Making glass bongs out of bigger bottles--HELP

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by k4ssandra, Feb 26, 2015.

1. I'm creating water pipes out of big bottles like Ciroc, Bacardi, Absolut, Belvedere, etc. I've seen a lot of tutorials. I want to make them look as clean as possible, but most of the tutorials are for smaller bottles like patron and such and I'm afraid the tutorials show bottles that are too small.
    1. What materials should I use in order to make a proper water pipe out of these big bottles?

2. Noobish question: what is the metal part called? Where can I find it? Is there a special website that sells them by the bundle? (see picture attached) 

3. Where can I find grommets by the bundle (I think that's a grommet/rubber stopper)

Please help!

Attached Files:

2. Go to your LHS or online. And get an old school slide and downstem. It will come with a downstem and a bowl/slide and a rubber gromet. They're about $10-$20. Also you will need a glass drill bit so you don't crack the bottle

3. you need a drill press and a glass bit for it. get them at any hardware shop. you might want to make a jig to hold the bottle in place because vibration will cause the glass to break. i used wood, a couple towels and bungee cords for mine. you also want to use water to cool the bottle and the drill bit when you are drilling through glass. a spray bottle set to stream and a friend to spray thee drill bit will work just fine.

the drill press and jig / fixture to hold the bottle in place will make cutting holes at an angle a breeze. be sure to get a down stem and grommet so you can get a drill bit the exact size you need. if you plan on keeping the down stem in place then you could hot glue it in place. i have used high heat apoxy before to do that too.

good luck man :metal: