My biggest problem with Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ReturnFire333, Feb 20, 2015.

1. #1 ReturnFire333, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
    First I should disclaim this that I am not a bible aficionado nor have I read more than 1/8th of the old testament (probably less)

That being said, my biggest problem with Christianity or one of them, is that an omnipotent, benevolent "God" would have to order his "followers" to slaughter people to judge them. There is no way a benevolent God would do that for any reason. If God was talking directly to people back then, why would he not give them the words to say to the people to get the outcome he desired? Instead of "meh fuck it kill 'em and I'll sort it out in Heaven."

Big bullshit. Maybe someone knowledgeable of "scripture" can chime in on why "God" ordered people slaughtered instead of talking to them through his people?

2. #2 -13 Amp-, Feb 20, 2015
    there isn't a real answer to this, the typical Christian response is

"We do not fully understand why God would command such a thing, but at the same time we trust God that He is just – and recognize that we are incapable of fully understanding a sovereign, infinite, and eternal God.As we look at difficult issues such as this one, we have to remember that God's ways are higher than our ways and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts (Isaiah 55:9; Romans 11:33-36). We have to be willing to trust God and have faith in Him even when we do not understand His ways."

basically its trust that god is good...

3. there is no definitive interpretation of gods will as you portray here. the question seems to trace back to why if god is benevolent, does evil exist? one answer concerns moral responsibility and free will. if we are truly granted free will, we must be free to do as we please. if we could not choose to do wrong, we would only do good by necessity. 

4. #4 ReturnFire333, Feb 20, 2015
    This is not "why does evil exist" it is "why did God command a specific case of evil" especially when he could have not.

5. I see religion as something created by men to control other men. Not always in a malevolent way, some characteristics of religion can help build a strong moral foundation. But it is still a man-made concept and mankind is and always will be flawed. 

6. "God's orders" is just an excuse for someone in a position of power to do whatever they want without being questioned.

There is no "being in the sky" commanding people to do things..people have used the Bible and Christianity for their own means since the beginning of Christianity. Back in the days of slavery, parts of the Bible referring to slavery were frequently quoted by the pro-slavery side.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.  (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

7. God=opiate

8. Mankind may always be flawed, but belief in an unproven and unlikely supernatural world is far worse.  Man has the ability to reason and think logically, religion is not compatible with this.    

9. I am under the impression that Yahweh the war god is not the same as the benevolent god jesus claimed to represent. Christians tend to minimize or discard the atrocities of the Old Testament. Rightfully so, but i would go further and say its a different god, there is no reasonable explanation without compromise. I think the spiritual movement of Jesus was likely hijacked and corrupted, much like the hippie movement. Love, spirituality, nonmaterialism, procreation, pacifism etc.

10. The two things that bother me the most:

1) A loving God creating a hell for people he made with imperfections.

2) People needing to praise Jesus before they die. What kind of egomaniac sends good people to hell for not acknowledging his contributions?

11. God never told anyone to slaughter anyone. That was people claiming word of God.

Jesus came to teach us to "do unto others as one would have done unto onesself."

A modern Christian would tell you that God has no desire for war

-yuri

12. If you smoke enough you might be able to see "god".

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. Hell is made up. Its a handy scare tactic for a war god though.

14. “Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.”
    ― Michael Ellner

15. you'll go to hell for saying that

16. But that could easily be argued against. The Crusades were bloody battles based on religious differences. Hitler was a religious man! You'd have to be in denial about Christian history.

17. which is why in an atheist.

I just like arguing against tthese new atheists that speak of relgioin as though they know what they are talking about

-yuri

18. I'm a PANtheist. I'm hoping it'll all pan out somehow in the end.

19. #19 mrvaporist, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    I started going to church 3 years ago basically became a fundamentalist Christian. At first I was all about it I studied the hell out of the bible but started to notice the stuff that pastors love to ignore. For example women aren't supposed to speak in church, and need to wear head coverings.

Zechariah 14:1-2
    1 A day of the LORD is coming, Jerusalem, when your possessions will be plundered and divided up within your very walls. 2 I will gather all the nations to Jerusalem to fight against it; the city will be captured, the houses ransacked, and the women raped. Half of the city will go into exile, but the rest of the people will not be taken from the city."

Another big thing is pride is a abomination according to the bible. I noticed a lot of it with Christians. They shun you for drinking a couple beers or smoking but they'll go to old country buffet after the service and be gluttonous while stuffing there faces with fried chicken and Pepsi. It's such a double standard.

Pastors love to beat up on homosexuals I've noticed a lot of vile hateful remarks they say towards one group of "sinners" that doesn't seem like something Christ would have done to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

20. My main issue is that it is defeatist. It basically tells humanity we are doomed and that evil will prevail in this lifetime.