Blue Dream and Girl Scout Cookies 400w DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by CodeName47, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Right on, your results speak for themselves. I personally doubt that I will veg these plants out long enough to fill out the screen I built. I really don't know how they will stretch so I most likely will veg another week take clones then veg another week or two and flip them. Honestly I didn't intend on getting the GSC but one of my friends was raving about how amazing the flower was so figured why not. 

2. Thanks. I vegged them for 3 weeks then switched. I noticed mine tripled in size, while others kept vegging on 12/12 hours until they were ready.
    I want to try the supercrop and pvc design

3. I was planning for a 2.5x increase triple kind of scares me, but I'll keep them under the screen so should be fine. That's awesome, I'd like to follow that when you do. Are you going to do it on your next grow?

4. Im sure the screen will keep them at bay just fine.

I may try it for a grow later in the year.
    I'll start a journal on it when I do.

5. #25 CodeName47, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    I'm happy to report that I've pretty much solved my Reservoir temperature issues. The control bucket I added was sitting at 78 degrees where my two grow buckets were sitting at 75. The control bucket was not taped with foil tape it was just black so common sense says it was the radiated light heating them up. I taped up the lid of the control bucket and then taped around the sides of all three. Also as Hydro suggested I raised my light. Control bucket and grow buckets are now at 70-72 obviously not ideal but it will have to do.

PPM dropped to 150 from 205, so I topped off with fresh RO and raised PPM to 250. If I see another drop tomorrow I will raise to 300. New growth was pale green so I am assuming they were wanting more. 

The ladies are poking main tops through the net now, so SCRoG training will commence soon.  :hello:
    Also the fish tanky smell has disappeared magically I am still totally clueless as to what was the cause of that. I didn't really do anything other than get the temps down so maybe that's related? 
    No pics today, will get some next week.

-I guess I should also note (since I didn't in my original post.) that I have experience growing fruits and vegetables organically in soil so I'm not completely new to growing plants. Just Hydroponics and Cannabis. 

6. Glad you got it sorted out. Interested in seeing the updated pics.

When  first moved to CA, I was getting quite a bit of blue cookies from a dispensary until I got my new set up going.

I got one single blue cookies seed out of one oz from the dispensary. It was a male so I used its clones to make pollen and crossed it with multiple strains / genotypes that I have growing.

7. I would love to see pics of the BD. Im also growing it and just flipped it

8. Thanks man, that sounds pretty dope I'll have to go check out some of your grows if you've started journals.

9. You're way ahead of me brother I'm barely past 2 weeks veg. I'll veg another week take clones then one more week then will flower.

10. Here we are in the middle of Week 3 -

I made a slight modification to my system. I was noticing some inconsistencies from the control bucket to the grow buckets PH and PPM wise. I was reading a discussion about adding a control bucket to your grow buckets in order to do SCRoG that stated you didn't need any pumps. I personally don't like inconsistencies. So I had a old fish tank water pump laying around and rigged everything up to be able to circulate my water (don't laugh it looks ghetto I know.) I cycle the water twice a day once after lights on, and once before lights off. Problem solved. 

I did rotate everything so that the Controller bucket was closer to the tent opening so I don't have to be on hands and knees crawling under there every time I want to check my solution. 

I'm treating this first grow as an experiment to see what works, what doesn't work, what makes my life easier, and what makes it harder. Treating this as a learning experience has made it pretty stress free I'm not worried about end yield and how many lbs. I can pull from one plant.   Jokes aside this has been pretty fun so far. :)   

Here are some pics, I am fairly certain these will be the last pics of the roots until after the grow has finished as these plants will be growing into the nets soon. They are pasta colored which I'm chalking up to the GH nutes. 

20150302_021507.jpg
    20150302_021534.jpg
    20150302_131742.jpg
    20150302_131830.jpg
    20150302_131841.jpg

11. Hey guys I haven't posted in a while. I haven't abandoned the thread. I have been super busy with midterms this week and that takes priority understandably.

I have taken 2 cuttings from each plant and germinated an Autoflower seed that I'll toss in there for fun that I got for free.

My cuttings were droopy and are now holding themselves up I am hoping to see roots anytime between today and the 13th. They were taken on the 3rd.

I'll update with pics of everything tomorrow or Friday.

12. Phew. Well, ladies and fellas. I'm going to try to keep this update semi reasonable in duration. Seems a lot has happened in just the past 12 days, boy how time flies.

