Right or wrong

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by cheeto_soda, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Do you think a moral right or wrong exists?

2. Sure. I think there are probably over 6 billion of them.

3. Yes, subjectively. However under people who love, and do so unconditionally there would be many common moral values, I believe.

I suppose I draw a difference between morality "in the universe" and morality "in the human animal"

I think it exists in the latter but not in the former, I think it's a construct, and I think it's very malleable. I.e. one person's wrong is another's right, etc

I don't think an absolute moral right or wrong exists, but I think there are certain moral "rights" that are more beneficial to a lot of people (freedom of speech, illegality of violence, unprovoked compassion etc), and they rank higher on an objective scale, but only as measured by the standard of 'what benefits most people'

It's a solid question tho, I don't think there's any right or wrong answer, to put the words back at you

5. I think there is, but i dont think its always knowable. Every moral situation involves more variables than can be calculated by the finite mind. We then establish subjective moral guidelines that serve as a basic framework.

6. "I think it's a construct, and I think it's very malleable. I.e. one person's wrong is another's right, etc"

It seems fairly obvious that it is a construct.  For better and for worse.  How many "good men" have committed atrocities in the name of religion alone for example, all while being saluted and held in high regard by their neighbors?   

It's important to point out that while it might be a construct, it does not mean it is nonexistent or folly, or not worth pursuing.  Just because some silly group somewhere decided to follow some fictional deity and its fictional set of rules, it does not mean that one can't or shouldn't strive to live their own life to the best of their ability and knowledge.   If you've had the privilege of being raised by sane, loving people, then you probably already have something in you telling you not to harm others  or be a prick in general.  Personally, I find that worth cultivating and passing on if able.  I don't find the fact that others might follow a different moral code, or  have no code at all, threatening to my own morality.

7. The only thing that is good is good will itself. The older and older I get, the more I respect Kant's views on the topic.

8. Morality is relative and not universal

9. #9 Deleted member 281310, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    i think there is no right or wrong answer to this question. i say yes

10. Morality is most prevalent and does exist, now the real question is, is morality subjective? Or is it objective?
    If it is subjective, then it is only applicable toward individual/collective perspective. 
    If it is objective, then it is applicable on a universal scale.

Reasoning behind each is the core concept of application, what tree yields the most fruit?
    A tree divided against itself? With each branch warring to gain height?
    Or a tree that has unified itself under the circumstance of acceptance, so that height may be gained for all.

If morality is subjective, then power belongs to each person to be the judge of not only their own morality, but everyone else as well.
    If morality is objective, then power does not exist to degrade possibilities of healing(in it's literal definition) rather to grade possibilities of destruction.
    Thus it can be said, that objective morality takes utmost honesty in order to set about a certain criteria for all to follow. 

But in pure observation, you wouldn't conclude that morality is still subjected in even objective standards, but rather conclude that both exist, and one would not be without the other.

For the question of morality is determined not by strength of belief but rather truth of belief. And how do you determine what is true?

11. Morality may not be relevant in the universes that may be, but it is prevalent in our world and lifetime, what separates man from animal is our morality. Why do we feel "bad" in certain situations and not in others. Our morality is limited to what affects us personally, this is why half of the world doesn't give a crap what happens halfway across the world.

12. It has to exist we can feel it

❤️

13. Define "right" and "wrong".

14. There are no absolutes.

15. I think morality is very individual. Whats moral to you isn't to someone else but you should still stick to them cuz that's what's right for you. Like smoking weed - some believe its a sin others believe its a gift from God. Neither view is wrong because it works for them.

16. Isn't that what wars are all about, on the surface at least: my way or the highway.

17. That would be relative for the collectives.
    True morality imo is universal, while false morality says, "My way gives me a bigger dick."

How is it universal?  Have we humans ever lived in under the unwavering umbrella of true morality?

Relativism and absolutism seem to have produced massive scale inhumanity, each in there own way, each with terrifying outcomes.

I need another espresso.

19. True Universal Morality is as common as the Buddha.

I know not much about the Buddha.