Most beneficial Improvements to Your Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Distrex, Feb 14, 2015.

Yeah... that was me being too excited and impatient.  Pretty much as soon as the package was opened I had a tea breweing up and didn't even think about it.  :smoke:

Wow.  Lot of great information in there.  Thank you :D

Haha.  Yeah I've had a few tanks back through the years.  Chalk it up to a boy with a new toy getting a little too eager :D

Yeah, pretty much everything I've ready about comfrey is 100% positive.  Especially....

.... When you use one of these sterilized root cuttings.  Some fantastic uses for your comfrey.  Me and the wife are going to be getting the veg/outdoor garden ready in the next couple days.  I may have to till up a spot to add in some comfrey.

Take this with a grain of salt, as I have not yet added mycorrhiza to my grow yet.  But everything I've read about them, is that the trichoderma aren't the best guys to add in.  They can feed on some of the more beneficial mycorrhiza.  However, plenty of the mixes out there include it.

This post has been the biggest/best repository for mycorrhiza:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/976433-mycorrhizal-fungi-myths-truths.html

2. #42 waktoo, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

I addressed this issue two weeks ago, and quoted you specifically when I did so.  This was before you purchased the "wrong" inoculant...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1169188-organics-lounge.html/page-1101#entry21288982

I even linked to the above post when you asked similar questions in the "No-Till" thread eight days later...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1299862-no-till-gardening.html/page-303#entry21319011

When you ask questions, you need to pay attention to the answers, because they (more often than not) ARE answered.  And answered in detail, or with links that provide the detail...

3. I feel partly responsible for this confusion, though that could just be my ego.

I did buy Mycogrow, but not for cannabis. I bought it to help transplant trees, this was clarified between Wak and myself shortly after I posted about it.

Since then, the ingredients and their uses, benefits, contraindications, etc have been more than expounded upon. Many other people have also offered their experience on what they use for innoculating cannabis plants.

The information's all there, he's just gotta be paying attention to it.

4. #44 Anatman, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Also, a little book about seaweed came from Florida today... :metal:

-And now I want to spray everything with a kelp tea -_-

5. #45 Distrex, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
    What do you usually do with the malted barley? Make sprout teas from it?

So far most everyone has been talking about their indoor plants, any of the organic outdoor gardeners have any grow changing things that they've added into their grows?

6. TJ is right, malted barley/Fulpower/agsil "tea" and aloe powder/coconut water/Agsil "tea" have both blown my socks off. The day after applications of these my plants look ridiculous.

Bham

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. #47 Distrex, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    I'm starting to get a little bit of a fungus gnat problem. The two best fixes I'm seeing for that is mulching and neem. Both of which have already been mentioned here. But they are now going to be the next big things I'm adding to my grow.

Right now I have perlite on hand, so I have mulched the top of the pots with an inch or so of that. That's supposed to prevent the larva from hatching and turning into mature adults.

Tomorrow I plan on heading to home depot to pick up some neem oil. I've heard nothing but fantastic things about neem, and it seems I get to see it for my self soon :D.

8. #48 donothinggardening, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
    You got it man! The "malted" grains are seeds that have already been sprouted and then dried to preserve the enzymes. They are used in beer brewing and bread making. I bet they would work just as good outdoor as they do indoor :)

Instead of home depot, I would highly recommend getting some Ahimsa brand neem oil (or karanja oil). This comes straight from India where neem has been grown for thousands of years and is of the highest quality available. Price-wise, I would bet that it is comparable to the stuff found at HD. It can be purchased from neemresource.com or buildasoil.com. well worth it, imo. Karanja oil comes from a different tree, but is very similar and can be used the same way. I actually prefer working with Karanja because it is far less viscous and is therefore much easier to emulsify in water. Neem oil can be thicker than molasses and difficult to get mixed thoroughly into water.

For gnats, I use a combination of different things.. some blue/yellow sticky traps cut into small pieces and set on the surface of the soil will catch adults and reduce their numbers that way. Bacillus Thuringiensis is a bacterium that can be purchased and will take care of the larvae in the soil. Regular watering with that will really reduce their population quick. Add some neem oil sprays and neem cake topdressings and the gnats will really have a hard time surviving your wrath. mwahahahaha! :devious: :) hth!

9. I've been brewing beer for years now. But until I started reading around in the forum, I never knew that it was used in gardening like that. But it makes perfect sense. All those growth hormones and enzymes that are being produced during germination can only help things along.

Those are probably far better places to get what I need. I just usually default to home depot or lowes since they are right up the street. But getting a better product from a smaller business is always better. I think I'll hut up buildasoil, and out.my business where it should be, a small independent store.

Poke has a walk through in one of his journals on how he makes his own fly traps. I'll have to do a little searching and may give those a try.

Neem cake/meal will absolutely make its way into my next soil mix. I think for now a good layering of perlite mulch, some sticky traps, and some neem oil should send the little bastards to hell! Hahaha.

10. Malted barley teas and increase in pot size , I went from 7g to 15g  has created a big problem , My plants 4 that I normally grow in my limited space have taken over. 

11. lol

sounds like a good kind of problem to have

12. That's a coupe hits for malted barley and spout teas. These may need to be something that I add to my grow sooner rather then later.

If any we all could be so troubled. Haha

and you won't see it either unless said person has no knowledge of light in general. LED's are not cheaper to run, perhaps 10% if you don't need the heat in winter months, then it's a wash. plus something i do not care for and that's the insistence that certain wavelengths are unneeded,  when in fact this is very much limited area of research. a 600 actual watt LED uses the same power as a 600 watt HPS and it does it across it's usable wavelengths and not just 2 or 6 or 11 bands, that's just funny when we see there are well over 400 "bands" in the visible spectrum.

for me a great addition to my organic grow was the time it freed up for me to study and do much research. i have found that D.L.I  or Daily Light Integral, is equally important to PAR watts and PPFD as measured in micro mols. reason being too much DLI retards growth and too little does the same and very few people even know what it means let alone apply the equations.

that and starting my own worm bin, i really enjoy them little dudes.

14. Would you care to expand on the benefits of understanding dli? How did your understanding of it free up more time for you?

What kind if setup do you have for your worm bin?

sure, daily light integral is total quantity of light delivered over the course of an entire day expressed as uMol , per M-2, per day.

here is a link to learn more if you like.

http://www.specmeters.com/assets/1/7/A051.pdf

it freed up more time because i do not have to guess what my plants need, i can apply the correct amount of radiation per day and more importantly avoid providing too much radiation per day which is even more detrimental (and expensive) verses not enough per day, it forces me to work more hours at my job to pay for excess electricity. lol

you see many people "know" how many watts, or lumens or Lux they have going at any given moment, but few know how many they have per day and to a plant, that's vital information. imagine laying on a sunny beach and after several hours most people have had enough, now keep those people on the beach for 4 more hours and what do you get? plants are no different, although they tolerate and need a full days sun, they do not need a full day and a half's worth of radiation per day, which many people actually give them unknowingly.

i use the Worm Factory 360 and i enjoy it, may have to order a couple more bins now that my worms have multiplied so much this past year.

16. I can definitely see how information like that can help you have the time to focus on other things.

It looks like I've got some more studying to go do. Haha.

17. If you have the space, a worm bin or box, grow outdoor if possible or greenhouse. Keep it organic, I even started aquaponics; fish and a water pump, only addition is food for the fish. You are probably growing for yourself, if so you don't want to turn this into a second job. It's weed, it will grow. Also security from bugs people and animals.

Attached Files:

18. what kind of fish do you use? Btw I check your past post out, your plants look fantastic