Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to bind/make THC honey with BHO?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by RaJay, Feb 25, 2015.

1. You don't learn from success RaJay - only from shortcomings...

Thanks for the explanation PSam - I know there were some threads pulled up from 5 years ago, but they did pose some interesting questions... I have no need to make the GD any more complicated, but a simple addition of some glycerin or oil to increase an absorption would be easy enough to do - nice to know its not needed.  Misinformation lives forever on the internet, I'm glad there is someone that can make statements from direct experience.

• Like Like x 1
    Let me tell you the way I transfer with GD and that will help you with the BHO transfers. I use a GD with a potency of 4g/oz and make my transfers based on that. That gives me a good basis to dose. I like to use the same amount of GD and the medium if it's fluid and I'm not creating a concentrated product. 

I suggest that before you do any more large batches of anything, take one gram of your BHO and add it to one ounce of alcohol. Use the formula I gave you for the honey to figure your general potency of that gram of oil. Then try it to figure your dose. You can always add more oil if it's too weak but that really shouldn't be a problem. 

Once you have that determined, use that small amount or maybe a little more to practice your transfers. You only need a coffee mug warmer and a little time. I would have recommended this small approach at first but you were already into it by the time I came around. Start small until perfected then go large. 

For sugar, I use one fluid ounce of GD to each cup of sugar. It's best done in an oven unless it's gas but there are other ways to accomplish it. At that strength, a half teaspoon is a good dose.  :)

3. #43 OneE, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Hmmmm.... sounds familiar......deja vu?
    You didn't use the 'T' word....

All over again.

Which "T" word?  :smoking:

5. Do you have a guide on making GD with BHO, or is it just / about the same exact process as buds?

Making GD from BHO is as easy as easy gets and you've been doing it when you've been dissolving the BHO in the EC. When done with buds it all still has to be extracted but the BHO has already done that part. You just decide how strong you want your tincture to be and then begin your titration (the "T" word OneE mentioned). You'll want to use your decarbed oil for it. There's only one other GD method that is nearly as easy and foolproof and that is using kief. Both can be used with a 151 with no issues, too.

When I mentioned to put 1g in 1oz for practice, that would also be a good ratio to use for your GD. You would then titrate down or up to reach the minimal effective dose needed for what ails you, then use it for a guide for other occasions...like a party or a night out. I hadn't mentioned titration earlier because you were transferring, but you would do the same thing with your finished honey and glycerin. It's just finding your dose. You can always go large but then you run the risk of running up your tolerance.  :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glad I didn't have to say the 'T' word myself.... It sounds like with the potency that you're playing with RaJay, you really need to explore it and figure out what your 'standard' dosing is for you and your customers --- although I know my grower is making edibles now and his main goal is 'to make them strong as fuck', so I guess it depends on what you're really after.

I see a lot of the unbridled enthusiasm coupled with a large supply of material to play with that I had way back when when I first started playing with the GD --- you know, a month and a half ago!!!  My advice to you RaJay is to slow down and master the techniques with smaller batches before you go big - it will save on material and keep you from having a stockpile of 'substandard' or 'just adequate' product.  PSam tried to rope me in in the beginning, but just like you, I thought I could go big right from the start.  And just like me, you'll find that in the end, you should have listened to advice on these forums a little closer.  That being said, lessons learned the hard way from mistakes are seldom repeated --- as long as you're paying attention.

8. #48 OneE, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
    Hey PSam - I finally found the agave syrup - C&H ($3/~12oz) and 2 types of 'organic' ($7/~24oz)  (on sale @ safeway btw)
    Any difference between the two/three?  I'm leaning towards the smaller bottle to start unless you think there is something special about the 'organic'.

I like the amber but organic doesn't make any difference. The C&H dark is very strong tasting. I haven't tried the light but it would be easier to see the progress. Take your pick.  :)

10. #50 OneE, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    OK so I went with the C&H - it turned out to be 'organic' too.  Easy enough transfer - 4 Tbs of GD to 4 Tbs of agave - small problem was that the agave coated the measuring spoon, so I think it came out light on the agave - was planning on 2 floz out of this batch, but only ended up with ~1 1/2 - not that big a deal for the first round.

Heated in a small metal bowl in a skillet with water - evapped quickly.  I did notice that it tended to form small 'beads' of oil towards the end - I was worried that it was going to separate, so stirred constantly until no more bubbling - took it off the heat and stirred while it cooled - looks like it all went back into solution.  Noticed a nice small buzz developing as I licked up the drips while transferring to the bottles.  Looking thru the amber bottles I don't see any of the small beads anymore, but do notice a film layer on the dropper and sides of bottle - I assume shaking the bottle will take care of that.

Flavors nice - almost too sweet for my taste, but no EC taste and plenty of GD oily flavor lurking below the sweetness .... this stuff could be dangerous by how good it tastes!  Dosing will be challenging since its so thick compared to the GD.  

