watt hid enclosed hood and a 400 watt led w/ a 6" 440 cfm inline fan on a speed controller in a 2x4x5. Your going to need at least that. That's a lot of heat in a small tent. I haven't found any hoods that are small enough to get 2 inside my tent. The smallest I could find were like 17" and with 2 of them plus the duct work its just to tight. I would like to do 2x 250's enclosed hoods, if I could find ones that would fit. I think that would be perfect. I'm not a big fan of cool tubes. 190 cfm would be turning the tent over just under 5x a minute, which is good. But I doubt it will handle a 600 and a 400 at 100% in that tight of quarters.

3. #3 killset, Feb 28, 2015

4. They are air cooled and yes they are both dimmable

5. I'm doing a scrog so I have enough room up top. Just concerned about heat would 190 cfm be to little ?

6. #6 GoldGrower, Feb 28, 2015

Who knows? The cfm rating means nothing unless you are comparing fans with no load. As soon as you put a filter, hoods and ducting on it then a high quality fan will handle load better than a low quality fan.

But.... Expecting just one fan to exhaust the entire tent through a filter and through ducting and two hoods whilst causing a passive intake as well is asking too much. 

I would have a quality 6" fan bringing air into the tent at one end, blowing through the 600, then the 400 and then out the other side of the tent.

Then also have another 6" fan sucking air though the carbon filter and blowing out the tent. With it set up this way you will unlikely need an intake fan as long as you have large enough vents 

7. #7 killset, Feb 28, 2015
    Not sure what you mean your going to scrog so you have enough room to top. You can top without scrogging, but a scrog is the way to go in that size tent for other reasons . Air cooled hoods? Or cool tubes? If hoods can you tell me the brand or where i might be able to pick some up, i would really appreciate it. With the duct work and 2 hoods anything over 14 or 15 inches long is going to be a pain to fit. I scrog too man. 190 isnt going to give you any room to play with, if its even enough at all. Go bigger and get a speed controller or I wouldn't doubt you'll need get rid of 1light and go with a cooler light source for suplimental like led or run what you have dimmed. 1 light doesn't really cut it in that size tent because you can't raise it high enough to get to the ends of the tent. Im just taking a guess, based off what i have in my 2x4x5, but I wouldn't want the bare minimum of 190. I have to stay on top of it with what I have, especially as summer approaches. You'll be producing more heat and if its not vented well enough, you'll have problems.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I mean that the plan is the top foot of my tent is lights ducting etc. The plants will never get that tall. My hoods are a basic ipower batwing hoods. I was thinking of doing a 190 4 in inline for my intake and using a 400 or so 6 in with the carbon filter and exhaust. The 600 will hopefully come in the mail by Tuesday so I won't know my relative temp with both for a couple days. But from what I am reading I'm gonna need to go with an intake fan and not just an exhaust. I just don't want my neighbor hood to know what's going on

9. #9 killset, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    so they're not air cooled then? Air cooled is a sealed hood, bat wings are open faced. Bat wings are going to be harder to controller heat with. 190 definitely won't do it, I'm not sure a 400 will either. Its really going to be tough in that small of a tent with 2 open hooded lights. Going to need a very cool temp outside the tent

10. If they are bat wings and not air cooled its just not going to happen. A 1000watts burning down on an area less than half the size if the standard set up and you only have 5 feet of height. I think running both lights at 400watts would still make it impossible. Are both ballasts dimmable? What wattages to they switch down to?

11. That is gonna be one hot motherfucker. I have a 2x4x5 that I use to veg in and with a 400 watt mh it gets to 90 degrees when I turn off the fans, it's air cooled by the way I use a 440 cfm fan to get it down to 78. So you could use that as a reference

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks everyone everything should be here in the next couple of days so once everything is put together I will have a better idea of if I'm just getting worried for nothing

13. Make sure you set everything up and put your pots with your dirt inside and run your setup so you can have it all figured out before adding in plants, it will make it a lot easier to make adjustments as well as not stressing your plants. After they start growing you may need to make some minor adjustments but it shouldn't be to bad. Good Luck!!! :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
    Most people use 1000watts to cover 25 square-foot and have a height of around 7-8 feet. You have just 5 feet of height and covering an area of 8 square-foot. So no, I don't think you are worried about nothing lol.

Because of the odd shape, having two lights is a good idea but most people would use 2x 250w lights

15. I'm running a 3x3x5 ft tent now with a 400watt hps the new tent is going to be my flower tent and my old one will be my veg tent so I had to get a new light. So I wanted to use both lights this grow to get the max watt per sq ft

16. I already have 4 plants at 2 wks

17. #17 killset, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    There's a point where too much becomes a big problem, and even sometimes wasteful. The 600 alone not being in a closed hood will be difficult in a 2x4. I wouldn't attempt to run my 600 in my 2x4 with out an enclosed hood and I can get the tempt to the room my tent is in to whatever I want. You need too run it for awhile, not just a few minutes and call it good. If you can't handle both lights easily with no plants in the tent, I wouldn't attempt it. Its only going to get worse as the plants fill out the space. Time will tell