Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making a tincture from decarbed BHO

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by GordonS3, Feb 26, 2015.

1. My plan is to make my first ever tincture from a purchased concentrate, probably BHO, that I will decarb myself. Or maybe I'll use RSO (which I understand will already be decarbed?).

What I want is something that can be used sublingually and take effect fairly quickly, then last for 2-3 hours. I'm new to concentrates and tinctures, but my understanding is that BHO and RSO will be too sticky to use as-is, and might be more effective when used sublingually if they are bound with alcohol or fat.

Can I just dissolve BHO or RSO in 40/50% alcohol?

Or can I dissolve it in coconut oil and use that? If so, would it be as effective as alcohol?

• Like Like x 1
  2. #3 OneE, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    You'll figure out that using the everclear to transfer your oil - whether green dragon/bho/rso/qwet - into other oils/butter/creams/syrups is incredibly easy and efficient - allowing you some form of control on the dosing.  The real trick/problem is getting a good decarb on the material before its dissolved since that is the point of no return.  I wouldn't assume that rso is decarbed just because its rso... its probably more decarbed than bho, but probably not to the point that most people would like.

RaJay - since you're a blaster, you may want to consider decarbing your material before blasting if you're planning on making edibles from the get go --- you could blast directly into EC and fore go the whole heat/vacuum purging process.  You would lose some of your dosing accuracy, but you could back that out from your typical yields and starting material amount.  I haven't tried to decarb bho yet, but I think the amount that I'd want to use (1/4-1/2g) would end up wasting too much in the process - if you're doing larger batches, it probably isn't an issue.

Edit : The reason behind decarbing the material before blasting is that you can get away with decarbing at a lower temp - ~220 - vs some of the higher temps that I've seen listed for decarbing  oil - 250 min in an oil bath - 300f in an oven.  You could preserve some more of the volatile compounds that way.... 

• Like Like x 1
  3. #4 DabsOnTheMountain, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    Decarbing before you blast or do your run is your best bet. And you'll need something stronger than 40%. I tried to get a glob of reclaim to disolve into this 57% shit, it just wouldn't. Some was left when I took the shot.

Try everclear.

Or a half O of reclaim in a bottle shaken over the period of months whenever you remember. I'd just use some claim for this. It's probably not gonna taste that great with oil anyway. Why waste oil? Do you have a reason why you can't dab it? If edibles or tinctures are your only option then still, try and find a bud who'll give you claim for free. Put it in bottles and chill on them until it's dissolved.

My asthma has gotten worse, so any form of smoking is a bad idea, hence the tincture plan. I don't know anyone else that uses concentrates, so can't get any reclaim.

Start with a gram of BHO in 1 fluid ounce of 190 proof Everclear, although 151 should work, too. All you should have to do is shake it well until it fully dissolves. It's just like winterizing without the freezer and evaporating. After it's dissolved, use a few drops. It shouldn't take more than that. It will improve your asthma with regular usage.  :)

• Like Like x 5
    Strongest alcohol I can possibly get where I am is going to be cask strength whiskey, 50% or so (i.e. 100 proof). Any idea if that will work, and long it would take?

7. I do decarb before every blast. No heat, 20 min per OZ inside my vacuum chamber. And I winterize my runs in everclear 190 proof.. and if I dont do it that way, I just use butane, then decarb my wax after its made if its being used fir edibles...

Can I decarb EHO in the iven at 220 for 30 minutes? Or will the alcohol evap and mess things up?

I really don't know how long it might take that way but if you have enough, try experimenting with a small dab. It might take 2 oz of the whiskey instead of 1 for a gram but it really should melt without too much effort, maybe warming just a little but not enough to evaporate any alcohol. Experimentation with a small amount would be the best way to determine that and then you can give us the lowdown. I always like to see it with my own eyes, don't you? And you don't waste a lot if it doesn't work.  ;) 

9. Running your material thru the vac chamber isn't decarbing - its dehydrating/desiccating/drying - there is no (minimal) activation taking place.  No - you can't decarb the solution because all the EC will evap off before any decarb would happen - dangerous too.

