Fungus Gnats.. PLS HELP

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wyx87ui67xc34, Feb 27, 2015.

1. I think i may have fungus gnats in my garden.

When i took them all out to give them a good watering i saw little tiny flying gnats around my plants, maybe in total 5 - 10 of them. i was able to kill most of them off by hand but i've been reading that this can lead to an infestation and that the larva will eat the roots of my plants.

Anyone have any tips on how i can completely get rid of them?

2. #2 Ẅest Čoast, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    Cover the top layer of your soil with diatomaceous earth, sand or perlite. Let your soil dry out more between waterings. Gnats and their larvae hate dry soil.

3. I'm starting to get a little bit of a gnat problem myself. I have read nothing but fantastic things about neem meal and neem oil. I plan on swinging by home depot tomorrow to grab some oil myself. You just spray it on as a foliar spray and let it do its thing.

4. Gnatrol is what you need. Kills the larva dead.

5. There not strong flyers so a good breeze across the top of of the soil will stop them from landing...and as the babies start to fly same thing. SM90 with your water, Make friends with a spider....seriously.

6. That's exactly what you do.  I had them myself and they scatter when the DE hits the dirt.  Try to water more like every 5 days like me (the plant I have that survived the larvae is doing phenomenally for an out of season plant).

7. You might be watering too much and leaving the soil constantly moist. The soil should dry out a bit between waterings. And yes, use Gnatrol to get rid of them.

8. My .02, De stinks. As soon as it gets wet it turns to concrete. Go get gnat nix to solve your flier issue

9. Alright so i've got some fly traps and ive got thick grained sand to put ontop of my soil. 

I won't water my plants for the next 7 - 10 days to let it properly dry out.

I will add additional ventilation at the soil line

I hope this works!

10. Safers end-all. Comes in a yellow spray bottle. Uses neem and other products deemed safe for you and your plants