Two things which the human mind can NEVER imagine: Infinity and Nothing

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Crexture, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Maybe structure wasn't the best word. Let's say outline. Before humans existed, infinity wasn't a thing because it hadn't been conceptualized. There is no evidence to prove infinity is real or can happen, so infinity is just that, a concept.
    And by tangible notion, I meant the concept of infinity is graspable and can be shown to be plausible through figures and machines and what not. You can physically express the idea of infinity.

2. How aren't there solid particles when you can physically split an atom?
    Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying.

3. our minds are built to register time in fractions of seconds as in a predator and prey, fight or flight situation... I say we cannot fathom lengthy stretches of time as in hundreds of years or greater

4. Infinity is just a word to measure the extent of something, and just as you can't speak intelligibly about ''ten miles'' without reference to a physical area of space that stretches ten miles, you cannot intelligibly speak about ''Infinity'' without reference to something that stretches infinitely. There is no ''Infinity'' in itself.

5. #25 Account_Banned283, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

It's the spatial determination of something that is a ''thing'', thus if the ''thing'' that is infinite has an end, the ''Infinity'' will too.

EDIT; Also, what does ''Infinity has no differentiation'' mean?

6. I appreciate your willingness to discuss this, infinity is one of my favorite topics :)

I would say before humans and now with humans, infinity isnt a thing. I agree there is no evidence for infinity, its a metaphysically necessary concept (imo) not a scientifically explorable 'thing'.

I only somewhat agree on infinity being graspable. To me it is the extent of our mental barrier, just as our spatial dimensions are a barrier to our physical reality. We can somewhat imagine more, even though any concept we can apply to it is only in relation to our finitude. But with our mathematics we can somewhat explore hyperdimensions and as far as i know all cosmologies are calculated assuming at least one extra spatial dimension.

7. Good question. Say we have a white piece of paper and i say 'look at the white circle i drew' you would say 'i dont see a white circle'. That is because the white circle is undifferentiated from the white paper. You cant see where it is because it is not different. If i then draw a black circle, you could see it because it is differentiated from the white paper.

In the same way the universe we see is differentiated from infinity. Infinity is the prime source for the finite. Infinity is infinite potential, all possibilities infinitely.

Thats my metaphysical view, its the best sense i have made of it all.

Furthermore, it seems to me, our reality is essentially a hologram of sorts. Its not physically real but its the reality that our sensory inputs are telling us is real, so we call it real.

8. #28 Account_Banned283, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

Just because I couldn't see the white circle it wouldn't mean that it is ''undifferentiated'' from the paper.. if I looked more closely, or analysed the circle in a different context (e.g by means of pigment recording etc), the circle would inevitably ''reveal itself'' somehow.

''Infinity is the prime source for the finite'' doesn't make much sense to me - if infinity/the infinite potential creates something, then it differentiates itself whilst creating that something, even if the creation of that something only lasts for a millisecond, it still has ''differentiation''.. I do find this kind of language cloudy and unclear though, so maybe you could elaborate in a different way.

9. the fact that people think of these things gives them relevance and therefore boundaries.

nothing = the opposite of something. yes or no? nothing has a definition in our language and thoughts. you can use the word nothing in sentences and use the word nothing to describe objects, situations and what not. the same can be said about infinity.

so when you say "never IMAGINE" i feel like that too is a misnomer. because to know of something one must first dream and imagine of it. like the wheel for instance. i would bet that there was a time when the very first human to make a wheel was chased out of his village for daring to go against the grain and not only for speaking of these blasphemous thoughts but to actually make a wheel and then use it.

a perfect example would be Galileo. the father of astronomy. he had thoughts that no man before him had ever dreamed. i dont mean dreaming of the moon, i mean dreaming of how the moon works. of how the moon, the earth and all heavenly bodies work together. these thoughts were so far from the norm that most, if not all great thinkers of the time called him mad, heretic and much worse. it almost got him burned at the stake. now we take his thoughts for what they are.

so yeah, i think the human mind has handled these concepts. it could be that your own mind is working these thoughts out on the inner. the place where we do our most fantastical and amazing thinking. where dreams and mythos live and everything and anything is possible. you my friend are in it and figuring it out for you self. i love those moments best when i feel i have over come some major obstacle and figured out one off realities most secretive of secrets. it makes me feel like when i got high for the very first time.

not the feeling of being high, but the feeling my mind had when it was effecting me for the very first time. that knowing of something great and amazing was about to unfold.