If you were to decarb before blasting, you could blast straight into EC to prurge off the butane (easy!) and you would be left with activated/decarbed bho in EC - side stepping the whole purge process.  You could then sample that 'golden dragon' to determine potency and proceed with your transfers into butter/oil/honey as you wish.  Pretty straight forward if thats your intent from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wow, my mistake I get them confused sometimes. I got you ! Makes perfect sense. I do around 800gram runs so would I need to decarb the material in increments or could I decarb all in the same shot? Ive never decarbed buds before, and I usually blast for smoking purposes and I split 50/50 each run with a friend. So its mostly always going to be smoked. Im going to try a smaller blast specifically for edibles.

So decarb, pack in tube, blast into jar, pour in everclear and let it fifht off the butane for a day or so? And bam? Liquid EHO solution?

I use that process (dehydrate instead of decarb) and I would obviously purge the liquid solution left over for shatter. But same concept, less steps?

11. Yep - just blast the butane into the EC - room temp or warmer - and the butane should just boil right off - shouldn't take that long - watch the bubbles til they stop - stir/shake a couple of times and I'd call it good to go - probably best to cap the jar and burp it for 1-2 days just to be sure, but If you're winterizing with EC from the start now, you probably know when the butane is gone already.  Couldn't get any easier for dedicated edible runs!  Smaller runs to dial in the decarb time/temp would be advised - follow PSam's decarb guidelines.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Heyyo OneE.. I was thinking back ... so even AFTER my BHO/Everclear dewaxed run is purged for a couple days and in its final shatter patty form its dangerous to decarbthen? Id think the Everclear by then all, if not most of it is purged out and evaporated inside my vacuum chamber on about 105degree F heat? Or is the ONLY way to devarb and activate it is before the blast?

13. No - its fine to decarb a purged oil.  The point that i'm trying to make is that you take great care to preserve all the terps with low temps thru purging just to cook them off during decarb - typically at temps (250-300f) higher than what you could get away with by decarbing the material prior to blasting (220f) - not to mention the fact that you are evap'ing  the EC so that you CAN decarb it only to add EC BACK to it --- why not decarb it from the beginning and not bother with the purge?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ahhaaa. No doubt my man! Thank you... this definitly clears things up now.

15. quick question for you guys, i made a small batch of tincture this past week utilizing 1 g of BHO and 1 oz of 95% everclear. It was a royal PITA after decarb to actually get the stickiest substance on earth into the small opening in my glass amber bottle. Today I had an epifany however, as my tincture bottle is glass could i not have just rolled the non carbed BHO into a snake and dropped it in the bottle then decarbed at 220f for 20 mins in the oven with the BHO in the bottle? let everything cool and add the 1 oz of everclear??? Yes I would decarb without the cap on, but just thought why bother with the material transfer process from my parchment to the bottle and end up losing some

16. also i read conflicting posts about decarbing, one good post (i think was linked here) said to decarb at 220F for 20 minutes then let it sit in the oven till cool, then put in the freezer and in 10 minutes it was workable --- someone had asked if they could pull the decarbed bho out after the 20 and go striaght to the freezer, and it was concluded that he could and the "waiting to cool" method wasnt required (only to save the container from thermal shock if your on a glass pyrex plate) ... is that right you dont need to cool, the reason i ask is because someone also said

when decarbing heat at 200 F until all the bubbles are gone? Now i dont have any fancy setup, just BHO on parchment on a cookie sheet in my oven, after the 20 minutes and a 1 hr cool down (everything was still damn hot) i noticed there were entrained bubbles, should i have let the oven cool overnight and thus those bubbles probably wouldve escaped? or is it just because I'm doing it the poor mans method

17. white_bear, to just address one of your concerns- I don't think it would be wise to try and decarb BHO in the amber glass bottle. I have no idea whether it's safe to heat these bottles. I decarb before I blast when making edibles or tincture. If I let the BHO tincture decarb naturally over 90-120 days I use a Pyrex baking cup to slightly heat my EC to dissolve the BHO, bottle and place in a room temp, dark place to age.

18. You're not going to decarb your concentrate at 200°F because it's not hot enough to make those bubbles. This is how I decarb mine and it will show you how the bubbles are going to look. :)

BHO Decarb & Tincture Video Guide Post 9075

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darn ... i don't have a hot oil bath. ..will on a silicone sheet in the oven work?

Where i am there are no dispenceries so it's someone who says he has shatter. ..is it bho or something else i don't know but it's sticky as hell. ..I'll try to decarb higher at 250 and wait for no more bubbles. ..i just tought if i decarbed in the bottle that there would be no chance of wastage (the opening is barely large enough for a eye dropper so getting the insane sticky substance in after decarb is hard)