Grinder for lots of kief?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by guesswhat, Feb 15, 2015.

1. I have used a few grinders, most of which were cheap ones. They would dull fast and supposedly leave traces of aluminum in your ground bud. But they got loads of kief in the bottom chamber. Most recently I have been using a Santa Cruz Shredder. It has stayed sharp and supposedly doesn't get aluminum in your ground up weed. It collects NO kief though. It has the section and I can see some kief stuck in the screen... but a few months of use and not even enough is produced to top a bowl!

So any suggestions on grinders that collect dubious amounts of kief? I would like having stay sharp teeth and an easy grind of course.

2. The amount of kief you harvest is going to depend on the bud you buy, not the grinder. If you look at a bud up close, notice the "hairs" on it. These are called terpenes(which are grouped in trichomes I believe) and these are what kief is generally harvested from. Some grinders have "kief catchers," which will collect your kief for you, but the overall amount of it is determined by the weed. If you're looking for reasonably priced grinders with kief catchers, check out Chromium Crushers, or Sharpstone! Hope I helped, smoke on :smoke:

3. It could just be that the SCS has a really fine screen, so it collects purer kief, rather than mostly kief and mixed with tiny chunks of bud. I use a 4 piece sharpstone and if the bud is kiefy, it collects in copious amounts.

4. Thanks guys. I think it is the screen being super fine, I remember that being in the description. My recent bud isn't the most covered in trichs I have ever seen, but even before then it was the same. I'll look into the sharpstone you both mentioned, thanks!

5. #5 steadyglobbin, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    Love my sharpstones unrelated to kief collection.

6. I would recommend a pollen box.  I bought a cheap one for $25 and it works AWESOME.  I also use it as a rolling tray and storage for weed I've already ground up but haven't used.  You can get more keif by moving your ground up buds around the screen of the pollen box using a credit card. (my box came with a card)  I usually grind up a weeks worth of bud (to be used in a vaporizer) and leave it in the box.  As the buds dry out, more trichomes will fall through the screen as the bud is moved around the box. (sort of like dry sifting)

7. That's awesome! I think I will get a pollen box, especially at that price :)

8. if youre goal is high quality kief i would also suggest a pollen/kief box....excellent gold goodness and much better than any grinder screen, i think.

Awesome, links are always appreciated! Is there any reason not to get the titanium Space Case for $5 more?