10. The white paper and circle analogy cant be pushed too far as you illustrated lol. Ill put it another way. The blank piece of paper is nothing but potential. As soon as you draw a line down the middle, you differentiated right from left. Both halves existed but it only made sense once one side was differentiated from the other. You could also fold the paper like origami, thats another way to differentiate.

Your second paragraph is exactly right, let me know if the above didnt help clarify.

Alright, but what you've said here just seems like a given. I'd only say that ''Infinity has no differentiation'' doesn't make sense in light of the post above my original question.

12. I see what you mean. Well as soon as their is differentiation, the differentiated is finite in some degree. Size, shape, color, time, possibilities. It is tricky because as soon as infinity differentiates, it seems infinity is then limited. However i think that problem may be satisfied by the proposition that the entire aspect is still present but seperate. What i mean, for light to exist (be differentiated) it must be temporarily parted from its nonexistence. Both are still present but held apart in temporary seperation.

Thats sort of how i have come to make sense of it. Of course its infinity, i dont think ill ever have it completely figured out!

i don't think infinity and nothing are opposites i think they are both states, which mind cannot reach.

some meditators would say that only when you truly connect with the state of awareness and being then you can experience (not imagine) these states, which cannot be comprehended or imagined by the mind. 

14. I would also agree they are not opposites, they are actually the same!

15. #35 TesseLated, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    Requires that you integrate into your thought/being...that they are just concepts of perception....as time..It is no-thing...imo

'Science is nothing but perception' -Plato

I wouldn't classify it as completely philosophic..some aspects yes. Depends on what you think it actually is..in some ways it takes esoteric thought...realization/attainment etc involved...

16. As Mantikore referred to earlier, there can be no such thing as nothing...there always has to be something...so we can't imagine nothing or non-existence because anything we did would be something.

Yet, many people fear the idea of nothing...of non-existence...and imagine this must be what occurs at death. Many hold beliefs that there is more, and have stories and ideas that create elaborate imaginings, sometimes involving virgins.

I don't ascribe to mental constructs that attempt to give us a specific 'after-life'...but that doesn't mean there isn't something, because there cannot be nothing. Having a faith or belief does help relieve the fear of death, although really, it ought not be needed, because if death was non-existence, then there would be nothing there to know we were no more...nothing there to fear the experience of realising it. Yet we still fear it. This doesn't help us live life if we're worried about death.

Some religions suggest rewards will come if we live good lives now...and this might just be their way of giving people something that isn't really understandable so as to have them live better lives. There is no need for the reward/punishment idea to live a good and loving life, but it may be that what we imagine, and how we approach death if we have the chance to see it coming, might influence what it actually feels like.

I like the idea of continuation, but not as this body...or even this ego...although that doesn't mean what I know of as me must dissolve. If it gives comfort to believe in something very specific...then fine...where as for me...better to let it be as it will be, and just experience the ride.

17. Can't think of new colors either

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. I did, i wish i could describe it to you.

19. #39 Dryice, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015

That's because visible light is in a specific frequency. The shorter the wave length the more violet it gets, the longer the wave length, the more red it gets. Once you get to past the point where the cones and rods in our eyes can process color, you delve into ultraviolet or infrared. There's a strict limitation on the colors we see due to our evolution.

If the sun operated differently, we may find ourselves being able to see NOTHING except lots of different shades of red, or something like that, in fact in some parts of the universe, there's likely intelligent life that evolved like that.

20. Infinity has no end because there is no limit for infinity. Once you reach your solution to your answer, you make the quintessential step of choice.