Do you believe that our lost loved ones watch over us?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by this_girl_is_stoned27, Feb 27, 2015.

1. I have recently lost my sister. She was only 24 years old, my bigger sister a massive part of who I am today. But she moved to Oregon from California when she was 19. We had an argument and because we are both very stubborn niether of us wanted to admit we were both wrong. She died and I hadn't had a conversation with her for about 4 or 5 years. I feel her around me, I assume when the lights flicker during a heated conversation with my boyfriend that its her telling me to relax. I dream of her and they feel like she is sending a message. There are too many signs telling me that she lingers around not only me but my family. I miss her dearly and maybe it isn't that she is really around but some sort of guilt I feel......

2. What remains of your sister is whatever you remember about her. Forgive her and forgive yourself and remember your sister for all the great things she was to you. As long as you remember her, she will be with you.

I wouldnt say she is 'watching' over you, but i do think her presence is with you in some unseen way.

3. They would not be proud of what I do in my spare time.

As a brother to a sister, this broke my heart to read, and having had dread fantasies over losing my little sister at times, I can empathize, to a certain degree

I don't know if they are there watching over us or not, I don't think anyone can answer that, priest or physicists, but I do think there is merit to the thought of honoring their memory by feeling their presence. My ex lost her father at a young age, and she told me her way of feeling him was doing things she knew he'd be happy about; and mostly this was doing things that made her happy. She felt that when she accomplished things, or experienced joy, her father was right there with her, brimming with happiness and it only multiplied her own.

That's all I have to offer other than empathy and condolances and an e-hug

5. If it's helping, then go for it.

If it's hindering or hurting you in any way, then try and understand it.

6. To me it doesn't matter.

Even when they are gone their legacy lives on.

It is important to respect their memory

-yuri

7. I think of it as a possibility, but I don't necessarily believe in it.

8. Unfortunately, no.
    I come from a scientific stand point, though. You can view it as cynical if you want, and it may not be what you want to hear.
    My condolences, though.

9. I beleive that when a person on this Earth dies, the soul which inhabited the body does one of three things.

The soul lingers in a sort of limbo state on Earth with no body to inhabit and this can be for a number of reasons.

The soul leaves Earth and travels to another place, be it physical or not.

The soul stays bound to Earth and reincarnates another body in the past, present or future.

Sent from somewhere in Canada.

So you're telling me that souls have no freedom, and that all events are already predetermined within time? For, if a soul can arbitrarily be placed at any given point within a set timeline, that then means every point in that set timeline, i.e., every moment in time (past, present and, future), as already existent, i.e., actual (rather than possible).

11. Precisely.

So souls have no freedom (and are incapable of guiding or altering any course of events)?

13. The answer is both yes and no.

14. short answer, yes...

15. #15 Permanent-Piff, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015

Ever heard of the law of the excluded middle, friend?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_excluded_middle

"In logic, the law of excluded middle (or the principle of excluded middle) is the third of the three classic laws of thought. It states that for any proposition, either that proposition is true, or its negation is true."

Indeed, to assert that, 'X' is 'Y', and yet 'X' is not 'Y', is to contradict and self-refute one's own very position (that's like me saying person b can walk, but person b can't walk - what?) So, Cawdswallup, if you will, can you please expand on what it is you exactly mean when you say that souls do have freedom, but actually don't and do at the same time?

Enlighten me, friend..

... that is, as to your belief.

:smoke:

16. God I hope not.

Who wants their loved ones looking down on
    them while they rub one out?

17. No. When you die, you die. People are scared to die, but we've all been there. Every person ever has been absent from most of human history. If you want to know what it is like to be dead, take your year of birth and now imagine exactly how you felt a couple of years before that. When you die you are dead and that's the end. 

18. I believe when your loved ones die they see and know everything: past, present and future.

I also believe they can advocate on your behalf when it comes to your final judgement.

Witnesses or sorts.

19. Its a nice thought, but thats where it ends lol

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. I sure hope not because that would be awkward af