500w Chameleon Plasma VS 600w HPS Comparison Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Saneone420, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Thanks Yeah I was thinking it would be risky security wise too. So I'll go with the tent. I've seen some that come with fans & output hoses. Also, this brings up the decision of lighting......seen lots of fancy stuff & LEDs but have no clue. I do have a regular power outlet in there. That's the last question I have til after I get back from my class ;) Don't wanna wear out my welcome LOL I hope the super basic questions will be answered after my class. Now at least I can order my tent a & bring my clone home to a safe place!!!

2. What size of a grow area are you using if it is a 4x4, and you have the budget for it I would say go with a 600w HPS/MH/ cool tube and get a good 6 inch inline fan and 4 inch booster fan use the 6 inch inline to cool your HPS/MH and the booster to cool the tent and keep fresh air circulating  tent. If you are not worried about a sealed unit drop the booster and just run a split from your inline to the tent and hook one to the cool tube and one pulling air from in the tent. being where you are at get a dehumidifier to run during the flower stage. If 600w is to small go for 2 400s and same set up just keep the booster fan in the mix you will need a 6-10 inch oscillating fan (clip fan works best) and if you get a ebay tent make sure it has metal connectors other then that a timer and your on your way. What nutes and medium are you going to use ?

3. You wont wear out your welcome....you came to grow hahaha....hes^^^ got you on the right track....definitely want a 70 pint dehumidy

4. I hadn't decided on nuts & medium....I do have a compost but not sure....wanna stick to known steps with this first grow.....how many plants would that 4x4 set up support? I am going to get some clones do you think I should just get what I expect to grow or should I get an extra in case ?

5. #25 Saneone420, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
    It would depend on the strain on how many you want to grow. What strain and how long are you planing to veg ? If it is a indica dom strain and it stays short you can get 6-9 in a 4x4 if it is a tall sativa dom I would go 3 and scrog it. Also I would buy one more then you plan to flower so you can keep it off as a mother plant and cut your own clones from it. As far as mediums you can never go wrong with Pro-Mix and perlite with some smart pots or any sir pruning type pot I use rootbuilder supper roots and smart pots all give around the same results.

6. #26 Saneone420, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015

Here is a video on the light I dug up made by the company.

7. Ok I am back with a quick update!!!!!  :metal:  :yay:

so the Plants are all looking great I am impressed how much more full and bushy the plants under plasma are then the others under the hps. I have not been training these at all just hanging the light at the same 8 inches from the canopy in both tents. I have been fogging for me foliar feedings using the dyna gro foliar pro, we will see how they respond so far they are loving life in both tents see for yourself!

First up is our Plasma grown! 

This is the Black Dragon auto @ 19-20 days Grown under plasma.
    [​IMG]
    Note how bushy the plant is, I know it is a bit short but as I said we are only at 19-20 days soon it will start to flower and hit a large stretch! Here is another few shots of the Black Dragon grown under the plasma lighting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok here is the Black Dragon under HPS. @ 19-20 days.
    [​IMG]It has a bit more stretch to it then the dragon under plasma but looks great none the less.
    another shot of the Dragon under HPS. Sorry cam is kinda crappy at times its on my phone 
    [​IMG]

Critical jack under Plasma 2
    [​IMG]
      [​IMG][​IMG]

And the Critical jack under the hps was showing some stress signs, I think it might of gotten a bit hot not sure how so I backed off the light a big I think 8 inches was a bit to close, for hps anyhow. But none the less healthy and looking great!

Here is the Critical jack under HPS @ 19-20 days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So as you can see 5 days later and still same results!!! I am getting excited to see them in flower. What do you all think so far ? Anything just please speak up and as always. Happy Growing!! 
    Saneone 420

8. Looks good but i never feed my plants foliar anything unless for pests....put the nutes in the dirt for real uptake.

9. #29 Saneone420, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    My fogger is made for feeding. It produces a less them 5 micron cool mist the plants beath in the nutes no worries about PH or nute burn this way and you one use it at 1/2 str

Edit* I still give them normal feedings once a week

10. are your comparison plants from clone or seed?

11. Everything is from seed, You really can not do autoflowers from clone.

12. Thats good youre feeding once a week. The stoma in a plant is not designed to take in nutes like that but whatever works i guess....you gonna fog in flower too?.....GET READY FOR MOLD and sparkling weed hahaha. Its better you get your plant adapted to a normal climate rather than the person try to change the world. You are literally suffocating your plant with the fog. It doesnt get air or oxygen/co2 molecules to split water and use carbs. You're working against mother nature right now i dont care if you have zero humidity. ...still no good.

13. Mold is not a issue if I do not run some type of humidifier I have a 10% RH I use a Kronus 2 from titan controls to maintain the Humidity, temp,Co2 ( when i run it) works well, keeps my RH at 50% and when I get mid flower I just take out the fogger and add the dehumidifier to get it as low as I can. I never have a issue man.

14. Ok....at least you know not to dump crap on formed buds

15. #35 Saneone420, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    I thought this posted last night also LOL here is the Black Dragon at 19-20 days  grown under plasma
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. #36 Saneone420, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
    Ok so I had a issue with my ph meter I thought cal. would correct but it keeps reading incorrect so I had to run and get a new one!! Issue solved LOL the plants did get some stress from it but all is looking well none the less

Here is a pic of the Black Dragon auto in a smart pot @ 28-29 days
     [​IMG]

See the ph stress is clear (not to mention I started flushing)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] to gi
    [​IMG]
    Here is a  Black dragon under HPS @ 28-29 days 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is the black dragon under plasma @ 28-29 days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a Critical Jack under Plasma @ 28-29 days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here is the Critical jack under the HPS @ 28-29 days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see all the plants are doing great( outside of my ph meter causing issues) Growing under plasma is different then HPS in many ways, you will use about 1/4 of your normal nute and water half as often, the light needs to stay within 8 inches of the canopy. After adjusting the nutes and the light height I think the plasma will really take off now. The buds are every bit as dense as the HPS and the crystals are 3x more then the HPS.  If I had a 2nd plasma I would use 2 in the flower stage.( I am  alight junkie LOL) The Critical jack is a slow to flower auto and this black dragon is a 45-50 day strain so we are all right on track!!!! Stay tuned and remember to stay safe out there!
    Happy Growing
    Saneone420

17. It looks like you have a watering issue

18. agreed I was using a new toy that waters based on a probe in the dirt, Wont do that again They are turning around fine now 

19. Shame that probably blows the whole comparison thing out the window, can't beat the human touch lol

20. it blows nothing out the window everything was watered the same as I said, I had never had a issue with water but the plants use like 1/4 that they normally use  under hps hence the issue. Its all part of the test imo 2 days they will be back to narmal and fyi the black dragons are being flushed so there is no issue with them at all they are about 10 days from done by the trics