First time indoor closet t-5 grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by johnnypotatos, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Any shoots that clearly won't produce can get pinched off. They'll just waste light and nutrients. Like...if the same 8" area has a couple of shoots going up, one of which is nearly brand new, one which is clearly going to be a top cola, get rid of the small one.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. DAY 57 from seed:

Weirdness in the closet-grow.  I've got a scrog jungle on my hands, and things seem to be progressing nicely.  I'm 2 weeks into flowering, and the odor has almost diminished to nil.  Any ideas why this may be?

The plant on the left is an Aurora Indica, the other two are AK48s.

20150413_182957.jpg
    20150413_183009.jpg
    20150413_183018.jpg
    20150413_183039.jpg

The cat has been pruning below the scrog line for me.

3. Day 58 from seed:

A water and light nute and BOOM! overnight.  I added the two cfl's on the sides, figuring I bought em so I'll use em.  Temps in the closet remain around 75.

I'm pulling about a handful of undergrowth out everyday, so as not to stress these plants.  Norman the cat is assisting.

Any tips?

20150415_005914.jpg

20150415_010027.jpg

4. #64 SIRSOG is my bitch, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
    Plants look healthy and you have a Nice set up going. Don't think you need anymore tips the way they're looking.

You can use a two liter bottle for a dome as well. As long as you put holes in it. Cheaper and gets the job done if you're ever in a pinch.

Happy planting and good luck to ya

Edit: Some plants lose smell during the process. Like Polar Express Auto has little to no smell where as White Widow is Very strong. Your plants have shown more progress than what mine has lol

5. At what point should I stop tucking? .. today a few stalks are about 2 inches above the rest... I'd like to maintain as even a canopy as possible.

6. 20 days into flower, about a month to go.  Looking good in the closet!

20150420_214331.jpg
    20150420_214527.jpg
    20150420_214545.jpg

7. Looking good man. Some nice plants you got going there!

8. just got caught up.. looking damn good. subbed up :D

9. #70 johnnypotatos, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    4 weeks into flowering -- keeping them fed (1/2 strength general hydroponics maxi-bloom) once a week, watered once or twice in between, trimming fan leaves as they shade the bud sites. 

20150427_183724.jpg

20150427_183733.jpg

Attached Files:

10. 5 1/2 weeks into flowering.

Some fan leaves are yellowing, and the crop smells like dirty diapers.  

20150506_222300.jpg
    20150506_222316.jpg

A few questions--

The AK48s (middle and left) have a estimated flowering time of 7 - 9 weeks, the Aurora Indica is 8 - 10.
    I'm assuming that with my T5 setup, my time frame will be on the longer end.  Fair assumption?

At what point should I stop nutes?

Finally, although I'm growing two different strains, I frankly cannot tell them apart.  Weird!

11. 8 1/2 weeks into flower ... I think they're done.  Take a look-see and tell me what you think.

20150529_160318.jpg

20150529_160307.jpg

20150529_160300.jpg

12. How'd she weigh up? That looks amazing considering you grew under fluorescents.

13. I got just shy of 9 oz of bud, which is curing in jars now, and about 7 oz of trimmings which I'll use for butter.  Also a nice blob of scissors-hash.  [​IMG]

This to me is a TON.  To put it in perspective -- I smoke about 2 or 3 oz in a year!

The electric bill came to about $1 a day, fertilizer was $13, and soil was $18.  So, $15 an oz.  I'll keep doing this, the same way.  

14. Congrats on your first grow. I hope that I was helpful in all of this. Sorry that I wasn't around as much, life got crazy for a bit and I just was ignoring social things to take care of business. I just finished setup of another flower room, which I'm putting the finishing touches on today. I may end up posting a video. I really do want to keep a log of that or another room just so that I can have a progress log that people can comment on. As the legality part comes around, it's becoming more societally acceptable to grow and I don't have to hide in the closet about it as much, but old habits die hard. I have literally dozens of notebooks and SD cards containing pictures logging data and growth since the start of my growing career (2011). Anyway sorry for the long-winded mess on your month-old post, and I hope that you come back to give us a smoke report now that it's cured. Also, if you can spare the money I'd send a sample off to a reputable lab for testing. It can give you a good baseline to compare to other growers with a similar strain, as well as can often help you to identify problems.

15. #76 johnnypotatos, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
    This is frustrating. I typed up a lengthy smoke report and summary of lessons learned, posted, and it's gone. Brief recap:
    AK-48s - not potent
    Aurora Indicas - very potent
    Both taste AWFUL.
    Not bashing the strains, this was 100% operator error.

Since this thread I did anther run of Aurora Indicas -- with FANTASTIC results: PRETTY, POTENT, AND SMOOTH!

Here's what I think I did wrong the first time and what I did differently the second:

1st time - To many chemicals/nutes : FFOF + Maxigro (or Maxibloom) + superthive + PH up each feeding
    2nd time- Let FFOF provide the nutes during veg, using straight tap water (PH 7). At 12/12 added maxibloom to tap water until PH 6, noted the amount added, and then just added this amount every time thereafter, so I only measured PH the one time.

1st time - fed on a schedule
    2nd time - fed based on visuals

1st time - chopped everything at once
    2nd time - harvested each plant on its own time, finishing times varied by almost 2 weeks!

1st time - did not wash plants before drying
    2nd time - washed as follows :
    cut stalks from plant for hanging. trim. fill three 5 gallon buckets with water. add 5 bottles of H202 to the first, a cup of lemon juice and a cup of baking soda to the second, nothing to the third Dip and gently swish stalks for 30 seconds in bucket 1, then 2, then 3, then shake off excess water and hang. Take a look at the water. If your grow room is like mine (carpeted, frequented by cats, open to the rest of the house during lights on), there will be an astonishing amount of dust, dander, carpet fiber, hair, crud floating in the water. Now get out your lupe and look at the tricombs. NO VISIBLE DIFFERNCE. I tried this after reading about it (google "bud washing", ignore the people who are bashing it without trying it, try it yourself on a small stalk next time and see for yourself! I'm a believer).

1st time - dried on a screen in a room with moving air from small fan for 7 days until stems snapped (as advised in many articles) before jarring
    2nd time - dried hanging in room with no air movement for 3 days until just slightly dried, and jarred with a #62 humidipaks

And that has made all the difference! This run has only been in jars one week. Even this early, it's really, really good.

I'm putting these new ideas to the test in a brand new thread that launches today. Check out LEMON WALKER & CHERRY BOMB T-5 CLOSET GROW