Question About Newly Planted Seedling

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iLoveBHO, Feb 25, 2015.

1. So 3 of my seeds popped yesterday and was showing some nice length tap roots and I decided to plant them in soil last night . My question is do i start giving them light now? Or should I wait until I see the first set of leaves ? Should i put saran wrap over the top of the pot ? I've planted the seeds 24 hours ago and left the lights on all night , I'm seeing mixed answers on this topic and just want some solid answers . One more thing I'm growing with cfls , is it true I can literally have them over my pot without burning my seedling ? They are currently 3 inches above soil .

Looking forward to any input which will help me further my knowledge !

Stay high my friends

-Mcgyver

2. You can use the light as soon as the seedlings have sprouted through the top of the soil :)

stay toasty!

3. #3 PatrickXy6dC, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    I think if you want to cover them there might be a better way than saran wrap.  Unless you make a tent and allow for some airflow.  You could put the bottom of  a clear two liter bottle over the sprouts- like a propagator.  I just think water would collect on the inside of your saran wrap. As for the bulbs, I would keep them at 3"-5" from the plants and do the back of the hand test.  It's great when they start to grow.  Have fun, good luck.

4. #4 GrowHydro7727, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
    Use the light right now, gives the plants something to look for...no point in being cheap with your low wattage cfls.

No need for saran wrap

And yes, 3" is perfect

5. Hey iLoveBHO,

It time to give them light now. Make sure you enough lighting for your plants. You want the light as close to your plants WITHOUT BURNING THEM. Any grower should tell you, starting with short stem is easier and prevents a lot of problems. Short stems are achieve by not letting the lighting be too far out from the plant. You do NOT know want the plant to stretch to reach the light. Stretching cause the stem of the plant to be thin. Hence it might flop over and break. Ultimately killing your plant. 

Also add a fan to mix. A small fan. You want your plant move in circular motion. A circular motion will help strengthen your plant. It doesn't need to be strong just enough to cause that circular motion. It will help strength your plant's stem. A strong base will cause your plant to flourish

The best way you can test and see if your plant is not being burned by the light is what I called the hand method. You place your hand right next to plant for five minutes. If you feel a burn or its too hot. The light source is too close. 

How long have you been gardening btw? Always glad to help new growers!

6. #6 iLoveBHO, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the late reply! I was getting curious to see how far along the seed is pushing upwards I moved a little bit of soil around and seen the little one with its roots burying itself deep into the medium so should I expose it to light at this stage ? Or cover it back up with dirt and let it do its thing I don't wanna make a assumption saying they're not dead but the root still look very healthy and as far as gardening goes I read alot about it but everything is easier said than done lol here's a pic let me know what you guys think my camera doesn't react well with the 2700k lights so it's grainy smh

Attached Files:

7. It looks about ready to pop which is great iLoveBHO. So it looking good. Do not move the dirt around too much. It should be expose to light. You do not want disturb the roots. You should be putting in a 6500k bulbs. I do 3 to 1 ratio depending on what cycle. If your in veg state. I would do 3 6500k to 1 2700k bulb. If your in flowering state I would do the reverse 3 2700k to 1 6500k. How big is your setup. 

8. Keep us updated. I am currently right there with you waiting for iit to show it self.

GOODLUCK

9. #9 iLoveBHO, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015

Hey Guys back with the update one of my babies actually Grew out of  its shell already ! But should i worry cause its Slumped down ? And the other one is so close to popping that shell off . Here is my current setup FOR NOW in a few weeks ill have another picture of my next setup that you guys might find interesting,  i am switching my bulbs to 6500k after i post this lol. Looking forward to your feedbacks 

Stay high my friends 

EDIT 6:35 PST : i actually have a 1 Foot Bar (2)  Light Behind the blanket With 6500k Long Bulbs Forgot to take a picture of it . And also have a Fan that i pulled from a mini hockey table to keep things circulated 

Attached Files:

10. Update -7:55 A.M PST the little slumped over one is doing very well it straightend itself out !

Attached Files:

Looks good my friend. Yeah you need to give it time to straighten itself out. Make sure you bring the light as close as you can to the plant without hurting it from the heat factor from the bulbs. I would add some more CFLs to your grow if anything. Also build a box around it. Keep it green as always. Always glad to help. 

Never stop growing. Its my life long mission.