So on with it.

On Monday the 9th I swapped my bulbs out. The 400w HPS is in there now, and the light cycle is 12/12 (midnight - noon) I did it this way rather than running MH for a week or two until buds started to form because I want to see just how much these plants will stretch in flower. I plan to continue tucking them until Thursday of next week, then allow them to grow vertical. I have about 28" of space above my screen and between my light putting the light about 11.5" above the planned max canopy height. I want to know these plants very well for my second grow. 

The reservoir was a terrible idea (I knew it was when I did it, but I had to try) having no knowledge of either of these strains I was afraid it would happen and it did, the plants started feeding differently and I couldn't feed them separately.
    Solution: I took the damn thing out, put in water level view tubes per Rumples tutorial for his bubble buckets. Now I'm just topping off daily and I probably wont change the res until I flush. We'll see how things go. I will definitely be running the res again when I am growing clones of the same strain. Multi strain res is def not the way to go for these babies.

Yesterday I brought both buckets up in PPM again and have been doing so daily over the past week or so depending on what my TDS reads after lights on (midnight for me).  There's usually a minimum of a 50-75 ppm drop each day, and I would estimate that the plants are drinking 1 liter per day maybe a bit more haven't measured. 

Current readings:
    Blue Dream -
    PPM: 400
    PH: 5.4

Girl Scout Cookies -
    PPM: 430
    PH: 5.0

Temperature:
    Room: 79º
    Water: 73º 

Both plants are showing obvious signs of wanting more Nitrates, but I don't want to over do it. Funny most 1st grows over feed I seem to be under feeding a little bit. I could probably raise the nutes up to full strength but doing it gradually feels safer? What do you guys think? 

I also picked up a 2' 4 bulb T5 lighting fixture for my mother/clone chamber of the tent where the clones are and the Auto flower is at the moment. The Autoflower is a.... (searches for the package stay with me.)  It is a Samsara Ultraviolet Fem.

The UV Auto will be going into a 3 Gallon pot with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and I will be feeding General Hydroponics General Organics nutrient line. Bio Thirve Grow, Bio weed, and Bio Root for veg. Not the squid stuff that is "optional" don't want to smell that in my room. Same for the clones when they finally show me their roots. *crosses fingers* I plan to bonsai the strongest clones as mothers, and probably toss the weakest ones. 

Also, I have some issues that I am once again dumb founded by. A bunch of my foliage has what looks to be some little @#%hole chewing on them? I have some pictures but it would seem like common sense to me that the damage caused being as significant as it is the culprit would be visible? I sat in the tent, I literally left not a single leaf unturned and I found nothing, nadda, zilch, I used a 60-100x microscope on some parts of the plant still nothing. I don't get it at all. 

What else? What else? I think that pretty much covers everything. Hopefully I haven't forgot anything.[​IMG]

Also, I am trying to be a thorough as possible for anyone who might be following along, who may see this at a later time or is reading up themselves for a grow. So if anyone thinks I am missing anything or there is something I could be more descriptive about please let me know. 

Now for the part everyone loves the most [​IMG] Pics:
    Please let me know if you see anything that I have missed they look fine to me besides the leaf damage by who knows what. Should I spray these suckers with Big Time Exterminator or just wait to see what happens? 

Here's what the buckets look like now. 
    20150306_013426.jpg
    20150306_014918.jpg

Some of the leaf damage:
    20150307_011516.jpg
    20150310_002026.jpg
    20150310_002109.jpg

The Garden the Day I switched to flowering 
    20150310_003940.jpg

The 12th:
    20150312_115340.jpg
    20150312_003127.jpg

Today (30 +/- minutes ago) Midnight-ish
    20150313_003520.jpg

The cuttings and UV Auto seedling in root riot plugs.
    20150310_011632.jpg

A few more gratuitous shots.
    IMG_4527.JPG
    IMG_4528.JPG
    IMG_4530.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4532.JPG

13. Hey they are looking great!
    Not sure what is causing the leaf problems but my last grow had a similar issue but it was holes IN the leafs not the edges and I never figured it out. Maybe they're growing FAST and are a little hungry.
    I followed goldgrowers tutorial on feeding, I think its a sticky now. I don't remember if he gave exact numbers on what to increase ppm by when its dropping but what I did my last grow that seemed to work was increase it by what it dropped. So if it was 425 and then 400 next time I checked. I'd top off and measure out the nutes to bring it as close to 450 as I could, then observe its increase/decrease again to see how they're handling it. You're spot on to what the plants are up taking when the water level drops but ppm stays steady
    Its good your underfeeding tho that's an easier fix, I myself am guilty of overfeeding even on my most recent grow, the bagseeds tho and it was kinda on purpose haha now I know which are my light and heavy feeders, Im letting my autos starve until they for sure need nutes and starting them off at like 1/8 strength.

