Cheeseds Cheese Tent

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Cheesed, Feb 19, 2015.

1. What's up GC?!

So I've been on a break from growing for roughly the last 2 years now, and my life just feels like it's missing something. So I've decided to get up and running again. Here's some details of what I'll be doing over the course of the next few months:

So far, I've got my tent set up and most of the ducting ran. I will be using 600w of light throughout the grow and that is in place with my 6" cool tube. I still need to get a carbon filter and reroute an exhaust fan that I carelessly placed in earlier attempts to get everything prepared.

The tent is 32"x32"x54" and I will be doing my first ScrOG with 3 plants. The soil is store bought organic with some added EWC as well as some kelp meal, alfalfa, and perlite. As for genetics, I'm going with Blue Cheese from Barney's Farm. My freebies were Strawberry Blue from World of Seeds and 2 reg Afghani that do not have a breeder name stamped on them so I do not know what to expect from those. Please note that the only plants I'm growing in this journal are the blue cheese.

I've so far built the support for my screen but have yet to decide what material I want to use for the screen itself so I haven't placed it yet. I was thinking of using some orange snow fencing, but can't find it in a reasonable quantity as I do not need 50 feet of the stuff.

Here are some pictures, nothing is planted yet as I have some work to do before being 100% ready. I will be back in about a week with another progress update.

Attached Files:

2. Subbed first... Looking good man

3. they sell scrog nets on eBay for like 7$
    Hi btw

4. I'll check that out. Thank you. And hello

5. I've decided to go with speaker wire for the screen material, as it's sturdy and pliable at the same time. I'm gonna set it up tomorrow as well as reroute the fan and shuffle some cords around. It's getting real close to go time. Also tossing around the idea of adding another plant to the mix and making it an even 4. I'll put up pics once I get everything situated. Stay tuned, it's gonna be a wild ride.

6. I picked up both speaker wire and braided mason twine. Had to go with the twine since my staple gun couldn't pin the wire down tight enough. I'm happy with the way it came out. Now all that's left is to plant the seeds and get shit started.

Attached Files:

7. Good to see you up and running again.

I just have to say that wos-strawberry blue is my all-time favorite. Great flavor, wicked potency.

Good luck bro!! :bongin:

8. Thanks for stopping by :) I'll be sending you a message later sir.

9. Quick update for my subscribers.

Not much to report just yet. I'm happy to announce that 4/4 have come up. I'm currently using 5 cfl bulbs in a rig that I built out of an old fluorescent ballast. I don't want to flip on the HID too soon and risk nuking them with too much light since they can't really benefit from it anyhow.

Next update will be when I turn them on.

Attached Files:

10. Alright well. I didn't want to have to ask for help but I'm gonna need some on this one. My plants are growing unbelievably slow. It has been 3 weeks and I don't even have a second set of leaves yet. These things are really small, stems aren't fattening and nearly no vertical growth in several days if not weeks. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

11. #11 Deleted member 854384, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    It is possible Ra is angry with you. These things require blood sacrifice from time to time. gatta be human though, to show him u really care.

in all seriousness....

can you post up to date pictures?

what have you been doing? how much/often water? RO/tap/nutrient solution? do you let the medium dry out enough b4 re-watering? how is the temp/humidity/air flow?

i dont think anyone can tell you what ur doing wrong because no one knows what ur doing.

what size pots did u sprout in? looks pretty big, normally seedlings/clones are started in a much smaller container than what they will veg/flower in

12. #12 Cheesed, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    For the most part I've been leaving everything alone. Been struggling with the humidity that sits at 10% more often than not. I'm betting that's the source of my problems. Can't keep the moisture levels in the house up to save my life. Gonna go grab a cool mist humidifier and put that in the tent.

13. #13 Deleted member 854384, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    10%? lol a clone/seedling needs like 70+%

im willing to bet there are several problems but u are not making it easy. why dont u post new pics? 

u leave everything alone? so u have a automated watering system? tell us about it.

i bet u u have root issues as well

B1 vitamins are used for stress, u may look into trying to get them some of that.

sounds like ur environment is less than suitable and maybe u should do a little more research.