Kind of thinking the best route may be to just add 1-2 droppers of agave to the GD bottle to keep it from being so sweet - and I am one of the few that actually likes the EC flavor and burn.  Is there any problem with separation if all of the EC isn't evap'd?  I couldn't really tell if the GD and agave was mixing completely in the beginning, but it seemed pretty uniform as it boiled down.

Very good. There will be a thin film that I believe is the tars. You shouldn't notice any real separation other than that. It does work a bit like the BHO for a while in the transfer and doesn't look like it will ever infuse but at a particular point, with stirring, it just breaks down and bonds. If all the alcohol doesn't evaporate then there may be some of that separation with the oil from the evaporation sitting on top. I just leave it on the heat until it all breaks down to be safe. 

It's great for sugar-free recipes and many other recipes. I like to add a bit to cookies, candy and anything else that's sweet.  :yummy:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well, I gotta say, two thumbs up for the agave elixir!!! I think I can consider this another AHA moment PSam!  

There is no doubt that the agave is a good carrier - it seems like it provided more/stronger head effects right off the bat than the GD - I assume its because it gets held/absorbed more in the mouth, but I could be wrong.  It seemed like the various effects came on more at once rather than staged out over time as I noticed with the GD.  I will admit, I probably had more than I should have last night - I ended up scraping out my evap bowl around 8:00 - probably ~droppers worth - then made a cup of tea and washed the bowl out --- don't seem to recall too much after drinking my tea!!!

I see you've mentioned that you transfer at 4 g/oz potency --- I figure this transfer was 4/3 my usual batch strength (3 g/oz) so it should be right around that point.  That definitely makes it a < 1 dropper dosage - titration is definitely in order for this batch.  And the surprising thing is is that I mixed some of the earlier batches - one that I know didn't have much decarb to it  (~1/3 GD total) - so I'm really impressed with the potency and the effects.

Gonna make another batch tonight since I think that people are really gonna love this - and I won't have to listen to anyone complain about the EC burn.  I find it strange that people seem scared to have 'too' much of this and want to 'start off with a couple of drops' even before they have tried any !?!?!  Something about liquid forms seems to freak them out.... even more so than an edible.

Now you see why I say that the agave is the best for bioavailability. It has something to do with the way its absorbed. It's faster than honey and even the sugar. There are receptors in the mouth specifically designed for sweets and those are different than the ones that grab the alcohol from GD. Those sugary carbohydrates provide quick uptake because they provide energy to the body and luckily pull in other compounds attached to them like coconut oil does only in the mouth instead the digestive track. 

When I use rso straight in a cap, I'll fill the rest of the cap with agave (not infused) and it starts to work almost as soon as the cap has dissolved and makes the oil more absorbable, if such a word exists. It's amazing stuff.

Be careful, though. Some people can be very sensitive to agave nectar and it can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Too much of it will quite possibly make you a little more regular than usual. That seems to be the case with a lot the mediums with glycerin being the most pronounced but coconut oil is right up there, too, for some people. 

There's a good possibility that your under-decarbed GD had that corrected by the heat used for the transfer. Because of the nature of the medium, thick and syrupy, it holds the heat at a constant and for long enough that it actually converts. More things to add to my testing list when I get rich.  ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yeah - I was thinking it did help with the activation - it did develop a decent boil towards the end instead of a rolling simmer.  Hard to say with the increase in potency, but still very nice by any standard.  It definitely had a more 'edible' buzz feeling over the standard GD buzz i'm used to from these batches.  Glad I saved the early batches - I've been holding off mixing and blending, but now I won't have any problem combining my early 'sub-standard' runs (only 1-2) and just having a master batch for the elixir --- pretty 'sweet' outcome for a $3 experiment!!!

Mybad it took a couple days to read this and say thank you again! I had gotten bad new 2 days ago a member from my crew (we are Hip-Hop artists) passed away from an OD off pharmaceuticals. This is one reason why I really have grown a strong desire to know how to make tinctures, edibles, pills.. ect. Becuase to an extent I know it can help certaint people from needing to take the bullshit prescribed drugs, and use these instead. Also, my little nephew now 8 years old has been battling cancer for HALF of his young life and that drives me to NEED to know how to make CBD tinctures/edibles and what not. Yes, I love to get faded myself, but I also realize its more than just my fade I'm after, its helping others who truly need it as well. Sorry for this, just felt like I needed to express this, and its why I really appriciate yall guiding me, teaching me and all. My pops be on heavy pain killers for 10+ years.. I gave him a few drops of this CURING glycerine, and he said pain flushed away, and he started melting into his seat while watching Hockey late at night... He had to go to bed, but he loved it. This is an example of people who really honestly need it, just like you PSam, correct?

Titration... the process of adding or subtracting potency of the product. Gotchyaaa. Why is this such a forbidden term? LOL
    . Most definitly, I agree. Exploring is fun, even with two big mason jars of honey that arent infused or blended correctly.. and a third which does got some potency to it, but will be better next time! This glycerine isnt a bust, it actually holds up really well, just done a bit sloppy. I took 5 drops last night... My bed felt amazing, and this morning I did not want to get up! Definitly worked. Still curing and getting better by the day. Thats life for ya! Lessons learned the hard way are usually my favorite. That way I got more insight on how to not mess something up again, gotta struggle to be stronger type of thing! Notes are definitly being taken, thank yall again!