Thanks, yeah the damage is really boggling me. I had pests on my vegetable garden last year and it was easily diagnosed. I think these cannabis pests we have are super high-tech government drones with cloaking abilities. Anyway yeah I'm hoping the best for the clones and and I will look for goldgrowers tutorial that should help. Basically what I've been doing is when I see drops I just raise in increments of 50 to keep it simple. Hopefully I will have some more good updates soon.

15. #38 CodeName47, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
    Hey everybody, wasn't going to do an update till  Wed/Thur but I have stories of success to tell!

Hah, but anyway today I checked my cuttings and my first cutting is showing roots, the largest cutting of Blue Dream and I went ahead and transplanted it into a pot with FF Ocean Forest soil. I put a small bottle I cut in half to keep humidity up but I've read a lot that suggest to transplant when you see roots. So that's what I did. 

A second cutting I took a Girl Scout Cookies cutting is showing similar signs the Blue Dream was showing before it showed roots (yellowing leaf tips) so if that's an indicator the cutting is making roots then hopefully I'll see some GSC roots soon. 

Now for the flowering plants.

Current readings:
    Blue Dream -
    PPM: 570
    PH: 5.50
    \nGirl Scout Cookies -
    PPM: 530
    PH: 5.30
    \nTemperature:
    Room: 80º
    Water: 75º 
    \nIt's been pretty hot in my house today so I turned the AC on early, set it 70º hopefully that will correct the heat in the tent pretty soon. 
    \nAlso, for anyone who may be checking out this journal because of the Secret Jardin L120. the crappy "shelf" in the mother/clone/veg area is bad, it collapses under weight and it's because it's not big enough. I actually had it collapse on me this afternoon when I was putting the dome back on the tray after misting. Luckily for me I caught it before everything crashed to the ground. I would suggest you bend the prongs on the edges to open it up, or just cut a piece of ply/particle board to fit and secure it to the structure. It could just be mine but it's something to consider. Also there are some very tiny pin hole light leaks from the zipper and around the seams where the exhaust and intake sleeves are. My tent is in a closet and I don't think it would be much of an issue even if it wasn't. But something to consider. It's a great tent though just pointing out the Cons, there are plenty of Pros. 
    \nPics:
    Blue Dream with Roots
    20150314_214848.jpg
    \nCuttings, Clone, and UV Seedling area +T5 lighting. 
    20150314_221358.jpg
    \nCanopy before tucking
    20150315_002921.jpg
    \nAfter tucking
    20150315_003330.jpg
    \n 20150315_003028.jpg
    \nThe shelf in the L120 before I bent the prongs.
    20150314_220000.jpg

16. #39 CodeName47, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    Had a little extra time on my hands this evening so I wanted to make a quick post about how I track my Nutrients, for any curious cats out there. For the first few weeks I was using paper and pencil near the tent but that paper quickly became wet and stained from Nutrient spills. I'm usually pretty "anal" about tracking information so what better way than excel?  

The spreadsheet is pretty self explanatory but the run down is this. Every day when the lights come on, I throw my PH/TDS/Temperature probes into the buckets, record all the data then calculate how many PPM I want to adjust to based on the current reading and the following days adjustments. Then make the new appropriate adjustments and add back water as needed. Honestly I've mostly been winging the nutrient add back but sticking to the Lucas ratio of 1:2 occasionally I over shoot my target numbers but not by much. Then of course a "notes" section in case I notice anything note worthy to jot down for future reference or a reminder, haven't needed it thus far but it's there.

I have not been adding any PH up or down the PH has been really stable using distilled water.

PlantTracker1.png

17. Well hell. Last night after topping off with water and nutes I did the usual tucking branches under the screen. Snap, broke one of my main branches right through the center of the node. If I am lucky it should heal it self. The break wasn't so bad that the branch fell, it was still basically in the same position prior to breaking.

So I used some scotch tape just to hold it together and hope it heals. If not, lesson learned the hard way, the branch felt a little stiff and I wasn't as careful as I should have been with it. I'll update with pics later tonight.