Clone domes are a good way to start seedlings, very easy to control humidity.

and i can tell you a himidifier in a tent wont help much if ur using an in-line fan. u could pulse the inline fan if temps dont become an issue to keep more humidity in. don't sacrifice ur temps, last thing u need is another stressor

why did u ignore my questions about water? did u feel they were unimportant?

no one is going to break their back to help u. make this easy, be detailed, and definitely dont skip over or ignore something. If u put little thought into this u probably wont even get into the vegetative stage at this rate.

i would think this would kinda be common sense but u should definitely mist ur plants btw. plain H20 or a very light foliar feed, don't over do it, water beads can cause burning with your lights

Strange, don't know what to make of it. Since it's happening to all of them I'd say it's definitely environmental rather than genetic.

Just me thinking out loud:
    I'm sure your temps are on-point now, but how were they when the soil was cooking? Low temps slow down that process, I have to cook my soil in the big tent with a heater. Slows down when the soil dries out too, that's why I cook in a covered rubbermaid and turn it every couple of days. Between your low humidity and the soil cooking in fabric pots (uneven distribution of moisture, soil dries out at the top and walls of the pots), possibly low temps as well, I'll bet the meals you added aren't fully broken down. How that relates to your problem now I can't really say, but it's something that caught my attention.

To expand on that, low humidity causes the plant to pass more water and nutrients though it. Here's an article about how humidity affects nutrient uptake: http://thehealingcanna.com/temperature-humidity/

So if your soil wasn't fully cooked at planting, and your humidity is causing the plant to draw more water and nutrients through it, I'd expect some issues but like I said, no idea how that relates to your situation if there's no damage. I would definitely put a dome on them to raise humidity.

15. Thanks for the reply and the link I will check it out. I'm completely to blame for any issues I've been having. I wasn't watering enough to offset the low humidity in my house and the pots were BONE DRY. I hit them hard with dechlorinated water and turned off my exhaust fan. The humidity spiked to 72% and temps to 81. After about an hour things stabilised with humidity staying around 59-60% most of the night and temps between 78-82. I'm gonna keep a close watch on things for the next few days and see if I can rescue them.

Cannot believe I let this happen.

16. heh... completely ignored, huh? wow. not gunna lie, im kinda offended.

At this stage your plants are incredibly sensitive so you want to change things slowly, even corrections. The last thing you want to do is add stressors.

I really wish you wouldn't have ignored my questions because the answers would enable me to help you out more.

In the OP you say:

Did you add those amendments or is that the listed ingredients of the bagged soil ur using? which brand soil is it?
    It doesnt really sound like you cooked up a water only soil, how are you getting them nutrients?

"I wasn't watering enough to offset the low humidity in my house and the pots were BONE DRY"

- I would really like to know what size pots you have the seedlings in as well as what type of water you are giving them. Reverse osmosis? tap? nutrient solution? How much water do you give them at a time and how often?

Be careful "watering enough to offset the low humidity". Your plants will drink more if there is low humidity but u can't solve the problem by watering more. One issue that people can run into when starting seedlings/clones in a really big pot is they do not water the medium properly. Since the plant hasn't been able to develop its root ball yet you do not need to fully saturate the medium. in fact if you do you will more than likely end up suffocating your roots because the plant just want be able to suck the moisture up fast enough.

I wouldn't recommend just turning your in-line fan off completely, you need to recycle the air still. Pulsing your in-line fan would be best.

Your best bet for fixing humidity issues in a tent is to get a spray bottle and mist your plants. 

please be sure to answer my questions and can u please post up to date pictures? seeing the plants is a huge part of identifying issues.

17. I ignored your post because I didn't like the tone you took, trying to get enough information to help or not. I'm not here to get scolded.

However the quoted post read much better so I'm willing to reply.

The amendments I listed were ones that I added to the bagged mix. I'm not entirely sure what the brand name is since I don't have the bag anymore. I haven't added any nutrients so far, didn't think I needed to with them being so small. Am I wrong?

They seedlings are currently in 3 gallon fabric grow bags that I intend on keeping them in until harvest (if I make it that far). I give them dechlorinated tap water and have not established a schedule. Quite frankly, I hadn't given watering much thought at all and that's part of the problem too. I also neglected to dampen the soil before planting the seeds. Yesterday I watered each of the 4 plants just enough so water started draining from the bottom of the pots. The humidity is now stable at 56% and temp is stable at 80.1 degrees.

As for nutrient solution, I have both bloom and grow liquid fertilizer that I will be using from general organics when the time comes.

I will start to pulse the in-line fan for air recycling as you suggested and will also mist the plants. Pictures are included. They are hurting, no doubt.

Attached Files:

18. ya i didnt read past the first line, gl

19. Good. I don't want help from someone like you anyway.