Mars 1600 LED, 5x5 tent, 4 plants

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by A guy, Feb 23, 2015.

1. This is my first legal grow.  Doing so as a hobby and personal supply.

Mars 1600 (780w draw)
    5'x5' mylar lined tent
    Female Seeds Company genetics
    • 1 Lemon Kush
    • 1 Nev. Haze
    • 2 c99
    Planted in Dr. Earth seedling soil blend on Feb 16th.
    Popped out of soil on Feb 20th.
    I plan to use Dr. Earth POTting soil for final 5 gallon smart pots.
    Not decided on nutes yet but I'll keep it organic and do the living soil thing.

I've done a lot of, and continue to, research but this is my first real grow so I'd love your experienced suggestions and opinions.  I'd like to keep this thread kinda lean...meaning I'd rather not get a million emails a day with posts like "lolz" or :metal: .  Just hoping I can learn from you and maybe we can all learn from each other.

Thanks!

2. #2 A guy, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    So here's my first problem, I think my little girls are getting "sunburned".  Light was about 18" above plants when I took these pics this morning.  I raised it to around 24" when I saw them this way.

I misted them yesterday, do you think misting increases the chance of lightburn?  Eitherway, I'm going to keep the light up higher.

Attached Files:

That LED you have is VERY STRONG!!

Those little seedlings are gunna need to get acclimated.. Its good you moved the light farther away IMO. At least for the first week or two of their lives.

Also, I noticed when i spray my plants with a heavy mist or foliar feed, i ALWAYS do it right before their night cycle as to avoid burning the leaves.

Much love & hope your babies make a swift recovery brotha

4. I am also doing my first grow in a tent right now... Swing by and check it out!

Subbed!

Right on, I will.  Thanks for the input on the lights.  That's a great idea, misting right before night cycle.

6. subbed in brother hope it goes well.. :metal:

7. I would love to see your 1600 grow

8. so smartpots seem to run a little smaller than hardpots I would go 7 gallon smarties on saucers..

they like being misted early like that..

9. #9 JustLearningLol, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
    Misting them with the lights on will cause your leaves to be spotted with burns because the water droplets act sort of like a magnifying glass, at least that's been my experience. Keep the light how you have it until you notice them growing, if you notice any burns from misting then you can just move the light a little further away. If you have a dark period I'd mist right before they go to sleep the plants love that. Subbed in I'm interested to see how this goes!

Check out my Grow Diary http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1353460-ThePuffinator's-Perpetual-Grow-LED/CFL

10. Misting with the lights on with the Mars is fine. It will not burn it.
    Start it 36" away and slowly bring it in over the next two weeks. To like 18".

11. Ya, it could be me projecting my own feeling on the girls but they looked so much more relaxed this morning having spent the last 10 hours under less intense light.  :rolleyes:

12. Sweet!  I really stoked to see c99 grow out from the beginning.  I've been interested in seeing neville's haze as well!  I'm just getting into growing really Sativa Dominant strains.  Got Haze Extreme, a 90% Original Haze hybrid.  The other 10%, Cheese!

So, what does it feel like to be growing legally?  Congrats man.  

Subbed up.

Good Luck,

Plaid

RIght on, I'm pretty excited as well.  Hell, Alaska's legalization just came into effect.  Up to an ounce and 6 plants legal starting today.  Cheers to Alaska!  My state's law goes into effect in a couple few months but I'm keeping it otherwise legal except for the timing.  Just getting a little head start.

Ya, I've only once had the pleasure of selecting my strains when I've purchased flowers so I kinda had to go off of what I think I'd like based on the descriptions and I definitely wanted a more uplifting high so sativa doms it was.  The Lemon Kush is indica dom but I wanted it in there for variety.  Dang I hardly ever smoke these years but I think that's going to change for the better after my first harvest.

14. subbed in :) love the Mars lights.

Chef.

15. Subbed, looking forward to the picture updates

16. #17 A guy, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
    Day 4 of veg (after pop).

Here's a minor update.  As said before, I had raised the light to about 36" and the seem to be more relaxed.

Last night I gave them a tiny bit of nutes...a little less than 1/4 tsp of Dr Earth Root Zone Starter fertilizer per plant mixed in the top of the soil then watered.

Here are pics from this morning.  They're growing, slowly but surely.  They look a lot shorter than other plants I've seen at this age, probably because I was blasting them with light too early.

Trying to figure out the best way to take pics of the girls.

Attached Files:

17. Glad my advice paid off.

Now I would say you shouldn't be using nutrients yet.

18. +1

19. Thanks.  I was roughly going off of this attached grow schedule..but at < 25% of their suggested as they aren't cuttings.  Really just a tiny bit.  I wasn't going to feed them again for a couple of weeks, when they're in their permanent homes but duly noted that's too early now.

Attached Files: