Self-Torture Tools to Improve Your Resolve

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NorseMythology, Feb 16, 2015.

1. What are some of the tools you employ to challenge yourself? By torture i dont mean self-mutilation but inflicting discomfort or pain to overcome psychological barriers.

Lately I have been working out fairly rigorously, afterward I jump in the shower which is 45degrees, it is brutally cold to the point it is quite painful. Just about every part of me opposes this, but I do it anyway. I appreciate the health benefits of it, but even more, the psychological resolve to do something that I have a strong disincentive to not do.

What are some things my fellow blades do to challenge your resolve?

2. This is my whole motto. Transformation through catharsis. Face the pain head on, don't shy away. It is through unbridled intensity and passion that we overcome and conquer the world. By promoting pain, you better understand the illness and are better able to treat it.

3. I must admit I have little self control and discipline

My new years resolution was to take steps over the year to improve my overall lifestyle.

So far no steps have been taken. Or rather I keep falling down the stairs.

Quit caffeine for a week. Then back on again. Work out one day. Practiced music like twice...

I keep buying veggies and letting them go to waste.

Its not as though I've not made any progress though. As we speak I'm snacking on raw raddishes.

My breakfast this morning was a sandwich, bell pepper, 2 raddishes, and grapes.

I've taken out my guitar and set it up in the living room so its in sight and more convenient to practice. And went out and got headphones so I can practice without bothering my wife and kid.

Still trying to get in the habit of working out, eating healthy, and not relying on caffeine to not feel like shit.

Who here has struggled with the addictive lifestyle of lazy decadence? Its a drug addiction itself....

-yuri

4. Well i dont have a decadent lifestyle but ive struggled with laziness.

I am trying to kick refined processed food, sugars, caffeine and cigars. So exercise and cold showers are building my resolve to face the uncomfortable withdrawl symptoms.

I already eat pretty healthy.
    I had soaked oats, maple syrup, grapes, banana, strawberries and cashews for breakfast. Yummm

I suggest just working out even 5mins a day, even if its just yoga or stretching. First make it a habit and make it enjoyable. Once you make it a pattern, start ramping up and challanging yourself. They cool part about the cold shower afterward is, if my body isnt blazing hot from my workout the shower is even more agonizing. So i am forced to work out hard enough to get a high body temp. Once you start working out think about what you can feed your body to build muscle and burn fat (well my goal is weight gain).

Here is a good resource to learn what the healthy foods can do for your body, along with nutritional breakdown, etc.

http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

5. Do you have any things you self inflict to help build resolve?

6. When I push myself beyond my mental and physical limits I get chronic fatigue syndrome so I just accept my true laid back nature.

But if I was truly desperate in the throws of an existential crisis my Tyler Durden would be a rasta who does mixed martial arts and deep meditation.

Jujitsu

Always been terrified of violence

Now it's the sport I do and it makes me a stronger person each time I go

8. I have never trained in martial arts classes, but a friend of mine was taking taikwondo and we were weight lifting together. So he was teaching me some of that and we watched mixed martial arts and trained with our friends. It was a confidence booster for sure! Ive never had to get into a physical confrontation but i am confident enough if i had to.

Putting myself in uncomfortable situations. I don't think you need self-torture to improve resolve. Resolve itself is what allows you to sustain difficult experiences. To be build resolve is entirely a mental effort. You will have soothing thoughts in your mind that want you to succumb to laziness and giving up, but you must passionately instill resolve in yourself to overcome all obstacles and make a clear path towards the goal. Resolve is something you set at the onset of some attempt and an instant's faltering is all it takes to ruin the resolve you have maintained. Resolve must begin strong, always be acknowledged at all times and it will end strong. With your goals accomplished with fervour and concentration.

Do you play M&B Warband by any chance?

I used to, very much

The signature tipped you off huh

Yep. Currently pretty addicted to it myself haha. Just a good way to waste time, but I take pride in my skills :)

Step up to the next generation son, Chivalry: Medieval warfare is where it's at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJeKtNHV1Yk

last you hear out of me tho dont want to derail the thread

13. Pshh to hijack my own thread, age of empires rise of rome is where its at lol

14. eh I didn't`t think medieval chivalry was that good, and I do the same as op, but probably not as cold lol I didn't`t even know it helped psychologically

15. Fasting is probably another good one

16. I joined the military. I hated it. But look at how "resilient" I am now.

17. Are you resilient? Or were you just broken to fit a mould?>

18. #18 MaxK, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
    Resiliency: The power or ability to return to the original form, position, etc., after being bent, compressed, or stretched; elasticity.

I certainly haven't changed my personality. I'm the same individual i was before i left. Albiet with some memories i could do without. I have however taken a few things from my experience that i believe are beneficial. I followed the strict rules and played my role without letting it consume me. In a sense i'd say i'm fairly resilient.