Cheeseds Cheese Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Cheesed, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Forgot a pic of the tea. Oops.

Attached Files:

2. Looks good man, I just checked out Arbico's site and it looks like they know what they're doing. A bit expensive though at $9/lb for compost. Still, glad to see you getting into it.

I haven't PH'd a tea in the 3 years I've been using organics, my understanding is that you'd kill off some of the bacteria by doing so (in addition to being an unnecessary step). I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure nobody does that.

3. Not much going on folks. At this point that's a good thing. They are just... growing. I was just in feeding them and decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to give you guys an update. They are taking more water now at a faster rate so I've been really paying attention to their needs. April 18th was my original projection for when I would be flowering but naturally with the setbacks I've had it'll be a while longer. If everything keeps up, probably another 2 weeks.

The first picture is the largest of the 4. I topped it for the second time just 2 days ago. I want to put the screen back in and start pulling them under but the other 3 are still a bit small and 2 of those haven't been topped at all yet. I may end up taking one out and mothering it while leaving 3 in to flower under the screen, but I haven't made a final decision on that just yet.

Attached Files:

4. Rebound from all topping is completed. I placed the screen today and reset my timers to reflect the change in "season". I'm cleaning the cool tube tonight and replacing the bulb for flowering. Stoked!! Pics with next update.

5. Ran into a bit of a problem...

I knew my bulbs were old and probably needed replacing, but the MH was working just fine so I figured they would be good for one last grow. I replaced the bulb with the HPS last night, and this morning it failed to fire.

I troubleshooted it for a while before trying to replace it with the MH which has been working just fine. The MH will no longer fire.

I went to my local big chain home store and bought a brand new Philips 400w HPS bulb, as they didn't have any 600w in stock. When I got it home and installed it, it too would not fire.

The ballast starts up and hums like normal and I heard a small crackle from the bulb but no light. Now I'm doubting that it's the bulbs at all. I don't believe it to be the ballast so perhaps the socket is bad. What this tells me is that it's awful to let things sit for as long as I had.

I ordered a new complete setup, much to my disdain. It should be here May 13th. I'm hoping it comes sooner but for now I need to keep them under 24 hours of my CFL rig. Hopefully that stops the hormone change for flowering and I'll only be postponed a week.

6. #66 sb420abc, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Most likely problem is the capacitor in the ballast. Open it up and find this device, remove it (do NOT touch across the leads, it will shock the hell out of you as it holds an electrical charge, even when disconnected from all electricity!)and get one of the same value that is on the cap in there now. They cost around 5 to 25 bucks, depending on where you get it. Most hydro stores sell them. I'd do that before I order a whole new setup. Also, you have to run the same wattage light you took out unless you have a variable wattage ballast. But your problem is your capacitor.

[​IMG]

7. I appreciate the information. You've been a great help to me so far. I already ordered the new setup, figure it will come in handy anyway. I am going to pull the ballast apart now and see if I can find it. Best case scenario I can fix it and sell the old setup to a friend.

8. I opened it up. Here's what is inside.

Attached Files:

9. That looks like a digital ballast. That's a horse of a different color and not worth messing with imo. I thought you had a magnetic ballast. But in your poic, look dead center where the round spot is, that is the cap. But, therer could be other stuff going on. This is a magnetic ballast...

[​IMG]

10. Yeah, I called around and the verdict is pretty unanimous. Digital ballasts are not generally repairable. Glad I have a new setup coming even if I'm not glad that I had to spend the money. One guy I spoke with was a wealth of information and said I may want to look into upgrading to a select-a-watt ballast since the companies producing them are pretty much paving the way for new technologies with them. Keeping the plants under a shit load of cfl until the new stuff comes in.

11. #71 Cheesed, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
    Howdy folks.

New light setup came in and it is work pretty well. Today is day 2 of flower so I just wanted to post a quick update showing what's going on. The screen has been placed for a while and now I've just been shifting things around as they grow through it. I fear that the screen is going to act more as skeletal support than a well executed ScrOG since all the issues I was having prevented me from topping and pinning the branches down well enough. That doesn't mean I'm going to not try keeping as much under the screen as possible.

I've decided to take this strain beyond the breeders recommendation after doing research and seeing how long others have let it go. BF says 50-55 days but I'm gonna let it go to 63. July 14th will be chop day if they don't ripen prior to that.

12. Forgot to add the pics.

Attached Files:

13. Sorry for the lack of updates. Time got away from me but here's one for you guys.

I'm having issues with salt buildup from the fertilizers so I flushed today. Purple stripes on the stems and yellowing leaves. Lots of defoliation but not enough to be concerned about. The bottom of the pots were very white as well so I knew what had to be done. I've flushed each pot with 5 gallons of water and cleaned off the bottom of my tent tray. Gonna lay off the fert for a while to see if those stems change back to green. Seems like I caught it in time so they should bounce back fairly well. Coming up on week 4 of flowering and just about 5 left.

Attached Files:

14. Hi
    Looks like underwater.
    Those yellow leaves occur when the plant gives off more water than the plant is taking in.

15. It's possible. I've been alternating feeding with watering and they are fattening up now. Don't have any pictures since I'm at work but we are in the final stretch; about 4 weeks to go. This is the last time I'll use these brand of smart pots. They leach nearly half the water I'm giving the plants out immediately after I'm in there.

16. #76 Cheesed, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
    Final flush and chop incoming.

Side note: Last post stated that 4 weeks remained and was posted on the 20th. I was way off. Check the calendar and trichs, they are ready.

17. Congrats bro, how did it turn out?

18. Sadly not as well as I was hoping for but at the same time about what I expected. I've been curing for about 2 weeks now and weighed up about 4 ounces this afternoon. The smell still isn't there so I'm hoping that comes with time. They don't smell like hay or anything like that but they still smell fresh with nearly none of that skunky fruit aroma I've gotten before with this strain.