Trimming fan leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bamther, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Alright, I'm into week 8 of flower, but have very few Amber trich heads. Maybe one more week. Here's the question, can I, or rather should I trim off the majority of the fan leaves to give the last week more light exposure to all the bud sites? Are there any pros or cons to doing this so close to harvest?

2. At the very last week considering you're days from harvest, i would guess it can only do good. I'm no pro, but how I see it is: cutting fan leaves will provide the bud sites a small increase in growth to put them "through the finish line", and if the plants end up not reacting positively to it then you can just pull em anyways. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. A bit more info:
    The strains are- THC Bomb, and super silver haze
    Grown in soil
    Mh/HPS

4. I would avoid cutting on thc bomb, I had mine start throwing nanners and I didn't touch her.

5. Plants don't stop producing trichomes until they are past being ready to chop (unless they are stressed into dying early).

Photosynthesis is needed for plants to continue to produce trichomes.

So, this can be presented as a direct relationship linear equation that boils down to less leaves = less trichomes.

6. I'm going to hold off on trimming then. Only a week left anyway. Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

7. If a fan leaf is shading a bud site, I remove it by mid-budding, but...

my grow method is F & D using polished rocks from Dollar Store, so...

I feed every ~ 2 hours from mid flower on

Meaning...

plant is still getting plenty of food, and there are ample leafs for photosynthesis