Two things which the human mind can NEVER imagine: Infinity and Nothing

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Crexture, Feb 21, 2015.

1. different definition, same concept.

2. The fact that you said that says that you haven't read a damn thing.. cause that in no way implies a perfect circle doesn't exist.

3. #83 papabull, May 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    I agree they are both round fruit but you should agree that they're not both apples. Something could. Conceivably be infinite but not eternal and certainly vice-Versa since a soul, for example, conceived to be eternal is not conceptualized as infinite, too. Just sayin'. Round fruit, yes. Apples and apples, no.

It's because of the limited resolution/planck. You can't have a curve, it's all points.

Being that we are nowhere near observing Planck length.. we are nowhere near knowing if it is all points. Planck length is just that, a length. If it was a point, it wouldn't be described as a length.. but rather a circumference.

Also, for the ones who try to break reality down to a theoretical concept of length.. why are you only focusing on a circle? If a perfect circle can't exist when you break it down into it's smallest resolution.. then in reality nothing perfect can exist. There wouldn't be a perfect line in existence because it's all "points". There would be no perfect squares, no perfect triangles.. nothing would be perfect. When you try to break it down to it's smallest theoretical resolution, it becomes all or nothing. Either perfect shapes can exist or they can't.. not one shape can be perfect and another not.

6. Please elaborate more clearly. I don't think using an imaginary (scientifically) object to use as a metaphor really works. Eternity is a measure of time that goes on forever in one direction. It has a starting point. Infinity is a measure of anything that could go on forever in both directions meaning for something to be infinite, it would have always been. That's my understanding, anyway.

7. I agree to some degree. If the smallest distances were somehow still curved then every non-curved shape couldnt exist in true form.

I think part of Hell started to freeze over.. lol, but I am fine with saying that a perfect circle can't exist in the same way no perfect shape can exist. If things like a perfect square or perfect octagon can exist, then I see no reason a perfect circle can't exist. It's just that pesky irrational pi in the mix that will make it so our math could never perfectly detail a perfect circle.

9. I think this just speaks on the nature of math itself.

10. The universe goes on and on, spanning in size, until it hits the outer 6 faces of the cube that encases all of the galaxies.

on the other side of this wall you ask?

Yes.

just the last dodo bird to have lived. sqwuaking to itself in dullness. so sad.

Sent from my intergalactic spaceship hotbox

11. Infinity pertains to space. Eternity pertains to time. Your original statement conflated the two was arguing that if it wasn't eternal then it couldn't be infinite.

Eternity and infinity are similar but are not the same and, conceptually, something may possess one of those characteristics without possessing the other. But if you cannot comprehend that, never mind because I don't feel compelled to belabor the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Why would you think infinity is only limited to space? You can have an infinite number of minutes. And please don't try to belittle my intelligence when you tried to use a soul as a point in a scientific argument. I'd however like to see ANYWHERE stating infinity pertains just to space. I explained myself well, and you didn't provide anything of value to counter my statement. You just gave me a false fact and tried to back it up by trying to make me look stupid. If that is how you argue, please dismiss yourself.

13. #93 papabull, May 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    Actually, you are correct that "infinity" can apply to anything but the context was "the universe" and the theory that it is infinite space but is destined to cease to exist at some point in time. I simply answered your question. Do you remember what the question was or are you all caught up in arguing just for the sake of arguing? Try to remember your assertion via rhetorical question and then try to comprehend that there was no impossible contradiction in them as you were trying to imply. It is possible to conceive of something as infinite from a spacial perspective and yet transient from a time perspective. The universe could theoretically be a giant infinite fog bank that exists today and is gone tomorrow. But if you care, more about who is right than what is right, I'm OK with that. You can be as right as you want to be about anything you want. On a forum for cannabis fans, how seriously can anyone take discussions about "infinity". I did those stoned discussions about infinity 40 years ago; long before I became interested in the field of theoretical physics.

Let me try to explain this one last time. There is a difference between infinity and eternity just as there is a difference between a vehicle and a humvee. Arguing "how can that be a vehicle if it isn't a humvee?" makes the error very clear. It is a construction fallacy. The fact that the universe is theoretically infinite does not preclude the possibibility that it is not eternal. An infinite loop, for example, can be terminated. If you still disagree, then we should just agree to disagree.

Ps. Do you always assume that someone's who is trying to reason with you is really just trying to make you look stupid? I didn't say anything to impugn your intellect, so I'm thinking you are curiously and inappropriately defensive. Might I suggest decaf?

14. I cringe when i hear 'infinite' in conjunction with a quantity.

15. Lol, I'd agree. I feel if you truly wrap your head around infinity you realize its not possible to wrap your head around it, and realize time does not exist and is endless