Starting DWC

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hihl, Feb 27, 2015.

1. So i went and i got a nice little 5 gallon black bucket with a 6" netpot lid for it, some Hydroton an air pump some tube and a medium sized air stone.

DWC Bucket.jpg
    My nutes are a 1 part Grow, and 1 part bloom Organic

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow (going to get the bloom in a few days no rush to have it right away)
    Nutes.jpg

Im gonna grab some rockwool tomorrow ran outta time shopping today cause i had other things to do

Tips and suggestions to starting this.
    Do i just take a rockwool cube and soak it to ph 5.5 and germinate my seed in a papertowel then stick it in and let it grow under a humidity dome, and about 1 week later put it into the DWC system?

2. It's easier to germinate your seed in a glass of room temp water... 24-48 hrs... as long as you can see 1/8th-1/4 of the tap root it's ready to put in the rockwool (root end down). In the humidity dome, under some light... it should pop in 1-2 days after that. Sometimes it's a bit slower so if it doesn't come up fast just be patient.

3. #3 hihl, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Well that much im aware of, but im not a fan of using a glass of water. But this is my 3rd grow, but its my first DWC

4. It sounds like you have the right idea.

5. #5 whitelump, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    Make sure that bucket is 100% light proof!! Even where the tube goes into the bucket plus u might need a bigger stone...how many liters per min u get with your air pump?
    Good luck though it didn't work out well for me

6. #6 jras2218, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    That bucket and net pot works perfect for keeping out light no extra light proofing needed, your air pump is pretty much the smallest you want to go if you can take back and get the duel air pump that way you can throw 2 airstones in there and have plenty of O2 also you may want to upgrade your airstone to something a little bigger. What kind of light are you going to grow with that also kind of determines what size pump and airstones you can get away with.

Also yes your right about how to start, put seedling in rockwool once roots pop out of the bottom throw it in your bucket, be sure to wash hydroton thoroughly bring solution to bottom of net pot with roots in the solution keep air on 24/7 and you are good to grow.

G

7. Well thats a medium stone and i know i can go back and get the 2x pump, you can actually buy a Y piece to put them together to push them both through 1 stone my local hydro store actually recommends that. And ive got 450W worth of CFl, like actual 450W
    i have 4x 400W (105w true watt) 6500k cfls
    and 1x 42w (true watt) 2700k CFl
    My first grow was green crack and it turned out amazing, im still smoking on it
    And im on a northern lights right now
    Im going to go for some bag seed grows before i actually do the DWC
    Now if i do it in a 3.5gal bucket it just means i use less nutes and have to pay attention to it more correct?

8. Yea I know they sell that y piece I was suggesting the fuel pump that way you make sure you have nice even bubbles throughout your res. I have that pump as well and she is fairly weak i bought the 6" airstone bars they worked very well for low pressure pump but that pump deff would only do 1 bucket and since then I've upgraded pumps and airstones with excellent results, will it work yes can it be better yes the more O2 you give her the more growth she'll give you. This is the 6" airstone I was talking about ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1425062688.681043.jpg

G

9. Yea i was looking at those and my mom use to use those when i was a wee'little lad and they use to breakdown really fast, but im thinking about going back and getting the other 2 prong pump.

10. #10 hihl, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    As for using my nutrient, i know i disregard what almost 95% of it says, whats the best amount of PPM for a seedling that is about 5-7 days old?
    I wanna do this, but i wanna do this right. I know there are a lot of DWC growers and i know some of them may be using a 1 part like im going to try.

11. #11 jras2218, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    Yea they do break down fairly quick but you get one full grow out of them two if your gentle but for $1.20 they are really good for low pressure, once my seedling breaks the 4" cube with roots I put in bucket with 150-200 ppm's and I never seem to have a issue but like I said I use 4"cube so when the root pops out of the bottom I usually have a few nodes and she's ready for nutes.

G

12. #12 hihl, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    I totally forgot that i wanted to do Autoflowers in the DWC also but i mainly started this thread cause i wanted to do DWC Autoflowers but i was reading that doing Autoflowers in a DWC is kinda hard because of the growth cycle