Noob needs advise on sick seedlings....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by troy622, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Hey Everyone,

I am a beginner and thought id do my first run through with some bag seed  had laying around just to learn.

Things are been moving slower than i expected growth wise but now I'm running into some obvious problems and wanted to get some opinions. They have begun turning yellow from the tips inward. New growth looks ok but older leaves are yellowing and even curling upwards a bit on the edges. (not tips)
    Here are a few pics and then I'll explain my set up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The color variation looks more dramatic under my lights but the pics didn't come out due to the color spectrum.

So here's what's gone on so far with these guys....the seeds popped about the end of last month

(1-29-15) added to tent under lights.
    (2-7-15) 10 days later fed 1/2 strength...second leaves just emerging
    (2-11-15) Plain water
    (2-15-15) Transplanted to lager pots - watered with Super Thrive - added second light to tent
    (2-18-15) fed full strength

Nutes are: 
    Dyna-Gro DYFOL008 Foliage Pro
    <div><div>Hydrofarm GH5312 CaMg+ Plant Nutrition
    Super Thrive when mentioned...

Soil is a mix of, organic gandening soil, perite, vermiculite and dolimite lime

Tent is 4.5 x 4.5 with TWO 180w LED UFOs. Lights are hung about 18" from tops of plants.

I have looked at some diagnosis pages and from the pics i've seen it looks like light burn or heat but the lights are a foot and a half away and LED and the heat isn't bad. 75-80 degrees.

ALSO, Don't these look small for being in the tent for 3 1/2 weeks?

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

</div></div> 

2. Im a beginner too but those leaves look like they are getting burned a little
    GREAT pictures!!!  What kind of camera?
    Size looks ok to me, but again Im in the beginner boat too!

3. Hi!

Camera is my LG G2....I have a good nikon but this did better....go figure...LOL

4. Plants don't need nutes for first 2 to 3 weeks.

5. they are three weeks old believe it or not.    LOL

6. It's possible the nutrients were just too strong. Give them straight water next watering and see if things improve. After that, try 1/4 strength nutrients and see how they respond.

7. OR it could be a pH issue.

8. I think IslandHippie nailed it- start with 1/4 strength nutes.  They're burning from the strong fertilizer.  I'd flush the pots really well with plain water and try to wash some of the fertilizer out.

9. The plant does look like it is nitrogen deficient. If anything. What is your NPK levels? I see your using organics. The biggest issue with organics is it breaks down overtime. 

You might need to add a formula that has more N in . You need N in beginning it helps build growth. Have you measure the run off and see the pH and PPM levels? 

It could two or one of the two issues
    1. Too much of one Macro element throwing the balance of N. Decreasing N absorption rate. 
    2. pH or ppm is off. Wrong pH levels will equal lockout or low absorption rate. Wrong ppm will cause the plant to burn 

I would do flush and re add nutrients with a higher N level. 

10. What would you suggest for more N? I'm using Dyna-Gro DYFOL008 Foliage Pro now but, as stated have only really fed once at full strength. Would something like Fish emulsion with a 5-1-1 ratio be good?

11. Your plant is toasted from over fertilization, plain and simple. That is NOT a deficiency. You planted in organic soil that has enough fertilizer to feed the plant for about a month. On top of that you added more nutrients, calmag and superthrive. You pretty much cooked your plant.

Its possible to save the plant but I'm not sure you would want to go through the trouble to save this seedling. You would need new soil to transplant to. Just use plain water for the first 3-4 weeks.

Also, your soil already has dolomite lime, so additional calmag is not needed. Superthrive isn't needed either.

12. what about the previous posts stating the wood chips in the soil are locking out N? Would be nice to have a straight answer...half say too much nutes the other half say not enough....catch 22

13. Did Light feeding - PH 6.7 - PPM 220 / RUN OFF= 7.6 & 489

14. Don't feed it nutes at all. Just water

15. That soil looks weird. What is it?

16. The soil you're using is pre-impregnated with nutrients (you can see the grains of it)

Any introduction of additional nutes will burn it (and damage roots) for the first 5-6 weeks, minimum, since it's not starter soil.

Switch to just water for 2-3 weeks, see what happens.

17. That shredded wood soil sucks. that is the problem.

One look at it and I know I would not plant anything in that stuff.

18. #18 greenarrowworks, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
     I would do a complete flush. I believe your adding too much P and K. The foliage Pro isn't good. Its foliage spray. 

Fish emulsion should work if the NPK levels 5-1-1. 

You see the plant a light green which is N deficient and you see a burn which mean your heavy on other elements. I would a flush and then add some fish emulsion. 

I would suggested to stay away from organics in the beginning. Its really hard to do because the organics do break down over time. You want to make sure you pH everything and add the right PPM levels. 

If the plant wasn't N deficient. It would be darker green than light green you have. It does have nutrients burn because your heavy on one element or more beside the N. 

19. The run off ppm is awfully high and pH is way off on your medium. What type of meter your using too. Its important to know every meter is different. Meters will differ due to conversion rate that they use. So you have to see how your meter calculates the PPM levels. 

You run off is more base. For me I like my soil at 6.0-6.5. Try to make some tea out of fish emulsion you have.  At this point your run off should be at most 200-300 ppms if anything. 

Your mixing too much stuff. Always keep it simple. Next time around I would just suggested a bag of PROMIX. Get a bale. I promise you, life would be easier for you. 

All the old school growers use PROMIX. Easiest way to go. Then once you get the routine. Then do mixes. 

Anyways always glad to help. 

Try the flush try to clean out the medium. Just add the fish emulsion in tea form. Measure ppms and see how does your plant progress. Also make sure your not using tap water or city water. I always use either distilled or spring water the very least. The reason I used distilled because it easier to control the PPM levels. 

So anyways always glad to help. 

20. #20 troy622, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015