The Best Glass for Vapor That Ive Ever Used.....

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by lwien, Feb 19, 2015.

I'm not talking about the piece breaking or arriving broken. I'm talking about a couple bubbles in the glass (especially around the joints), a neck/intake joint that slightly leans to one side, and other aesthetics, do not affect the function of the glass, or the vapor that you are inhaling.

2. #42 Hated, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    Well if you think about it your cutting out the middle man and talking directly with the manufactuerer, thats got to be the biggest reason for it being cheaper not quality.

I wonder what the mobius bubblers go for at wholesale price. Figure its marked up 100% by the time it reachs LHS. Buy for a nickel sell for a dime.

It's really not only about cutting out the middle man.

This is a genuine Mobius Matrix Perc.

[​IMG]

This is the perc of D020-D Mobius Matrix knock off

[​IMG]

Can you see how much more precise the Mobius is? And just how many more slits/holes a real matrix perc has?

There is a precision in the workmanship of the Mobius piece that the Chinese either can't touch, or won't touch due to time constraints or skill. 

They do not function the same. They will not feel the same. Someone who has hit a real Matrix perc will know the difference. And anyone who says they feel the same is lying to you, or themselves.

So, Ill say the same thing I've already said, Chinese glass has it's place in the world. It is worth it's greatly reduced price, and not much more. And it is in no way the same thing as American glass for a 10th of the price.

4. #44 lwien, Feb 26, 2015
    Wow.    My D-020-D perk looks nothing like your D020-D perk at all.
    Here's what mine looks like.   I think they made some major improvements, eh?

While still not having as many slits as the Mobius, I actually prefer it this way being that, especially for vapor, for me, I like to keep the diffusion down to help maintain some of the taste.

[​IMG]

5. Not bad. Now if they could figure to how to add another 1-2 slits in between each existing slit. Not to mention everything else I've already mentioned.

But that would take time. And precision. i.e. cost them money.

[​IMG]

For me, that would provide too much diffusion.

7. #48 Everythingshazy, Feb 26, 2015
    That is nicer. No denying tha. But 10x better tho? No. That's exactly what I'm saying. The authentic pieces are nicer looking, but a few more holes or slits in a perc won't change the vapor noticeably. Definitely not enough to warrant paying an extra $200-900 for some of these pieces. another $50-$100 for better quality control and some more work on the details would be fine, but the difference between the originals and knockoffs is never several hundred dollars worth, imo.

The glass market can charge so much because due to weeds illegality most places, and the illegality of bongs most places too, the supply is low and the demand is high. and they can charge whatever they want because they know you can't go get something that functions pretty similarly from Walmart or Amazon. Watch when the country is legal, glass prices will drop as more manufacturers start popping up and having to compete.

Plus, as lwien has stated, too much diffusion for vapor isn't as good as it is for smoke, since vaporizer users dont have to filter the vapor to get out ash and such. Just to cool and moisturize it.

8. #49 walterbishop, Feb 26, 2015
    How do you know if it's 10 times better or not from a picture? Can you tell if the joints are straight and strong? Can you tell if it's been annealed properly? Can you tell if there's other imperfections in the glass, which may or may not affect the longevity of the piece?

There are so many more factors that you're ignoring. It's like you're trying to say it looks the same, therefore it is.

What about the things that are not visible, such as proper annealing?

Like this guys knock off egg. I know you saw this pic over at FC. It's not from dropping the piece, that's a bad weld.

[​IMG]

9. #50 walterbishop, Feb 26, 2015

Yes for vapor.

But matrix percs weren't initially designed for vapor. They are designed for maximum diffusion.

And a person who may strictly be into combustion, and is looking for max diffusion wouldn't get the same experience with a knock off.

i think the bottom line is there is a give for the gimme. The end user has to be the one to decide if the, "give,' is worth it to him. And if the piece will do what he wants it to do. And if not, is the break in price worth it to him for the loss of function or potentially longevity of the piece.

10. Mine's on the way :)  Really looking forward to getting it. Just praying it's a good one.

D020-D from the Sunshinestore on DH Gate?

Let us know how ya like it.

12. Sure is. And I will report back on it :)

It's such a sweet little piece.   Just the right size with just the right amount of diffusion for vapor.    No chug at all as long as long as you only fill it to the very top of the perc.

14. Because most pieces don't break without being dropped, and aside from not falling apart, how can glass be 10x better than other glass. It can't. It's not like authentic pieces get you higher lmao

15. I think we're getting into price justification here much in the same way as 'Cano users will argue that the Volcano is the best vaporizer there is.

16. tbh, I could never justify spending $300+ on a waterpipe.  So I'm very happy to get a decent one for only $34. It may not be as well built as the expensive one but they do the same job.  It's a bit like buying a cheap tool from ebay instead of spending a fortune on a Snap-On one. Yeah, the Snap On will be better built, better quality materials etc.  But the cheap one will still do the job perfectly well..

Would you tell someone to purchase a Chinese knock off Volcano?

Or, better yet, I know you're partial to the LSV. Saw an imitation of the LSV very recently. Would you recommend that, or the real deal?

This is a funny thing I've observed with the Vape crowd.

You guys have no trouble justifying the price of American made vapes. You are loyal to the artisans and small business owners who produce many of these products. Often to a fault.

But you give the big F You to American glass artists, and are happy to support the Chinese sites who knock off their designs and take money out of their pocket.

Big double standard going on there.

In that case why aren't you using a $5-$10 acrylic bong? It's not like a glass piece will get you higher, right?

See how that works...

Yes, and owning a single vape would do the job as well. But yet it looks like you have some VAS going on. How do you justify spending hundreds on another vape, when you have one that works perfectly well?

Answer that question and you have the answer to why a person pays $300. plus for a glass piece. The answer is there are many reasons! Just like I'm sure you have many reasons for you to own multiple vapes. Some purely function, others preference, or convenience.

And regarding your analogy, you buy the Snap On tool because Snap On will replace it for life if it breaks. Not quite the same thing.

HUGE difference between buying a knock off bubbler and a knock off vaporizer.    With a knock-off vaporizer, one has to be concerned with toxic materials used in their construction, inaccurate and fluctuating temperature controllers, materials used in the air and vapor paths, etc, etc, etc.   None of this comes into play with glass.    

For me, as I am sure for many others, especially when it comes to water tools used for vapor, buying a Chinese made knock-off is nothing more than buying a tool in which to pass vapor through water, but............if you want to purchase some glass where you can take pride in owning a genuine piece of art that is handblown by an artisan or artisans with whom you hold in high regard,  than buying a Chinese made knock-off would be totally antithetical to what the purpose is of owning such a piece.

The way I see it, these pieces are meant for two different markets.       My D020-D is nothing more than a water tool.    A Mobius Ion Matrix   on the other hand, is so much more than that.    The perfection of the Mobius pieces is something to behold, but when used for vapor, I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

There is also the pride of ownership with owning and using the originals and that pride of ownership along with the artistic values of these pieces demand the prices that they sell for.     But, strictly from a performance perspective, they don't.

19. Acrylic can melt and give you fumes. Glass doesn't change the vapor in any way.

A knockoff vape can have toxic materials and do the same. China glass might have a few scratches and a slightly leaning neck/intake joint. No health harm involved.

Chinese titanium nails on the other hand can be dangerous if not pure. You have to think about each type of product separately. Glass is glass tho. No kind of glass is going to leak fumes into your vapor. Plastics and metals can be dangerous when heated.