• Like Like x 1
  16. #56 OneE, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2015
    I was just razzing PSam about the 'T' word....  if you'd followed his other threads, he always recommends starting with small doses and working your way up - but few follow through and continue to dose at 'recreational' levels.  Titrating allows you to get the minimum dose for the effect that you're after without overloading your system --- I don't know if you've noticed the carryover from some of your 'rec' nights the next day, but after a couple of days of even lower level dosing, you can still feel the effects in your system - I'm definitely feeling it after last night!!!  I kinda view it as being the dividing line between a 'medical' user that can stop at a certain lower level effect vs a 'stoner' that just wants to get lit.  Sadly, I like so many others tend go for the 'lit' stage, but I know the beauty in the lower level effects too.  No judgement being cast, just the recommendation to explore the lower level effects to understand you really don't need those large doses and develop the appreciation for all that the herb has to offer.

• Like Like x 1
    That's right, RaJay, just like me. It's kind of funny saying that now because there used to be nobody who chased a buzz any more than I did. It was about all that I thought about 24/7 but now the buzz is secondary but not the main event and to prove that, I have some Harlequin GD in my fridge for those times a buzz is counterproductive. I judge a strain by how it helps me medically now and those properties are the priority. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm an old stoner, over 45 years, and I'm always going to be judging by psychoactivity since I believe that the psychoactivity plays a larger role in the medical benefits than most give it credit for. And even that evaluation has changed to the type that is most beneficial to my current needs and not just how fast and how far it will take me. In my earlier years I'd be all over all kinds of hash oil chasing that rush.

With age and/or physical adversity different priorities start ruling our lives which we may have been clueless about before. Those who survive adapt. They scan their environment and the light bulb goes on and reality sets in. We see and decide where our best interests lie. Those who don't adapt will continue to chase those things they'll only brush against but not capture and not even realize they always be clueless and not even know it. 

You give me hope, RaJay, you and OneE and many others here on GC. It's rare that I find those on the forums with a deep interest, real interest, in learning the roots. There are many on my main thread but they've been with me for a while so it's refreshing to find others who are so interested in the workings of this stuff without my initial input, and in OneE's case...despite it, even challenging. And I like it. I know you guys are thinking and not just following orders. Keep it up.

Now, I know that's all pretty esoteric but I have an excuse. I just got some Laughing Buddha Thai/Jamaican cross that has really got me in the ozone, again and contemplating my navel and the universe's navel, too. 

It's great that the glycerin is working so well for your pops. I am so glad. I usually only get those who want to do that glycerin thing for the ecig application and everybody overlooks the medical benefits of it as a tincture. I doubt if very many people have tried it that way other than me and a few others. I'm talking about the transfer method, not in general, so I'm glad to hear that it worked so well for him. 

Come over to my main thread, RaJay, and we'll talk more about the high CBD and cancer therapy and a few more things. I'm getting ready to post a major guide to making my version of an RSO strength concentrated coconut oil transfer for large batches. I will also have a PDF version available for anyone with a need who want's it.  :) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. #58 OneE, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    Nicely said - I'm sensing your 'lit" !

Edit: more info about what you did for the harlequin - my grower said he has the BX4 and improved harlequin going now - I'm hoping when I let him sample some of the new agave he'll be generous with the trim!
    Edit 3: just saw your post in the other thread...

Edit 2:  Too bad this isn't in the main thread - this has all been good infomation...

It's in there but spread around. I spout it in other threads, too. Thai does that to me and I can't help myself. 

I'm not as big a fan of the high CBDs as you are but that could easily just be a generational thing but it definitely has its place in the community. That's a big change for me. Just a year ago I still scoffed at its real efficacy in the whole scheme of things and continued wearing those blinders until a little girl with epilepsy caused me to see the error of my ways.  :unsure: 

• Like Like x 1
  20. I wouldn't say its generational, more of a new found appreciation for the effects.  After getting my first taste of harlequin, the light bulb went on that there really is a medical side to the cannabis and I've found myself seeking out the various and differing effects.  I find that I'm no longer chasing the thc high but the subtleties and nuances.  I found bho just too strong for my needs - liked the edible buzz, but that always seemed to be a crapshoot - too hi or not hi and waiting 2 hours to find out - that blows a night.  The GD brings it all together, and separates them at the same time - a truly beautiful thing.  People look at me funny when I try to explain it to them, but most just don't get it - but those that do, you see the lights go on.  

My grower is concerned when I tell him that I find myself bored with high level thc buzzes - which he is getting really good at producing lately.  I'm looking for something different, more than just flavor profiles.  I have to admit, with 15+ strains in the house, I still have trouble trying to decide what I should put in the bowl each night --- I guess thats my own personal 'hell'!  Funny how the transition from not knowing/caring to being 'hi-ly' selective happened....

• Like Like x 2